Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: stepper motors for sale ?

How much it would cost to me in 2020.

Downloads
    Uploads

FWIW
    The ruland 2" diameter are nfg for the y axis due to clearance , but the cheap chinese couplers fit even though they are sketchy . I haven't tried the z yet since the setscrew fix seems to be holding . A lot of money spent experimenting for the sake of $60 worth of novakon parts

Downloads
    Uploads

the stepperonline motors are way beyond the capabilities of the stock novakon motors and a fraction of the cost . Some much better bearings came in for the y and I've replaced the cheap ones and at the same time replaced the motor with a stepperonline motor . I got the z to near 200ipm and the y was up to 230 and I didn't bother to push it further . I set them down to 120 but since reliability is more important than speed I'll set them at 100ipm and buy a replacement for the x which is unfortunately a newer novakon motor

I wanted to keep this all original but in the end it's better than it was out of the box . I may start looking into a higher rpm spindle , I knew once I start the butchery it won't end and it's why I never wanted to start

Downloads
    Uploads

Good to hear those motors are working well.

Downloads
    Uploads

the difference is amazing . I've done some adjusting to the mill to tighten things up a tad . The z and y are set at 120 and so far it hasn't skipped a beat while running an extended warm up program . With the new motor and bearings the y is nearly silent , and a far cry from what I am used to . The x motor is next and I'll likely upgrade those bearings as well . These really are better sounding motors , and 120 is pretty much double what I was able to safely run at
    I'm at least feeling more positive about it all and at the end of the day it's all good casting . If novakon goes tits up then whatever , I'll just put better stuff on it and it'll be a frankenmill

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by metalmayhem View Post
    the stepperonline motors are way beyond the capabilities of the stock novakon motors and a fraction of the cost . Some much better bearings came in for the y and I've replaced the cheap ones and at the same time replaced the motor with a stepperonline motor . I got the z to near 200ipm and the y was up to 230 and I didn't bother to push it further . I set them down to 120 but since reliability is more important than speed I'll set them at 100ipm and buy a replacement for the x which is unfortunately a newer novakon motor

I wanted to keep this all original but in the end it's better than it was out of the box . I may start looking into a higher rpm spindle , I knew once I start the butchery it won't end and it's why I never wanted to start
    Can you post the part number of the stepper you bought? I would like to keep a spare on hand.

Downloads
    Uploads

here's the link to the motors I got . I ordered another last night . It's a drag to be swapping out an already new x motor and cutting a new cable both which cost me $350 but the improvement is too much to ignore . I'll probably use the old motor on the g0704 that I'm rebuilding

( https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/ne...m-4-wires.html )

Downloads
    Uploads

Another source of couplers. I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before I had forgot about it. Automation direct. I have some stuff from there and it has all been of good quality. In particular I have one of their VFD's. Never had any issue with it. I have put some of their components into repairs in the past. I bought from them when I was in the usa but they are encouraging orders from Canada now.

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...rive_couplings

Downloads
    Uploads

I've had good luck with Automation Direct's VFD on my Bridgeport for the past 10 years. And I live about 10 minutes from their warehouse.

Downloads
    Uploads

I checked out automation direct but they don't have the same style of coupler . I actually goofed up my numbers when I mention the size previously , the length is 57mm if memory serves me correct . So far I've run a lot of parts with the previous hack I did to the z and I think I'll leave well enough alone . The y axis got one of the smaller disk couplers I bought and that seems to be holding well so far .

I keep expecting to hear motor stall with the rapids being near double of what they've always been , but the mill sounds better than ever . One immediate difference since changing the motors is that the z now drops on powering down and I need to add a block of wood to stop it . The original motors are much more stiff to turn by hand and the z never dropped on me .

The gas shock has always been a useless turd and I disconnected it long ago because it was causing problems . Maybe the day will come that I'll create some form of counter balance , but it's not a high priority in my mind

My x motor arrived last week and I'll swap it out when i have the time to do so . Stepperonline may be a bit costly for shipping but it balances out when the motor is less than 50 bucks , and they ship fast . They also have some dm860n drivers on clearance for $27 so I jumped on 3 of those for my other rebuild

Last edited by metalmayhem; 09-21-2020 at 02:48 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234