Novakon upgrades. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Novakon upgrades.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Novakon upgrades.

upnorth.....thanks for the pic. I thought this thread would send me updates, but I guess not.

I'll have to look at my cabinet and see what will be involved, physically, with installing the new components. I had the shop shutdown for 6mo or so.....I really should have done it then. lol

Don't have to be too bright to be me :)
    bluehandsvideo on youtube

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mklotz70 View Post
    upnorth.....thanks for the pic. I thought this thread would send me updates, but I guess not.

I'll have to look at my cabinet and see what will be involved, physically, with installing the new components. I had the shop shutdown for 6mo or so.....I really should have done it then. lol
    Some times how you get updates are based on how long it has been since you last logged on. The install is really easy. I did make a new board to mount it on but that was because the original was quite warped. If you decide to go the acorn route I will help you as much as I can. I owe you a little because I used your video about setting up a torus pro as a guide when I set mine up. I do have a stepper version so I'm not 100% sure how similar the install is.

I highly recommend the upgrade. Weird little glitches are now gone. I no longer cringe when jogging because axis runaways are a thing of the past now. The acorn applies tool offsets 100% of the time. CNC is more fun now.

Downloads
    Uploads

Does the Acorn have Wizards or Conversational Programming?

Downloads
    Uploads

The acorn does have conversational programming. I can't comment on its quality though I have never used it. I always use cad and cam on the mill. From what I have read it would be more useful on the lathe than it is on the mill. One of the additional reasons I went with the acorn is that they have some professional quality boards if I need an upgrade. They are expensive but eventually I want to get a high quality machine where I can justify putting a high quality control (($2000) on it.

Downloads
    Uploads

I did a modification a while back to the coolant system. Massive improvement in coolant flow but it had a problem. I used adhesive pads and ty-wraps to fasten the coolant lines in place. The first set up worked well and held the lines in place. After a year or so the adhesive failed and I needed to replace the pads. The new ones just would not stick well enough and would fall off after a week or so. A thorough cleaning made no difference in how long they pads stayed attached. I was wandering through the hardware store and picked up some conduit clamps. The new setup is 100% solid and makes it easy to adjust the coolant nozzles. A future upgrade will include an air blast to use while cutting plastic.

Novakon upgrades.-coolant-modification-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

I'd like to put more coolant to mine but the old original base doesn't allow for it without an inevitable flood on the floor . Keeping the leaks under control between the chip pan and the base has always been a problem . The coolant tends to eat it's way through any kind of sealant , so 3 tubes of pl premium has resolved that by creating a think corner bead . It's not pretty but it works , pl sticks to anything and stays stuck .
    My old pump needs work and I've got a cheapy princess auto submersible put on the mill now which works fairly well , and next thing will be to ditch the old tank .
    I also removed the spindle cover which has reduced a lot of unnecessary machine noise . Next thing I need is to take the time to move my limit switch on the X and attempt to get closer to the advertised travels , so far I haven't needed the extra travel but I will soon enough and another 7 inches will be significant

Last edited by metalmayhem; 05-24-2022 at 10:52 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

The second stand was a major improvement over the first one. It would take a fire hose to overwhelm the drain. What are you running for coolant? I used Qualichem 250 and it has not affected the sealant that I used which was some sort of generic silicone.

Like you I need to move my limit switches. I'm pretty short on the travels the way it is set up now.

Downloads
    Uploads

I was running mostly a cimcool semi synthetic and a few others but I've been running hocut 795 b for the past couple yrs . I was having issues with staining on my aluminum parts and I decided to try the hocut since it's boeing approved , It's great stuff and I haven't even considered trying anything else since .

It would have been nice to have had my mill shipped with the advertised travel specs , rather than if you move this and remove that you may get the travel you paid for . I think I was so set back by how far the spindle reach was from the table that the lack of travel didn't sink in right away . It totally blew my plans of proper table mounted fixtures

Downloads
    Uploads

I completely agree with you about the spindle. It is way to high. I also had plans to do table mounted fixtures. This can't be done without riser blocks. It works well if you are using a vise and parallels. I never tried it but I'm thinking there would be rigidity problems. Maybe someone here has a solution for that. I bought a set of 2-4-6 blocks I was going to use as a riser but I never got around to it.

Downloads
    Uploads

I thought about riser blocks but I figured that no matter how solid I mounted the plates there would be excessive noise that would drive me nuts . I added a couple kurt vises to the table which haven't come off since the day i mounted them . The nice thing about kurt vises is that the jaws can be mounted on the front or back of the fixed and sliding , I could have clamped my plates on top of the vises but time goes on and the vises get the work done on their own
    All my tormachs on the other hand have fixture plates mounted and machined to use mitee bites which I can run various sizes of materials . The only problem is they slowly get butchered then get replaces with new ones , but it's a small price to pay for all the work they do

Last edited by metalmayhem; 05-25-2022 at 10:27 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12