Power Draw Bar ver 2.0 (Pulsar)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Draw Bar ver 2.0 (Pulsar)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Power Draw Bar ver 2.0 (Pulsar)

I decided to revisit my PDB. I have been using Brian's design for the past two years or so and decided to redesign it to be a little quicker to remove when adjustments needed to be made.

Brian's original post can be found here. https://www.cnczone.com/forums/novakon/333750-cad.html

I added an open slot so the PDB can slide on easily. It is also a little easier to make and is a little lighter than Brian's design.

Power Draw Bar ver 2.0 (Pulsar)-pdb_pulsar-jpg

Power Draw Bar ver 2.0 (Pulsar)-pdb2-jpg

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Power Draw Bar ver 2.0 (Pulsar)-pdb_pulsar-jpg   Power Draw Bar ver 2.0 (Pulsar)-pdb2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Power Draw Bar ver 2.0 (Pulsar)

Nice. Did you ever measure how much torque it was applying to the drawbar? I had some issues with mine under torquing when I ran my drawbar from a battery. I upgraded to a power supply a while back but have not measured the torque applied with the power supply.

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks good! I've been wanting to get mine together but have been short on time recently. I think I'll steal from your design when I finally get around to it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
    Nice. Did you ever measure how much torque it was applying to the drawbar? I had some issues with mine under torquing when I ran my drawbar from a battery. I upgraded to a power supply a while back but have not measured the torque applied with the power supply.
    This PDB uses the air cylinder to compress the belleville washers to release the TTS holder unlike the Torus Pro's PDB that uses an electric motor to torque the draw bar.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by burbingus View Post
    Looks good! I've been wanting to get mine together but have been short on time recently. I think I'll steal from your design when I finally get around to it.
    This can easily be put together in an evening. I used one 6" x 6" x 3/8" steel plate and two 5" x 4" x 3/4" pieces of aluminum along with four 4.5" x 3/8" socket head bolts, four 6mm x 55mm socket head screws and and 4 compression springs 1" long.

I think the PDB is one of the better mods for the Pulsar.

Steve

Whats your calculated drawbar pressure and what's your belleville arrangement?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CL_MotoTech View Post
    Whats your calculated drawbar pressure and what's your belleville arrangement?
    I am using Brian's 24 washer stack of arrangement which I believe is around 3200lbs.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Steve303 View Post
    This PDB uses the air cylinder to compress the belleville washers to release the TTS holder unlike the Torus Pro's PDB that uses an electric motor to torque the draw bar.
    Right I should have read more before I asked that question, Now you have me wondering if it could be adapted to the torus pro.

Downloads
    Uploads

Right I should have read more before I asked that question, Now you have me wondering if it could be adapted to the torus pro.
    If the Torus Pro uses belleville washers I suppose this style of PDB could be adapted to the Torus Pro. Excluding the air cylinder the cost under $50.00 in parts to make. Four inch Three stage pancake cylinders run between $100 used to more than $400.00 new. Look for surplus cylinders on ebay.

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

If the Torus Pro uses belleville washers I suppose this style of PDB could be adapted to the Torus Pro. Excluding the air cylinder the cost under $50.00 in parts to make. Four inch Three stage pancake cylinders run between $100 used to more than $400.00 new. Look for surplus cylinders on ebay.
    Ok probably not possible if the belleville washers have to be part of the original design. As far as I know they are not in the spindle.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok probably not possible if the belleville washers have to be part of the original design. As far as I know they are not in the spindle.
    I wonder if there is room for a washer stack between the lock nut on the top of the spindle and nut on the top of the drawbar? If there is you could place your washer stack there. If not a new longer drawbar would be needed.

Downloads
    Uploads

You don’t have to use a Novakon mill that started life with Belleville washers. AiR_GuNNeR added a power drawbar to his NM-145 (very similar to the Pulsar) using a low power air actuator and a very clever hydraulic pressure booster.

Power Draw Bar ver 2.0 (Pulsar)-a12fb7e3-b0c7-49ea-a839-b0db3d0a137b-jpeg

Start with post #47
    https://www.cnczone.com/forums/novak...-thread-3.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Steve - looks great! I like having the notch in the back - much easier to remove! Why didn't I think of that?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Brian, It has been a while. How is everything going? Hope you and your family are safe and healthy.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Brian, It has been a while. How is everything going? Hope you and your family are safe and healthy.
    Yeah, I sorta dropped off the radar for a while. No particular reason. I did build a new garage/shop so that was part of the down time.

I was thinking of updating my PathPilot software, and thought I'd better check back in with the 'zone to make sure.

Steve- have you updated past 2.1.5? I read your post I think that said it broke the PP on the novakon.

Downloads
    Uploads

I
    Quote Originally Posted by brianbonedoc View Post
    Yeah, I sorta dropped off the radar for a while. No particular reason. I did build a new garage/shop so that was part of the down time.

I was thinking of updating my PathPilot software, and thought I'd better check back in with the 'zone to make sure.

Steve- have you updated past 2.1.5? I read your post I think that said it broke the PP on the novakon.
    New shop... that's great. I've settled on v 2.1.2. I have not had issues with it and it works good for me.

I spent a weekend on trying to figure out why 2.1.6 and higher would crash on boot. I made a number of changes to the postgui_tormach_mill.hal but never got it working. I put it aside hoping to get back to it but have yet to do so. I am sure it is something I am overlooking. Tormach has made a lot of changes to PP in past months not many of which I actually need. I have been tinkering with the ProbeBasic GUI for Linux CNC.

Downloads
    Uploads

Got it. I think I am on 2.1.2. I have to double check. May have to peruse the newer versions, but I am so rusty on looking at that stuff I dont want to have to relearn everything!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Guys;
    I hope we are not hijacking Steve's thread with all the posts on PP but I have pathpilot 2.1.5 installed on my Torus Pro but have significant problem with the tool change and tool table handling routine at the moment. PP resets my table to zero after each cycle of the power. I've moved it over to my test machine to attempt to at lease identify the problems. SOOOOO back to 1.9.X for the moment to get some work done.
    Regarding the type of drawbar being discussed here, for a Torus Pro there just isn't room for installation of the power pack. I ended up building a close copy of the Himey system for my Pro and have never been happier with it. Works great and never had a pull out.
    Thanks for posting.
    Bill

billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by brianbonedoc View Post
    Got it. I think I am on 2.1.2. I have to double check. May have to peruse the newer versions, but I am so rusty on looking at that stuff I dont want to have to relearn everything!
    I know that I for sure have forgotten most of what I learned in getting 1.9 installed. I don't even remember how to get the Linux prompt after power up.

But for me, 1.9 works fine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    Hey Guys;
    I hope we are not hijacking Steve's thread with all the posts on PP but I have pathpilot 2.1.5 installed on my Torus Pro but have significant problem with the tool change and tool table handling routine at the moment. PP resets my table to zero after each cycle of the power. I've moved it over to my test machine to attempt to at lease identify the problems. SOOOOO back to 1.9.X for the moment to get some work done.
    Regarding the type of drawbar being discussed here, for a Torus Pro there just isn't room for installation of the power pack. I ended up building a close copy of the Himey system for my Pro and have never been happier with it. Works great and never had a pull out.
    Thanks for posting.
    Bill
    Bill - I dont have that problem at all with my tool table. I have to double check which version I am on, but it's definitely 2.1.xxx
    I've already forgotten so much about PP in the past 2 yrs. . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast