Need Help! RAPID OVERRIDE

Thread: RAPID OVERRIDE

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default RAPID OVERRIDE

Does anybody know if there is a "M" code to control rapid override? My problem is that when I am drilling deep holes I would like the rapid at a lower setting and when traversing between holes or going to get a new tool I would like to take advantage of the full 1200 IPM rapid rate. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Are you using a CANNED CYCLE for your deep hole drilling? If so, which one? Some cycles omit the RAPID. I guess you are wanting to slow down the feed rate when the tool goes in for the next peck cycle?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am using G83 canned cycle and yes, I would like to slow down the feed going back into the hole because chips are sometimes still in there and I can hear a sickening crunch and fear breaking a drill. I am a newbie at the OKK since the old-timer quit.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

CNC BOB, I was afraid you were going to say that one. How deep are the holes you are drilling? Will your machine handle subroutines? I had a similar problem drilling 3 in. deep holes into 4140 and I wrote a subroutine to handle it. I'll write you a sub and send it via e-mail for free if you let me know the paramaters. Hole depth, drilling distance before it pecks, your feeds you are using etc. then all you will have to do is insert the subroutine number inplace of your G83 line and make sure the subroutine is in your list of programs on the machine. Don't worry the sub will be very short depending on the depth of the hole and number of pecks. You will be able to edit the sub for other jobs and save it as another number. Another option is slowing down the rapid with your rapid override switch if you have one on the control. If you have several coolant lines dedicate one to blasting in the hole when the drill retracts.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

thanks for the offer boots, the machine can handle subs although I am new to this particular machine. Hole depths vary depending on the job, and also I am wondering if this something that has to be edited after posting or if the post will output the special sub? I really would like the first peck to go down 1 X the diameter or so (again it depends on the material) and then subsequent pecks to be a different amount. does this requirement complicate things and is it a matter of using variables in the sub? this control is the 600 series which nobody seems to be able to tell me where the books are. thanks again

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had to write a stand alone sub to do my work as I don't write subs using C++ or Basic. I just use the G-Code and write them in longhand. Your post will not insert it you would have to do this manually. Maybe this isn't what you are looking for. I thought perhaps I could get you through a job but it appears now that you have a lot of jobs that require deep holes of various sizes and depth. You would need a sub for each program that has different holes depths. Some controls do allow for a longer peck at the top then subsequently shorter pecks the deeper the drill goes. (like the Yasnak control on a Moris seki Mill)