Squaring/tramming a Pulsar

Thread: Squaring/tramming a Pulsar

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Squaring/tramming a Pulsar

Does anyone have a good guide for this? Did you find it necessary on your system? I've only really had experience doing this on a Bridgeport style machine. I assume it's done with shims of some kind on a bed mill like the Pulsar? Any info would be appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Squaring/tramming a Pulsar

I did do it on my Pulsar. It was not out by much, but it was nodding forward and to the left.
    Shimming the column on one side did the trick.
    Let common sense be your guide. No tricky parts. That is except for the tool needed to loosen the column bolts.
    Mine had SHCS and I did not have an allen wrench big enough.
    Don't recall the size, but I can check if needed.
    I ordered one from Mcmaster Carr and it was still too long, so cut it off with a grinder.
    Even then it is a little tricky getting a good bite with only 6 sides and the bolt head being enclosed with a cast iron shroud.
    If I do it again, I will be going back with 12 point bolts instead. That or modify the area around the bolts with a grinder.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Squaring/tramming a Pulsar

So as I was taking the tram measurements with one of those dual indicator edge pro things that I borrowed from someone, I get about a 0.002-0.003" reading in x, and about perfect in y. However I noticed that the measurement varies quite a bit over the range of x-axis travel. On one end it's about 0.002-0.003" out of tram in x, and it's about perfect in y everywhere. So I ran my more accurate indicator over the length of the table, and it seems it's dished by about 0.002-0.003" across the length in x. Is that normal? What's the spec for table flatness on the Pulsar? I can't seem to find it. What would it be on a Tormach?

I'm assuming there really isn't anything I can really do about it other than maybe sticking some adhesive sandpaper on a large granite surface plate and going over the table. Though that could introduce a wedge and I'm not really sure how to get rid of a wedge.

Anyone ever run an indicator over the length of their table? How much does it vary from end to end?