Adding and controlling peripherals

Thread: Adding and controlling peripherals

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Adding and controlling peripherals

Hi guys,

I've got ideas for some different accessories that I want to design and add to my Pulsar. I'll be using BobCAM to generate code, and I'll be upgrading to UCCNC when Novakon gets their upgrade package ready. I was wondering if you guys could point me to some good resources to help me understand how to control these external devices with some degree of automation. Some specific topics I'm looking for are:

• What are the different methods to control I/O on the control board? Is it basically always through macros? Are there good resources for writing postprocessors that will incorporate these macros?
    • Are there ways to have the control software communicate through other means (RS-232, etc.)? It seems like it might be useful for robotics or other data intensive devices to have a communication line to the PC rather than through the control board.

I know these questions are vague, but I'm really just wanting to get more understanding of how to approach the design and control of the accessories. Any website, book, or other resource recommendations are appreciated!

Thanks!

Micah

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Adding and controlling peripherals

Maybe a more specific question - how does a tool changer generally communicate with the controller? The post processor writes in tool change codes and specifies the tool number. I'm assuming the ATC has some onboard electronics; how does the controller communicate with the ATC to specify which tool, when it's ready to change, when the change has occurred, etc.?

Micah

Downloads
    Uploads

The tool changer is normally controlled by the CNC controller. It has a servo or stepper motor and limit switches or prox sensors. The controller knows what position the tool changer is currently in, and moves it to the correct position for the next tool. The tool changer itself normally a has no idea where it is or what it's doing. The controller handles all of this.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the input Jim. So I guess it's more common for the hardware to directly interface only with the control board.

Does anyone know if UCCNC allows communication with peripherals through COM ports?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by burbingus View Post
    Thanks for the input Jim. So I guess it's more common for the hardware to directly interface only with the control board.

Does anyone know if UCCNC allows communication with peripherals through COM ports?
    Yes it does.