PathPilot on Novakon Torus Pro - Page 2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PathPilot on Novakon Torus Pro

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PathPilot on Novakon Torus Pro

Since I would be using a PCIe computer and the 6i25 board, are there any differences in the bit file?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kvom View Post
    Since I would be using a PCIe computer and the 6i25 board, are there any differences in the bit file?
    No, the same firmware is for the 5i25 and 6i25

If your spindle uses a servo then you need STEPGEN. If you have a VFD that is speed controlled by 0-10 volts then you use PWMGEN.

Scott...

Instructional Videos for CNC Guitar Building
    http://www.rmgvideos.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I ordered the mesa card and sent a request to Tormach. Wait mode.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kvom View Post
    I ordered the mesa card and sent a request to Tormach. Wait mode.
    kvom,

If you would please, do me a favor and create a new thread "PathPilot on Novakon NM200" in the main Novakon forum. That way you can cronicle your work on your conversion in that thread and we can keep this one related to the Torus Pro.

Thanks,
    Scott...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
    Thanks for this. I'm probably going to give it a try soon. I'm wondering if I will still be able to use my vista pendant with path pilot? Has anyone done so already?

Tom
    I just use a shuttle pro express off Amazon.
    Plug and play

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Now that there is a file set specific to the Torus Pro, I decided to give this a shot, so I ordered the PathPilot DVD by calling Tormach (not sure why so many try so hard to circumvent the phone call, the lady that takes the orders is very nice and very willing to take your $100) the Mesa 5i25 card from their website…a new Kingston 120 gig Solid State Drive and a DB25 male to male cable from Amazon prime…For a total of $250.00ish including shipping (everything arriving inside of 3 days)

Installing PathPilot from the DVD onto a blank hard drive, easy, took all of about 5 minutes, and nothing else is needed…

Next, I followed Scott’s (sagreen) mini tutorial (post 1) which took me a little time to become familiar with linux, not having any prior experience… start to finish was maybe 15 minutes to complete his directions… and on the final reboot path pilot was operational, success! I did go into the ini file and change the axis limit settings and homing settings, both being very simple to figure out, and to do… So the entire process start to finish, a couple of hours…

My first impressions of PathPilot are very positive, I really like the way the interface is laid out, and the available functions are ones I want available…While there are some difference’s like for example the tool table offsets are bit different at least for me. I couldn’t get PathPilot to recognize negative values in tool offsets, in mach3 all of my tool offsets are set up as negative values…no big deal as I had to start over anyway…

I haven’t had a chance to generate any g-code specifically for PathPilot yet, (I am learning Fusion 360 for that) but I did run one of my biggest mach3 files, and a file Scott (sagreen) sent me that he created with Fusion 360, both without a tool in the spindle, I didn’t want to risk damage to a fixture by running my file, and didn’t want to cut a set soft jaws to make Scott’s part, I really just wanted to see if there was going to be any issues or errors to address, so far there are none.

My goal for a while has been to find a motion software that works, and without a big learning curve to set it up, or to operate it…. PathPilot for me is mission accomplished!

So to EVERYONE who has contributed to this, a very big thank you, it was much easier than I anticipated!

Ray

Downloads
    Uploads

And it will get better from this point onward.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ray - so glad Novakon users continue to install and use PathPilot.

One thing I can't stress enough, keep copies of the 4 files (2 hal, 1 ini, 1 bit file) somewhere safe. When you go to update PP, it will wipe all of those, and you'll need to put em back.

Downloads
    Uploads

Right.
    I have learned to just be satisfied with the version I have installed on both the lathe and the Pulsar.
    As long as it is all working fine, there is less risk this way.
    That said, if these were hobby machines, I would be running the latest update on both. Why not.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

A couple things I've bought since installing PathPilot that have become indespensible:

1) Tool Setter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Recommended by Mr. Bonedoc. This thing is great for quickly setting the tool heights of your tools to place in your tool table. Not sure how I lived without this thing in the past! I was using a granite block, and height gauge, but this thing is a lot faster!

2) Shuttle - https://www.tormach.com/store/index....show&ref=30616 I was using one of the E-Bay jog shuttles with Mach3, but this shuttle has much better control of speed when you are sneaking up on a part. This is just a re-labeled shuttle from another manufacturer, but its not that much more expensive directly from tormach.

3) USB WiFi network controller - https://www.tormach.com/store/index....show&ref=38207 I tried a few other WiFi controllers that I had laying around but none of them worked with Linux. So, I bought this one, cheap and problem solved.

Scott...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sagreen View Post
    A couple things I've bought since installing PathPilot that have become indespensible:

1) Tool Setter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Recommended by Mr. Bonedoc. This thing is great for quickly setting the tool heights of your tools to place in your tool table. Not sure how I lived without this thing in the past! I was using a granite block, and height gauge, but this thing is a

Scott...
    Umm, that's Dr. Bonedoc.....PathPilot on Novakon Torus Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Word Doc.

Lee

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast