Recommended Taps for Rigid Tapping

Thread: Recommended Taps for Rigid Tapping

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Recommended Taps for Rigid Tapping

I find myself tapping aluminium more and more lately. Up to this point I've only used hardware store hand taps for rigid tapping on my Pulsar. Looking to pick up a quality set of CNC taps. Looking for decent quality but not overly expensive set to have an hand. Any recommendations? I use 10-24 and 7-20 most often but want to have assortment of sizes on hand.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Recommended Taps for Rigid Tapping

I like form taps for rigid tapping. We have tapped a couple thousand 10-24 holes in aluminum and are still on the same tap. If you are through tapping a good spiral point tap works well. I like OSG taps, I think that's what Fastenal sells, have had very good luck with their taps. For blind holes, the form taps work very well or as an alternative a spiral flute works well because the pull the chips up as they are cutting.

The local hardware store taps are pretty much junk IMHO, and I only buy those on a Saturday afternoon as a last resort.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Jim.

Downloads
    Uploads

Many years ago, a machinist introduced me to HSS taps....specifically, 2 flute gun taps. They're made for through holes and push the chips ahead of the tap. I've done hundreds of holes with a 6x1.0 mm tap chucked into a drill adapter. I'd put a drop of tap fluid on the tap and then run it into the hole at full drill speed....reverse and run it back out. The HSS versions are so much better than the cheaper carbon steel ones!!!! As mentioned, the spiral flute versions work great for pulling the chips up and out of the hole when doing blind holes.

Jim....nice to see someone local to me...I'm in Gresham.

Don't have to be too bright to be me :)
    bluehandsvideo on youtube

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mklotz70 View Post

Jim....nice to see someone local to me...I'm in Gresham.
    Hi neighbor

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

I buy all my taps from McMaster Carr and buy them according to my needs. Most of our tapping is through holes, so the spiral point gun taps work great. For other odd jobs, I buy the taps as needed, but still keep a supply of plug taps on hand or use when needed. If tapping thinner material, I use a form tap. I don't like the spiral taps that pull the chips very much, because the ships don't always clear and I wind up chipping the delicate threads. Sometimes though they are the best for the job.
    I think I have a hardware store tap set somewhere, but cannot tell you when I last saw them.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

osg are the best bang for the buck , emuge if you want the best but the price is steep

Downloads
    Uploads

McMaster Carr carries mostly Widia, but they have other brand too.
    I picked up a 5/16 18 made by Vega from Lakeshore Carbide.
    I think it was on closeout or something, but they are excellent looking taps that I am sure will last a very very long time.

Lee