Need Help! NM-145 - Mach 3 Random Freeze - Help

Thread: NM-145 - Mach 3 Random Freeze - Help

Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb NM-145 - Mach 3 Random Freeze - Help

Good Morning,

First thank you to all the people that post here - it has been a great resource so far.

I am new to CNC machining and a few months ago purchased a used NM-145 (4th owner I believe).
    The machine is having some problems and after much searching I am still not sure the best way to proceed.

First the basics.
    Machine is in very good mechanical condition and has been generally well maintained.
    the only modification I know of is a ShadowspawnLLC Motor/VFD Conversion, other than that I believe that it has stock electronics.
    I can see from the maintenance records provided that the C11G board and two Gecko drivers have been replaced at some point.
    I believe this was all from the original owner who used machine for electronics production work i am told.

PC is running 32bt Windows 7 using Mach3 (V R3.043.066) and has Mach Standard Mill Screenset installed.
    PC is not network connected and does not seem to have any background processes enabled that are causing interruption.

All CAD/CAM is Fusion360 using the native Fusion Mach3mill post.

Now the issues.

I ran the mill for about a month of testing and learning with no hiccups.
    At that point the machine started to pause at random points in any program i tried to run.
    Sometimes it would be 10-30 seconds and then recover and continue on - other times it would just sit there stuck.
    By stuck I mean that Mach was completely non responsive (could still access windows control panel). Machine pauses in all axis but Spindle still running. Nothing flashing in mach - just paused at whatever point it was at.
    only when Estop is pressed does Mach fire back up immediately - otherwise i would have to force stop the program through task manager.
    If it freeze during a Z retract move it loses track of position and Z height is effected typically going deeper into the part when if recovers.

The problem has been getting progressively worse and at this point I cannot run a program at all.
    The only things I have done are adjust the look ahead (was at 20 lines - bumped to 150 lines) this however made no difference that I could see.
    I also noted that driver watchdog was disabled (which I read is common)

Last night I ran a program that had been freezing but cut air only and it didn't freeze. I need to repeat this later today and see if it is consistent or just a lucky run.

Lastly I have run the same programs using the regular Mach 3 Screenset and I get the same results.

Any help is appreciated!

Please be gentle on this newbie - I will do my best to provide any addition info requested.

Regards and thanks in advance

Eric

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: NM-145 - Mach 3 Random Freeze - Help

Hi Eric,

I can't help a lot here, but it sounds to me like you have a controller card issue, not necessarily a Mach 3 issue. I would guess that the controller card has something failing and it's causing the communication between Mach 3 and the controller card to stall. Do you know if it uses the Ethernet Smooth Stepper?

Micah

Downloads
    Uploads

Micah,
    Thanks for the reply.
    It is using parallel port.

Eric

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I know this ins't the answer you are looking for, but you'd do yourself a lot of favors by getting rid of the parallel port and using something like a UC300eth-5lpt or an ESS. Parallel port has gone away for many reasons, almost all of them good reasons. Yes it would require a little bit of money and some time to set the software up again, but it will improve everything. I'm willing to bet it will solve the issue you are experiencing as well. Parallel port control is a fickle beast.

Downloads
    Uploads

Windows 7 did have a problem with the parallel port and freezing up. Going to Windows 8 might work but we have never verified this. We ended up getting away from the parallel port and adding the ESS which works great. You can make an external box and just add the Ethernet, parallel and the 5vdc/ground lines from the BOB and you can convert this. Programming is easy also and we have the documentation on our website. If you need any help just give us a call or email.

Regards,
    John

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by EELSON View Post
    If it freeze during a Z retract move it loses track of position and Z height is effected typically going deeper into the part when if recovers.
    Welcome to the Zone.

This statement about Z Axis might be a big Clue of where to look first. Try checking all Feedback/Servo Power Etc wiring that has Quick Connect Cables, wires etc for loose or dirty connections on Z Axis Drive System.

