PathPilot on NM200 - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: PathPilot on NM200

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PathPilot on NM200

Yes, you see "personality" used in components that have variable inputs, outputs, or internal computations. One of my favorites is 'logic'. That's a logic gate that can have AND,OR, XOR outputs with up to 16 inputs. Those can come in very handy, but you need to have a HEX calculator handy since all that is controlled by a singe HEX value from 'personality'. Very handy to avoid having to fan-out with three 2-input OR gates just to get 4 inputs.

It's abstraction. The name may not make perfect sense in every specific case but by doing that, it does make sense in general terms applied to many different cases.

Think of a program to move a vehicle.

You could have

Car.Roll
    Plane.Fly
    Boat.Cruise

You have to essentially write most of the same stuff for each vehicle to move from A to B, just with different mechanics and then your functions can only work with one type of vehicle. But if the way you interact with each vehicle is:

Car.Move
    Plane.Move
    Boat.Move

Then it's the same code to move a Plane as it is a Car. They just each get that done differently behind the scenes.

I digress and hijack, but that's a bit of the "why" behind that.

CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Downloads
    Uploads

First "job" under Path Pilot - mill a square profile onto the end of a 1.125" square brass bar using a new 5/16" carbide endmill.

The objective being to confirm the accuracy of the axis scaling performed during setup.

Seems within the accuracy of the mill.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'd call that a win!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice..... very nice.!

CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Downloads
    Uploads

As I use Cambam, the g-code doesn't use radius comp. I had a part today where I had a counterbore to fit a needle bearing that was too small. I added a few lines to the g-code for that hole to use G41 radius compensation and ran the code several times in a row with increasingly negative diameter in the tool table until I got a good sliding fit. Saved a bit of time over multiple reposts.

First time using radius compensation on Novakon, and nice to know it works, at least in simple cases, with PP.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm a relative noob at CNC controls, and am attempting to install PathPilot on a Novakon nm200R2 as kvom did here, and have everything working except the spindle. After 6 mind-numbing days trying to get it working, I'm reaching out for some help.

The machine is running a Mesa 5i25 connected to a cnc4pc C11G rev 8.7 BoB, and I've tried the 5i25_c11x.bit using kvom's tormach_1100-3.ini and nm200.hal, and the 5i25_c11gx.bit provided by PCW_MESA and attempted to set up a PWMGEN.

The machine runs fine with Mach3 and ESS smooth stepper, so it's not a hardware or wiring issue.

Can anyone tell me which bitfile I should be using, as well as how to get the spindle to turn? I'll gladly pay for the help.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PathPilot on NM200-brushless-motor-controller-pdf  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by yodaddy View Post
    I'm a relative noob at CNC controls, and am attempting to install PathPilot on a Novakon nm200R2 as kvom did here, and have everything working except the spindle. After 6 mind-numbing days trying to get it working, I'm reaching out for some help.

The machine is running a Mesa 5i25 connected to a cnc4pc C11G rev 8.7 BoB, and I've tried the 5i25_c11x.bit using kvom's tormach_1100-3.ini and nm200.hal, and the 5i25_c11gx.bit provided by PCW_MESA and attempted to set up a PWMGEN.

The machine runs fine with Mach3 and ESS smooth stepper, so it's not a hardware or wiring issue.

Can anyone tell me which bitfile I should be using, as well as how to get the spindle to turn? I'll gladly pay for the help.

Thanks!
    You _must_ use 5i25_c11gx.bit as its the only bitfile with the proper pinout

As far as getting the spindle to turn, that's a hal file setup issue (The charge pump setup is as well)

I suspect you will get better help on the LinuxCNC forum since these are very LinuxCNC specific setup issues

Edit: glancing at your halfile. there is no PWM setup, scaling or connections, only the Tormach
    spindle stuff which is inappropriate for a PWM --> analog driven spindle

Last edited by PCW_MESA; 10-16-2019 at 05:36 PM. Reason: add halfile comment

Downloads
    Uploads

This is where I'm confused. Kvom said on this thread that his BOB didn't have PWM, and that is why he used stepgen to control his spindle. I have the same BOB, and according to page 7 of the C11G_R8_7_USER_MANUAL.pdf that I attached -

5.2 Variable speed control (pin 14)

This function lets you control your spindle with step and direction signals, as if it was an axis motor. It converts the step signal into an analog (0-10VDC).

My BOB is wired to the PWM terminals on the motor controller. Wire from BOB #14 to the controller PWM terminal, and a wire from BOB relay (controlled by pin #16) to the controller F/R Dir terminal. I'm lost. Is my BOB controlling the spindle with a PWM, or a stepgen generating out a PWM signal?

I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Thanks,
    Rick

Downloads
    Uploads

Ahh yes, it looks like CNC4PC changed from step/dir to PWM in the current revision (9)
    so you should used the 5i25_c11x2.bit bit file if you have a REV 8 C11G card and
    5i25_c11gx2 if you have a REV 9 C11G card.

Whether via step rate or PWM the C11 BOB outputs an analog signal proportional
    to the step rate or PWM duty cycle, so the analog 0..10V output of the BOB should be
    wired to the drives analog (potentiometer) input for speed control. In addition you will need to
    connect (in hal) the appropriate pins for spindle on and spindle direction

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for clarifying which bit file I should use.

The confusion comes from the fact I don't have PWM, but the wiring appears to be set up for PWM. In the BRUSHLESS MOTOR 110220V.doc file I uploaded, page 9 shows CN15. My BOB #14 is wired to the PWM terminal, and an NC relay on the BOB is wired to the F/R terminal. Page 11 shows CN17 and the 0-10V Analog speed terminals, which is not used on my set up.

To add to the confusion (for me), the machine works perfectly with Mach3 and an ESS stepper, where the spindle is configured as a PWM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by yodaddy View Post
    This is where I'm confused. Kvom said on this thread that his BOB didn't have PWM, and that is why he used stepgen to control his spindle. I have the same BOB, and according to page 7 of the C11G_R8_7_USER_MANUAL.pdf that I attached -

5.2 Variable speed control (pin 14)

This function lets you control your spindle with step and direction signals, as if it was an axis motor. It converts the step signal into an analog (0-10VDC).

My BOB is wired to the PWM terminals on the motor controller. Wire from BOB #14 to the controller PWM terminal, and a wire from BOB relay (controlled by pin #16) to the controller F/R Dir terminal. I'm lost. Is my BOB controlling the spindle with a PWM, or a stepgen generating out a PWM signal?

I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Thanks,
    Rick
    Ahh so you are ignoring the stepgen --> analog circuitry in which case you DO want to use 5i25_c11gx2.bit
    (which has a PWM generator on pin 14)

So just as a said before, the PWM gen needs to be setup (set frequency, mode, and scaling and
    possible inversion of the PWM signal ) and connected to LinuxCNCs spindle speed command
    and enable signals in the hal file. In addition its looks like you will need to setup pins 1 and
    16 to control the relays

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks!

I tried that during my 6 day misadventure, but obviously didn't set it up properly.

PM sent.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456