Torus Pro Spindle Frozen mystery

Thread: Torus Pro Spindle Frozen mystery

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Torus Pro Spindle Frozen mystery

Hello all,

So today I'm machining some parts, get to my 3rd op, press cycle start and I hear a squeal like the VFD or something, but the spindle is not turning, so I immediately hit the E-stop. Spindle is completely frozen. After removing power, I use the spindle wrench that cam with the mill to turn the spindle. With all my force I can barely nudge it. I remove all the PDB parts, sheet metal cover etc. I remove one of the side plates to get access to the belt drive. As I watch while yanking on the spindle wrench I can see movement, but can't tell if its the motor froze or spindle bearings. I remove the motor and it spins buttery smooth. I try the wrench again and I can turn the spindle, but there is still some "drag" like friction or something. No gravely noise like blown bearings though. Next I remove the top metal plate that covers the spindle assembly. Go back to the mill and WTH, the spindle spins freely.

I'm thinking of a couple possibilities, but this is the first mill I've owned.. so grasping here.

1. Something got wedged in between the drive components causing the drag, and when I took it apart the offending material worked it's way out as I was yanking on the spindle.

2. The bad bearings froze from heat expansion causing the spindle to freeze, and as I was taking things apart, it cooled down to the point of spinning freely again.

I'm thinking option 2 ?.

Although it now spins freely, it's not silent, but no nasty gravely sound either.

Anyone have experience with bad spindles ?.

FYI the mill is ~4-5 years old.

Thanks,
    Matt