Good Luck on your new Adventure,
    DJ

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CL_MotoTech View Post
    I know this ins't the answer you are looking for, but you'd do yourself a lot of favors by getting rid of the parallel port and using something like a UC300eth-5lpt or an ESS. Parallel port has gone away for many reasons, almost all of them good reasons. Yes it would require a little bit of money and some time to set the software up again, but it will improve everything. I'm willing to bet it will solve the issue you are experiencing as well. Parallel port control is a fickle beast.
    I am certainly not married to the parallel port...and have read alot about the options you mention.....I just want to know if there is anything else I should be ruling out first.
    Presumably this setup has worked as is for many years with just maintenance.

Xould it be as simple as the parallel port needs ro be replaced?

Should have mentioned driver test looks good if that really means anything.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    Welcome to the Zone.

This statement about Z Axis might be a big Clue of where to look first. Try checking all Feedback/Servo Power Etc wiring that has Quick Connect Cables, wires etc for loose or dirty connections on Z Axis Drive System.

Good Luck on your new Adventure,
    DJ
    I will go over all the connections again. The only ones I have not had eyes on directly are the actual connections at the Gecko drivers as they are hidden behind the Bob. I will check those tonight.

Appreciate the help!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Novakon View Post
    Windows 7 did have a problem with the parallel port and freezing up. Going to Windows 8 might work but we have never verified this. We ended up getting away from the parallel port and adding the ESS which works great. You can make an external box and just add the Ethernet, parallel and the 5vdc/ground lines from the BOB and you can convert this. Programming is easy also and we have the documentation on our website. If you need any help just give us a call or email.

Regards,
    John
    Thanks John I will certainly contact you if I go this route. I downloaded the ESS install manual and it seems pretty straight forward. Does Novakon sell the ESS?
    I assume the only difference in my install would be deciding where and how to mount the new board?

Downloads
    Uploads

I have been having troubles with Mach 3 also. Different problems than you are having but still problems. I'm currently working away from home but going back in a month. I'm going to be trying a Centroid acorn on my mill. If you are not in a rush I know where there will likely be a ethernet smooth stepper for sale cheap in a couple of months.

Downloads
    Uploads

Consider PathPilot conversion as another alternative. Those of us who have done so are happy with the result.

Downloads
    Uploads

X2 for PathPilot.

Have you tried re-installing mach3? I've have to do just that on my router when it decides to go wonky. I've made a back-up directory that I copy over the original mach3 directory when it goes bad.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi everyone,

So I had some time this evening.
    I went over all the connections from the steppers back to the BOB including at the Gecko Drives and everything was tight and no compromised wires could be seen. Basically everything in the cabinet I could get my hands on I ensured it was connected properly.

I then fired up the mill and took a pic of the BOB (Pic 1)
    Started the Gcode file and within 2 minutes the error occurred - Checked the cabinet while mill was frozen and took Pic 2
    Reset mach and ran the same file - this time it ran almost to the end before the error occurred - Pic 3
    On the second error I took look at the geckos also while the mill was frozen and they just had the green light steady on.

I dont know if this even helps anyone.

Reloading Mach is not something I have done - I will try that and see if it helps.
    If that does not work then I am thinking I may just replace the Parallel port as that is not a very expensive item to swap out.
    I was planning to order a spare Bob and Gecko to have on hand anyways as I am sure I will need it at some point if I dont need it now.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Eric

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NM-145 - Mach 3 Random Freeze - Help-20190328_202350-756x1008-jpg   NM-145 - Mach 3 Random Freeze - Help-20190328_220656-756x1008-jpg   NM-145 - Mach 3 Random Freeze - Help-20190328_225039-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

One of the attachments above was wrong....This is the photo of the condition during the second freeze,

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NM-145 - Mach 3 Random Freeze - Help-20190328_225053-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Wonder if, this could be a Power Supply problem. I've seen machine's do odds things that turned out to be Voltage spikes from a failing PS.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok,

Updated parallel port driver and reloaded mach to version 62.

So far it is running....but i am not too optimistic.

I am definately going the smoothstepper route.

Also.

What are the typical acceleration and velocity settings for an nm145 in mach3?

Thankyou to everyone who replied to this...really a great forum!