UCCNC ETH-400 - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: UCCNC ETH-400

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: UCCNC ETH-400

CNC4PC doesn't sell the UB1 breakout board, so I don't know what you are looking at. I gave you a link to the product, and you apparently looked at everything BUT the link I gave you.
    Ger,

Your link takes me to some forum, and a page with a $320 package using a completely different breakout board. But I have now found the actual 5LPT document and prices, and you are right, that is a better way to go, so thanks. I already have lots of ideas for nice, low-cost but very useful add-ons to do with the extra I/O.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Your link takes me to some forum, and a page with a $320 package using a completely different breakout board.
    Yes, it's the UB1 breakout board that I'm referring to. And it's not a forum, but the manufacturers website. (Where it says "Forum" is a link to their Thai forum)

The UB1 is a $180 breakout board for the UC300ETH. The UC300ETH mounts directly to the UB1. so you don't need a 5LPT motherboard. That saves you $40, and basically makes the UB1 a $140 breakout board.
    It's a better breakout board than any CNC4PC board.
    3 ports of 24V I/O, PWM to 0-10V speed control, relays, and analog I/O.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

OK, now I'm, more confused than ever.... In your first most you said:

The UC300ETH is only about $20 more than the UC400ETH, and gives you a lot more.
    I took this to mean that the UC300ETH with breakout would be $20 more than the UC400ETH, which would be great, as it would eliminate the existing custom BOB. But add in a $140 BOB, and the prices is now MUCH higher than the current SmoothStepper solution, or the UC400ETH solution. Near TWICE the price, in fact. The 300ETH plus the 5LPT is only about $20 more than the ETH400, which is very attractive. And it supports analog I/O, which is the one thing "missing" from the ETH400. Are you suggesting the 5LPT is a CNC4PC product, or there is some other issue with it?

Oh, how I miss well-designed web sites....

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am confused also.

It appears that the UC300ETH with the 5LPT motherboard is $160 at CNC4PC. No breakout board is included.

The UC300ETH-UB1 in Ger21s link is $320. No motherboard required and a super-duper breakout board is included. But the UB1 breakout board does not appear to be a CNCDrives product, but is instead made by CNCRoom?

I have no idea if my Torus (predecessor to the Pulsar) even would need a different breakout board than what I already have? I believe my breakout board is the same as the one used in the Pulsar.

Downloads
    Uploads

have the issues with the g41 g42 been resolved . Last I saw on their forum - there were issues with it not creating a proper path and it was causing gouging

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    I don't like to use wireless keyboards with CNC or 3D printer and I also like simplicity... but yes, that's a possibility as well if you like many buttons.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

At present it creates the SAME tool comp path as Mach3 ,Mach4 ,Acorn , etc . It is being worked on to eliminate the Gouge ( Fanuc style) OR throw an alert . I saw an ACORN toolpath of the same Gcode as UCCNC ran and it gouged as well. BUT these were also extreme toolpaths (;-).

They are also working on teh ToolComp PrePost error messages.

I can say it works extremely well (G41/42) deep inside ( 10 layers deep) of a subroutine.

And UCCNC gets better every update (;-)

(;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

I saw that .An error message would be good . I'm glad to see those being implemented . I've got an ethernet board and a couple uc100's that have been waiting on this option .

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking back, I guess what I posted was not very clear at all.

A UC300ETH with 5LPT motherboard is indeed only about $25 more than a UC400ETH, and adds 3 ports + analog I/O.
    You'll need breakout boards with either one, so imo the UC300ETH is a much better option.

If you plan on using an existing breakout board, then you want to buy the UC300ETH with a motherboard.
    The 5LPT motherboard is made by CNC Drive, and is what I would normally recommend.
    CNC4PC makes two other motherboards (M44 and M45), but I would not recommend them unless you plan on using a CNC4PC breakout board.

If you plan on buying a new breakout board, then I would recommend the UB1, which is made by CNC Room in Thailand. It's not only better than any comparable breakout board, but it's cheaper than most. And it eliminates the need for the 5LPT motherboard, which makes for a neater package.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Have any of you looked at the CNCPART.HU 5441 Board for teh UC300 ? It handles all 5 ports + extras. Prices don't seem to be too bad.

(;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

The 5LPT is the basic option for the UC300ETH as I see, because the manufacturer selling the UC300ETH with the 5LPT board only. All others look like 3rd party boards to me.
    That gives you similar non-isolated pins like on the UC400ETH where you can connect breakout boards, the differenc is that the UC400ETH has less digital IOs and the UC400ETH has no analog IOs while the UC300ETH has.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you guys get interested in UCCNC for your Novakon machines I can set up a section over at teh UCCNC forum for you to use as a base.

(;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the clarifications ger21 and olfcnc.

I am confused on another point. I had thought that motion controllers such as Smoothstepper, and presumably also the UCCNC motion controllers, removed the need for a breakout board. And yet there is a breakout board option for the UCCNC motion controllers?

Also, what would be a typical use for analog I/O on a breakout board?

I still have the demo Mach 3 and have been trying to decide between LinuxCNC and PathPilot/Mesa board going forward.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Titaniumboy View Post
    Thanks for the clarifications ger21 and olfcnc.

I am confused on another point. I had thought that motion controllers such as Smoothstepper, and presumably also the UCCNC motion controllers, removed the need for a breakout board. And yet there is a breakout board option for the UCCNC motion controllers?

Also, what would be a typical use for analog I/O on a breakout board?

I still have the demo Mach 3 and have been trying to decide between LinuxCNC and PathPilot/Mesa board going forward.
    A motion controller is a signal generator and a breakout board is a signal conditioner.
    A motion controller communicate with the computer side software, get and send data and generate the signals to control your machine.
    A breakout board is to isolate and level shift signals.
    For example you can't drive a power relay directly with a motion controller output, because it does not have enough power and sometimes voltage to do that.
    You can have 24V or 110V or 220V relay coil which ofcourse a 5V output on a motion controller cannot directly drive.
    You need somekind of circuitry which convert, isolate for safety and level shift the signal for different voltage and higher power.
    You also cannot connect industrial sensors to 5V inputs on a motion controller. You can't connect for example 24V signals to 5V logic inputs. you need a circuit which isolates for safety and level shifts the signal to interface.

What will you use with the analog signals. On analog inputs typically the feedrate and spindle speed override is controlled with potentiometers which you do not need any breakout board for you just connect potentiometers.
    For analog outputs you control the spindle speed via VFD and then again you do not need a breakout board because the VFD isolate the analog signal.

Downloads
    Uploads

Motion controllers come in many different flavors.
    Some simply have IDC headers to access their I/O pins. The Smoothstepper, UC400ETH, and UC300ETH fall into this category. You need a breakout board to "break out" the pins to make connections easier.

Other motion controllers are combinations of breakout boards and motion controllers, having all the pins accessibly from screw terminals, and other functions. Most chinese Mach3 controllers fall into this category, but there are other high end controllers as well, like the CS Labs and Vital Systems Mach3/Mach4 controllers and the PMDX Mach4 controllers.

A breakout board can also add functionality.
    The UB1, for example, has several added features.

It provides 24V inputs and outputs for the UC300ETh, which is a 5V device.
    It provides 3 relays, which you can use for starting/stopping a spindle or other device.
    It has a PWM to 0-10V speed control.
    It has a charge pump output, which converts a charge pump signal to a 24V output.
    It provides differential step/direction signals.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks again to Ger21 and olfcnc for your excellent explanation of breakout boards and motion controllers.

My mistake was that I had said I thought the Smoothstepper did not require a breakout board. I really had meant to say that the Mesa motion controller did not seem to require a breakout board.

i will continue to watch this thread with interest. I can’t live with the demo version of Mach 3 forever. And I refuse to throw $175 at a cnc controller which is not being supported any longer. Especially with LinuxCNC being free and PathPilot/Mesa or UCCNC being only $100 more expensive than a license of Mach 3.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello. I hope I'm not missing the obvious but I've searched the web high & low and can't seem to find a single breakout board that is fully compatible with the UC400ETH -- that is one that supports both parallel ports. Can anyone recommend a compatible bob? I'd really like to give the UCCNC platform a try.

Downloads
    Uploads

Other than the UB1, the only multi port breakout boards that I know of are for the Smoothstepper. And they are all about $150 or more.

You can always use two inexpensive single port boards.

If you really want a single multi port board, then it makes more sense to get a UC300ETH and a UB1.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the quick reply/info!
    But that's kind of crazy, right? What use is the UC400ETH if there are no breakout boards for it? Is it a brand new product or something? Yes, I can cobble together a couple of single parallel port solutions but that's a kludge. I thought the smooth stepper C25 would be the perfect solution but discovered that the 2nd parallel port is not "standard".

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TripWire View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply/info!
    But that's kind of crazy, right? What use is the UC400ETH if there are no breakout boards for it? Is it a brand new product or something? Yes, I can cobble together a couple of single parallel port solutions but that's a kludge. I thought the smooth stepper C25 would be the perfect solution but discovered that the 2nd parallel port is not "standard".
    Absolutely ANY BOB that connects to a standard PC parallel port, which is MOST of them, will plug connect directly to the ETH400, or ANY UCNC motion controller, with a simple ribbon cable. Why on earth do you think you need a single board that plugs directly into both ports?

Regards,
    Ray L.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast