Mach issue - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mach issue

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mach issue

Hi Keith, I have seen the same issue on my mill from time to time. Mill is a NM-200 Pro. Although I have changed the spindle motor, VFD, drivers and most other electronics, the computer is what came with the mill and is running windows 7. If I start the mill and run a short program, 20 min's or less and then it sit's idles for more then 20 min's, it locks up completely and needs a full reboot. It will occasionally lock during a program run but usually will come back and continue but sometimes doesn't and has to be re booted. I have tried a couple different versions of mach with the same results.
    I run Mach3 on my lathe but with windows XP and it has NEVER locked or even glitched and it has over 6000 HRs of run time on it.
    I believe it's an issue with Mach and windows 7, but I just haven't had time to find out for sure. I know when I first got the NM-200, it had VM loaded on it as well and if VM was open, mach went for a loop.
    By the way, if you do have to restart mach part way through a program, once your off sets are re set, do a "run from" the last tool change, take the tool out of the spindle and let it move to the appropriate position, then when you click run again, it will stop for the tool change.
    Ray

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My NM-200 has the same issue from time to time. Controller is the CD-100 box. All axes plus spindle stop. I never need to reboot PC, just stop/restart Mach3 after recording the 3 axes coords and line#.

After restart and before moving axes I set the DROs, then find a safe "run to here" line in the program, usually the previous clearance move.

I recently had a new BOB installed, and that has reduced the number of occurences.

Downloads
    Uploads

One of the first tests I did with the new Pulsar was to let it sit powered up all day. If that had been the Torus, It would have at least set an Estop condition or locked up Mach 3 at least once and maybe twice. It quit doing that during a run once I installed a new X axis home switch, but still occurred when idle for a time.
    The Pulsar doesn't do that. It has the Ethernet Smooth Stepper and I'm pretty sure that is what fixed it.
    Thanks a bunch for improving your products every chance you get, John. It shows.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

I've had random situatios where simply rebooting didn't work, but actually shutting off the power to the mill and restarting fixed everything. As Ray said, I've had days where I ran 10 hours without any issues. Other days not so good. I also have situations where after 4 or 5 hours, the axis will continue to move after I stopped turning the pendant jog wheel, as if the commands are "qued up".
    I got the new bob today, so it will be interasting to see if that changes anything. Novakon support has been great BTW.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LAKESNAKE View Post
    I've had random situatios where simply rebooting didn't work, but actually shutting off the power to the mill and restarting fixed everything. As Ray said, I've had days where I ran 10 hours without any issues. Other days not so good. I also have situations where after 4 or 5 hours, the axis will continue to move after I stopped turning the pendant jog wheel, as if the commands are "qued up".
    I got the new bob today, so it will be interasting to see if that changes anything. Novakon support has been great BTW.
    Lake, I also got the new BOB and am waiting to install. I am very eager to leave my machine and hoping it does not lock-up after 20 mins, I have big hopes for the B.O.B!

-Jason

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Loosing communication while sitting idle is definitely a Mach3-windows 7 problem. XP machines do not do it. I have a few of each. I much prefer to run parallel ports on my machines. Regarding the Windows 7 problem, here is what i have tried. Remove bluetooth for program transfers. Set all sleep/ hibernate and screensavers to 0 or off. Including monitor and hard drive. Any kind of network connection wifi or bluetooth can cause random errors with mach3.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12