PathPilot on a Novakon Questioin - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PathPilot on a Novakon Questioin

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PathPilot on a Novakon Questioin

Quote Originally Posted by powerr View Post
    At the moment I am using 2.1.3 and having a Issue with the tool table getting wiped out with each shutdown of the machine.
    Try to upgrade to 2.1.4. From the release notes, it looks like your problem mat have been fixed.

"If changes were made to tools 1 through 256 in the tool table, and the controller unexpectedly restarted, the changed values weren't retained (PP-2233)"

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Stigoe View Post
    Try to upgrade to 2.1.4. From the release notes, it looks like your problem mat have been fixed.

"If changes were made to tools 1 through 256 in the tool table, and the controller unexpectedly restarted, the changed values weren't retained (PP-2233)"
    FWIW, 2.13 to 2.14 resolved a touchscreen calibration issue I was having. There is a ton of fixes in that release.

Jason --CNC Newbie--

Downloads
    Uploads

So I was able to make some good progress. I was able to get the spindle direction flipped around so it works correctly. I still have the problem with the spindle not running at commanded speed, or at least there is a discrepancy as to what is commanded and what the PDB display is reporting. I would assume that the PDB display pulls the info off the spindle encoder, so it's probably more accurate. It was apparently doing this before, because when I reverted back to sagreen's files, the RPM behavior was identical.

500=410 =18% Low
    1000=1140 =11.4% High
    1500=1806 = 20% High
    2000=2401 = 20% High
    3000=3525 = 17.5% High
    4000=4700 = 17.5% High
    5000=5865 = 17.3% High
    6000=6230 = 4% High

So if you throw out the highest and the lowest #, and the highest number, the bulk of the error appears to be pretty consistent 17-20% It appears there is some information over in one of the older threads that is pertinent to scaling the speed. I am going to go over and read through that a little more.

Also commanding RPM in the RPM window is still broken for me, It seems to work fine from the MDI, so not a dealbreaker.

Jason --CNC Newbie--

Downloads
    Uploads

I will give 2.1.4 a try tonight. Thanks guys.
    I was able to fix the commander speed in the novakon.hal I think it is so strange that it does
    Not work for you.
    I will check spindle rpm tonight. See what the machine does. When setting it all up
    I set the spindle speed to 6000 rpm on the control and adjusted the blue pot on the novkon board
    Until it was reading 10volts. I would swear it was around 480 when commanding 500.
    Tinkered with this thing so much I can not remember all the crap I have adjusted on the drives.
    Was running mach4 with a hicon. But until they do something different with the trajectory planner
    I have abbandonded it. Also like with linuxcnc and pathpilot motion stops on a accidental probe hit

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, so what day. After doing a bunch of research, it appeared that lincurve would be just the ticket to sort out the speed errors I was seeing. So I started working on it by re-enabling lincurve in the novakon.hal. That didn't go so well. So long story short, with the change to Linux Mint in 2.x PP no longer compiles the real time libs as kernel modules, instead they run in user space. So I found a thread on the LinuxCNC forum, and ended up compiling everything from scratch. I copied the new lincurve over, and bam, we are in business. My RPM error is down in the single digits across the board now, except for right at 6000, I will need to tweak that guy some more. Anyhow, I have attached a copy of my files, and a complete set of 2.x compatible rt libraries in case anyone should ever have a need.
    Thanks for all the help along the way!!
    Jason

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by WTFover; 10-06-2018 at 08:04 AM.
    Jason --CNC Newbie--

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123