Novakon Laser Cutter! - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Novakon Laser Cutter!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Novakon Laser Cutter!

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Thanks for this. That is about what I recall reading. You would need a fabulous containment and filtering system.
    We cut too much of it to worry about yet another safety concern. The plasma cutter is badd enough and it's smoke is vented directly outside. I still generally use a respirator.
    It is probably a good time to mention that the lasers have a ventilation system also. The smoke is drawn out and ejected outside by the power fan that is connected to the back of the laser. It is about a 6" hose and is vented outside too.

Regards,
    John

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Novakon View Post
    Michael-

As it turns out, I had my emloyee in China at the Bodor factory yesterday inspecting our first lasers. We had talked with management and the turn around time on this laser is 10 days after order and about 30 days for shipment to Charlotte, NC for us to pick up. If you want to look at this model, I will jump on board also and get some machines coming with your order. Otherwise I was going to wait and look at this model later in the Spring. Timing this important this time of the year when Chinese New Years comes in January, nothing ships for weeks. We would have to order this in about a week to 10 days to make sure we have no delays. The factory is right on schedule and our laser order will be sent to the port in 3-4 days from now.

If you are interested in this model, please let me know and I can get them here by late January with your order.

Regards,
    John
    Thanks John, but I'm just beginning to learn about Bodor and am not ready to commit at this time. I spent some time in Hong Kong and am familiar with how Chinese New Year's screws up business matters but I really need to think about this more.

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    What is it that you guys are using a laser for?
    For me it will be mostly a hobby tool, and I'm planning to make organization aids for my precision tools as well as the odd 3D engraving and little gifts for friend and family. It would be a bonus if I could make some money with it, but that's not essential.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Steve303 View Post
    John, are these laser cutters CSA, or cUL approved for use in Canada?
    Steve
    Hi Steve,

Nothing that I am aware of is approved in the west without special testing. Most often it is approved in Europe in part, but not as a whole system. I am looking into this and will get an answer soon. I might be surprised.

Thanks,
    John

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Steve,

Nothing that I am aware of is approved in the west without special testing. Most often it is approved in Europe in part, but not as a whole system. I am looking into this and will get an answer soon. I might be surprised.

Thanks,
    John
    It looks like it is CE only and means nothing in the West...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Novakon Laser Cutter!-dsc00845-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

The first lasers are on their way. Here are some pictures for your enjoyment.

Very clean and very well designed...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Novakon Laser Cutter!-dsc00801-jpg   Novakon Laser Cutter!-dsc00809-jpg   Novakon Laser Cutter!-dsc00807-jpg   Novakon Laser Cutter!-dsc00803-jpg  

Novakon Laser Cutter!-dsc00820-jpg   Novakon Laser Cutter!-dsc00821-jpg   Novakon Laser Cutter!-dsc00825-jpg   Novakon Laser Cutter!-dsc00827-jpg  

Novakon Laser Cutter!-dsc00843-jpg   Novakon Laser Cutter!-dsc00850-jpg   Novakon Laser Cutter!-dsc00861-jpg   Novakon Laser Cutter!-dsc00848-jpg  

Novakon Laser Cutter!-dsc00829-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

It looks like it is CE only and means nothing in the West...
    Thanks for the update John. I was think us using this in a business and I do think it would need one of the certification marks that the ESA recognizes.

https://www.esasafe.com/electricalproducts/marks

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a Bodor video of the laser I purchased from Novakon.

Downloads
    Uploads

MichaleHenry
    Here is a video of the Bodor 40 watt mini laser in action.
    It seems from what I can see is that Bodor carries the quality and materials they use on the big commercial machines down to the smaller units like ours.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ram48 View Post
    MichaleHenry
    Here is a video of the Bodor 40 watt mini laser in action.
    It seems from what I can see is that Bodor carries the quality and materials they use on the big commercial machines down to the smaller units like ours.
    Thanks for that link on the Bodor Mini. Does anyone know which, if any, of the Bodor CO2 lasers can do 3D engraving?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Thanks for that link on the Bodor Mini. Does anyone know which, if any, of the Bodor CO2 lasers can do 3D engraving?
    Michale
    It is my understanding ( and I am still a total newb) that a 3d engraving operation is software driven using layers and altering the laser Power and speed between layers.
    If you research RDworks videos there is a fellow from england named Russ that has a great series of video tutorials and how to's regarding the RD works software, it seems quite robust for a free included package.
    here is a link to save you the search

Downloads
    Uploads

Ram98 - my understanding is that 3D engraving requires a power supply whose output can be varied continuously and fairly rapidly but that's just an inference. From what I've read, 3D engraving is not necessarily a standard laser feature and the generic K40 lasers are not 3D-capable as shipped. Still learning though, and hoping somebody hear knows for certain.

Downloads
    Uploads

MichaelHenry you are correct in your understanding that a higher-powered laser tube will create a better 3D engraving. The Bodor 110w laser machines that Novakon is selling can do 3D engraving. The supplied RDWorks software allows you to use up to 256 shades of grey to create a bit mapped image. You enter a minimum and maximum power setting for the image. The RDWorks software than assigns an individual power level to each shade of grey that is in the image. The lighter pixels are assigned a lower power level and the darker pixels are assigned a higher power level. In other words, an image with sixteen shades of grey would have sixteen different laser power settings equally divided between the minimum and maximum power levels entered into the RDWorks software program.

The quality of the 3D engraving can vary greatly depending on the material being engraved. A 3D image engraved in MDF is usually poor quality. Different types of wood provide varying levels of quality. Search YouTube for videos relating to 3D laser engraving to obtain more information on this subject.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Steve303 View Post
    Thanks for the update John. I was think us using this in a business and I do think it would need one of the certification marks that the ESA recognizes.

https://www.esasafe.com/electricalproducts/marks

Steve
    Hi Steve,

Depending on the application and where you want to install this, you can get a waiver for certain situations. I have seen this done with our mills. Having authority to connect to the grid is different than OSHA safety requirements. If it is just legally connecting to the grid, check with your local electrical contractor for the details. As far as I know, the lasers in this price range are not made in the USA and probably don't have any certifications.

If the application is a school or a government connection, it is more difficult to get approved but UL point of installation can be purchased. If it is for your own business startup, it much simpler, practically nonexistent.

Maybe this will help you in your research.

Regards,
    John

Downloads
    Uploads

FWIW, I used to work in a US government lab which got instruments from all over the world. Not infrequently, the equipment was not NRTL-listed so it had to be inspected by laboratory personnel that were trained and approved to do the inspections. That wasn't a huge deal and inspections frequently took a few hours or less. Perhaps Steve's employer has a similar program.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi John
    Nice looking machine. I see it has a Reci tube. Does it also have a Reci "P" 'intelligent' power supply or is it a "DY" series? the DSP looks very similar to one I have although slightly different.
    Im going to send you an email. I need to talk with you about a reci tube... Im in need of a little help.

remember anderson....?

Cheers! Rich

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Rick,

Sure has been a long time! I vaguely remembered that name, but now I will have to forget it again...

I got your email and now I better understand your situation. There are a lot of "fly by night" suppliers in China and you will get junk if they think it is a one time sale. My choice for selecting Bodor lasers came after looking at many factories and then making my decision. I do have an advantage of having an employee close to the factory and being able to screen the parts relatively easily. I will be stocking common parts soon for my model laser, and I can look into the power supply information with China tonight about your power supply problem. You are on the west coast so probably I can call you tonight before it is too late if I get a quick answer back.

We will talk soon.

Regards,
    John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you John, Appreciate it. I look forward to speaking with you. Sorry to stir the pot...LoL!! Just remember ber that there isn't much worth remembering!

An 80 watt tube will cut 3/4 plexi / acyrlic well. I suspect that a 110 watt tube will do an even better job.

Have you considered offering a 150-180 watt set up that will cut thin mild steel materials?

Downloads
    Uploads

For those of you with Novakon's Bodor Lasers, have any of you changed out the Final focal point Lens from the standard?

Interested in the process to do that. We've taken the tube off of ours and it looks pretty easy to change, but obviously if you change the focal length, then the spacing that you adjust the red tube to the material is going to have to change.

Did you get a different tube?
    What is the focal length of the standard lens?

Thanks in advance,
    Scott...

Instructional Videos for CNC Guitar Building
    http://www.rmgvideos.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Scott
    It is very easy to change from the supplied 63MM (2.5 in lens to the 101MM lens If you look at the tube, it is threaded on both ends the 101 mm lens installs in the opposit end of the tube.
    it is a long thread you just remove the 63mm and insert the 101mm in the other end of the tube,
    make sure the flat side of the lens if facing the work, drop in the o ring and screw the retaining ring down to snug the lens.
    If you have any more questions or would like a pic or two for clarification let me know
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by sagreen View Post
    For those of you with Novakon's Bodor Lasers, have any of you changed out the Final focal point Lens from the standard?

Interested in the process to do that. We've taken the tube off of ours and it looks pretty easy to change, but obviously if you change the focal length, then the spacing that you adjust the red tube to the material is going to have to change.

Did you get a different tube?
    What is the focal length of the standard lens?

Thanks in advance,
    Scott...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast