Problem New Spindle Motor? What to Buy???

Thread: New Spindle Motor? What to Buy???

Downloads
    Uploads

Default New Spindle Motor? What to Buy???

Hey Guys and Gals;
    Not a lot of chatter here on the Novakon thread!!! I hope that the lack of chatter means a bunch of happy campers!
    Background!
    My Machine is a Torus Pro Servo with Path Pilot control.
    Yesterday I was cutting a fire control group cavity in a project AR I'm building and my spindle was bogging down quite a bit. I was cutting 6061 aluminum using a HSS 7/16 flat end mill and pushing 35"/Min at a .1 DOC for the pocket. I started in the center of the pocket and cut out which results in an initial slot cut of 7/16 at .1 dept of cut. Sounds simple but the spindle motor was bogging down toward the end of the slot to almost a stop before it started cutting the 50% step over cuts. I'm wondering if my motor is up to Par???. I've heard that motors from China produce power that way below that which is advertised. Also, I have not made any changes to the VFD since I've had this machine so it is still at factory settings.
    Since I'm really not comfortable with a wimpy spindle motor, I'd like to find a quality motor that will fit this machine. Has anyone upgraded to a better motor? If so, can you share your experience?
    Many thanks.
    Bill

Similar Threads:
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New Spindle Motor? What to Buy???

Hi,
    I had a look on the website and it looks like you have a 1.5kW induction motor and VFD fitted.

I assume also that you have a single phase supply. If that is indeed the case then 2.2kW is about the maximum
    practical size motor you can fit. It is possible to get more out of a single phase supply but you would have to get an electrician
    to check out and probably uprate your supply. If that required new cable in the wall for instance it could get expensive.
    Have a close look at the manufacturers plate on the VFD, it may be you have to upsize your VFD as well.

Are you constrained by the motors physical size, the pics of your machine suggest that you maybe?
    Modern AC servos are very powerful for their size. It is entirely probable that you could get a 2.2kW AC servo which is actually smaller
    than the induction motor you already have. A Delta 2.2kW AC servo and drive is likely to cost $1500 or so. Does the extra 1hp
    gained worth that sort of cost?

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the information Craig! I am feeding with single phase but never had problems with my old rf45 regarding the feed. However, I may get an electrician over to make sure I'm OK. Good suggestion.
    I'd love to have an AC servo but the price is a concern for this hobby machine.
    Have a good turkey day.
    Bill

billyjack

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    a while back I bought a second hand Allen Bradley servo 3500rpm, 6.2Nm continuous and matching drive (020) for $700NZD
    from the New Zealand auction site.

Looking on Ebay and I think I got a bargain but there are some good deals to be had.

If you were looking at second hand servo and drives, especially if you are not familiar with them, buy matching units, ideally
    from the same manufacturer. Its entirely difficult enough to work through the vast array of settings that have to be made in a servo
    drive without having the terminology of two different manufacturers to contend with.

The flexibility of the control options, the tuning options and the sheer unadulterated power form a modern AC servo must be experienced to be
    believed. That power does not come without cost. Additionally it will at times draw a great deal of current from your electrical supply. You would
    be advised to install a line reactor....it significantly 'tames' a VFD/servo drive.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Crfaig!
    It appears the Novakon Users have not had the spindle problems I've been experiencing just judging from the response of others. I do appreciate your assistance and advice. I'll keep my eyes open and hope some day to procure a better motor that what I have. For the time being I'll revert to the wimpy cuts and keep ny eyes and ears tuned to the cut when working.
    Have a good holiday.
    Bill

billyjack

Downloads
    Uploads

Does anyone have the settings for the VFD handy and can share???
    Just double checking.
    Bill

billyjack

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    Does anyone have the settings for the VFD handy and can share???
    Just double checking.
    Bill
    I think the settings are in the manual if I remember right. They vary a bit depending on which vfd you have. I had to switch vfd's a while back due to an interference issue.

I just looked. I got the settings from the power drawbar manual. I don't know if you use the same settings without the power draw bar.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think I can really help you. The VFD price in China is really cheap. I spent 142.46 dollars to get a single-phase inverter

Downloads
    Uploads

As stated above, you can run up to around 3HP from a 240VAC single phase supply. I am running a hobby class machine with a 1.8kW AC servo spindle. The motor is rated for 5000rpm (Allen Bradley MPL-A330P-MJ22AA). AC servos are absolutely rock solid in a cut. Alternatively, your VFD may not be up to the job. I would consider opting for a VFD with encoder feedback. This way when the motor starts to bog, the drive will increase the output frequency to maintain steady RPM. At a minimum, get a VFD with sensorless vector control. A V/Hz drive is not designed to maintain speed across a heavy variable load such as machining.