Tool Changer for a Torus Pro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool Changer for a Torus Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tool Changer for a Torus Pro

Hey Guys;
    I'm just wondering if there is a good design for a DIY tool changer for my PRO? I followed Himey's design years ago and wasn't impressed with the complexity of the unit he designed. Seems to have to many moving parts and well, just looks complicated for what it does. I sure would appreciate the information if someone has mounted a different ATC system with a simple design such as that used by Tormach! I do realize that mounting is going to be a PITA but I'm sure it can be done.
    Many thanks in advance.
    Bill

Similar Threads:
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tool Changer for a Torus Pro

Is Novakon still selling their tool changer?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Michael;
    Don't know about the Novakon model. I was kinda hoping that this thread would start a conversation about what has or has not been done regarding tool changers.
    Oh well, maybe someone will pipe up.
    Bill

billyjack

Downloads
    Uploads

I thought I wanted a toolchanger. Using the power draw bar made me realize I did not. All it takes is a chip getting on the spindle and there goes your Z height. Probably could arrange an air blast to clean that area though. I think the Novakon tool changer is made by one of the members here. Hopefully he can confirm if the tool changer is still available.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think chip contamination will most definitely have to be addressed. I was reading the thread "where is John" and he mentioned in one of his entries the moving of the back cabinet to the side of the machine. That would solve the placement problem and make things much easier for installation of a simple tool changer like the Tormach. Adding an air blast should be simple.
    Thanks for the thoughts.
    Bill

billyjack

Downloads
    Uploads

Ray posted at least one video of his ATC for the Torus Pro. Not sure if it was ever completed or made available for sale.

I asked John a few months back about the new machine. He mentioned he was looking into PDBs and ATCs but nothing firm at that time. I think he will have little choice but to have a PDB and an ATC for the new mill to be a hit with new customers. If I were to purchase a new mill today both PDB and ATC would have to be a shipping product available the day I place my order. Novakon would be wise to remove the ATC and PDB as a recommended options for the Pulsar on their website if they never shipped one. The "COMING SOON" has been there since I purchased my Pulsar 3-1/2 years ago.

You can purchase an ATC from Skyfire for $1299. You would have to figure out how to mount it on your mill and make your own TTS tool forks as well as how to interface it with your control. Skyfire ATC

If you are looking for a project you can always purchase ATC plans. Here is a link to one for $40.00 CDN (~$30 USD) ATC Plans He has a video of it working on youtube and Instagram.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Steve;
    I've seen many designs for an ATC and (at least in my tiny little mind), they are not complicated mechanical devices. The interface with a machine may be a little tricky but still doable. I've built my own PDB using the information Ray provided on his build thread and it works very well. Never had a tool pull out (to date) and is very repeatable. Interfacing wasn't too bad and having it "talk" to a changer should be fairly easy. As is mentioned above, the design of the Pro makes adding a conventional rotary ATC very difficult mechanically w/o modifying the back cabinet to allow mounting.
    Do I need a tool changer? Probably not but it would still be nice to have a decent design for the Novakon users.
    Sounds like a decent project and I'm kind of surprised that no one has tackled it yet.
    Thanks for the information. There are many tool changers available as an add on which still leads to the mounting problem.
    I was hoping this thread would spark some life back into the Novakon users.
    Bill

billyjack

Downloads
    Uploads

I just noticed he is now selling his 10 tool ATC for the G704 for $2025 CAD ~$1500 USD. Electronics not included. I think it might be small for the Torus Pro but might fit the Pulsar. I do not have any connection to him other than I followed his ATC design journey on Instagam.

https://alexandre-r-cyr.myshopify.co...no-electronics

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a video of one of the tool changers I have built for my RF45 converted machine. My plans are designed to be universal so that it can easily be fitted to more than one style machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

That setup looks as if the alignment of tool to spindle would be more accurate than the swing arm Ray designed.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Guys;
    Rich, I have a system very similar to yours about half built and never installed. I'm thinking of a system that is similars to the novakon design w/o the swing arm but maybe a rotating two tool tool handling design. Sorry about the weak description but it's kinda hard to explain. I'd use a carousel similar to rays but the tool handling arm would be a twin capture rotating arm that would grab the old tool and new tool at the same time, extract the tools from the carousel and spindle by grabing, lowering spinning 180 to place the new tool in and place the old tool back into the carousel at the new tool position. Again, sorry for the weak explanation. As soon as I get caught up on my existing projects, I'll start jotting down some thoughts on the design.
    Many thanks for your offer!
    Bill

billyjack

Downloads
    Uploads

I actually bought one of Rich's kits. I received the parts earlier this week. It will be awhile before I have time to get it fully up and going, but I'm going to do some rough assembly and fitment and take pics to show you guys how it goes.

At first inspection, the parts look very nice!

Micah

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by burbingus View Post
    I actually bought one of Rich's kits. I received the parts earlier this week. It will be awhile before I have time to get it fully up and going, but I'm going to do some rough assembly and fitment and take pics to show you guys how it goes.

At first inspection, the parts look very nice!

Micah
    What mill will you be installing it on? What control are you using?

Downloads
    Uploads

It's going on a Pulsar. I'm running Mach 3 at the moment but will be switching to LinuxCNC.

Downloads
    Uploads

It's going on a Pulsar. I'm running Mach 3 at the moment but will be switching to LinuxCNC.
    I'm looking forward to seeing your ATC progress. I too have a Pulsar and have been looking for an ATC option.

I also have one of Rich's ATC's. It's going on a G0704. I have the electronics basically setup. The ATC is together and I've actuated the pneumatics and the stepper for the carousel. The mill however is totally torn apart. I am adding an oiler, drawbar, and a new Z carriage as mine was damaged, as well as moved into a new enclosure. So lot's of tinkering to go.

I am using Mach3 and UCCNC currently but the plan is to make the jump to UCCNC full time. We will see.

The ATC went together smoothly. It was an investment to move from R8 set screw holders over to TTS ATC holders, plus the drawbar, plus all the additional sensors, BOB, etc.. It should be worth it though.

I also have a Novakon NM-145, I hope that once I get through the G0704 build I can start working on the Novakon and get it running. And I may add another of Rich's ATCs to that machine once I get it going.

Rich has been extremely helpful and despite several late night text's he's never told me to bugger off. The machine work looks great, shipping was bang on, and I got it in a timely manner (despite a hurricane). The ATC is more compact than I had imagined, it's pretty well scaled to even the G0704. I think Rich's setup will prove to be an awesome setup.

Downloads
    Uploads

What I think makes the kit unique is:

1. We integrated proximity sensors into the design for extend, retract, and carousel home. The sensors will prevent the vast majority of tool changer crashes. I would not run a tool changer or macro that does not have these built in.
    2. My kit is adjustable one size fits all. Due to this you don't need to modify anything to adapt it for your specific machine. Our design makes tool fork/spindle alignment easy and consistent.
    3. I support the kit after the purchase. If you run into a hang up during the install or set up you can call me and I will help you troubleshoot.

If someone is interested in a Kit let me know. And I can call and discuss your set up.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a link to another Youtube ATC build. Chad is building a clone Tormach ATC. It looks like he has figured out how to get it working with Pathpilot's ATC interface.

Downloads
    Uploads

Micah, any progress with your ATC?

Downloads
    Uploads

Not really. Work has been absolutely crazy and I haven't had time to work on this. I am putting together the electrical and pneumatic layout in my spare time to make sure I've got all the parts ordered. After things settle down at work I'm going to take a week off work on getting everything put together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast