Spindle Runout.

Thread: Spindle Runout.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Spindle Runout.

Well it looks like due to the Wuhan virus panic I am now unemployed. Contract has been cancelled. On the plus side it now looks like I will have plenty of time to do whatever I want and I have loads of things to keep my busy.

So here is something I want to deal with as soon as it warms up enough to work in my unheated shop. When I first got my Torus Pro it had a lot of runout in the spindle. Somewhere around .004". Going from memory I tightened the screws on the bottom of the spindle and got the runout down to about a half thou. I lived with it because I was running mostly big end mills. I now want to get rid of the last .0005" of runout. I should point out that my spindle often gets into a harmonic and squeals while cutting. The end mills when in cutting in steel tend to squeal a lot. I do have more stick out than I probably should and am aware of that. Changing feed rate or rpm for the most part only changes the pitch of the squeal. End mill life is short. I want to eliminate the runout as a potential source of the problem. It cuts well in aluminum.

So is there some sort or procedure to properly set the bearings in the spindle? I think this is where I should start.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Spindle Runout.

Ok looks like my question is not going to get an answer.

New question. Have any of you measured the runout of the spindle on your torus pro? If so what do you get? Mine is .0005" although I should probably remeasure as the mill has been sitting the entire winter.

Downloads
    Uploads

I sort of drafted up a response to you before, but I don't own a Novakon and I don't know what screws the spindle might have on the bottom? So I honestly have no idea how to help you out.

That said, your squeal sounds like chatter to me. Do you have a power drawbar?

Downloads
    Uploads

I just checked mine since I'm in the shop . I've got no spindle runout , cold it has .0001" back and forth play . I've never had mine apart so I'm not sure how to get it properly set , but , hopefully my numbers can help foresee a target

Downloads
    Uploads

Squeal on steel?
    Try reducing the RPM by a factor of 5 maybe.

Cheers
    Roger