The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro - Page 4

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Can you snap some pictures of your saddle when you remove the table? I assume that is part of the plan to remove and inspect it. I mention this because of this thread.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/novako...ml#post1475050

Check out the last few posts if you haven't been following it. I know they are different machines, but still similar enough I think.
    I am planning to take it down to the saddle to make sure everything is good, clean and assembled right. I have a bunch of pictures from this weekend to upload but I will not have time to post them until later today. One addresses "assembled right" as I cut an oil line in half traversing the table this weekend plus I made a discovery about the front covers this weekend when I tried to install the one that Ray send me to trade.

-Dan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok so a little weekend progress update.

First up I received the spindle/top cover from Ray to trade for mine. But when I went to install it I was in for a ugly surprise, it is not the same size nor is it interchangeable.
    The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-imag4338-jpgThe order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-imag4340-jpg

Here is a picture showing the mismatched color of my spindle cover and the motor shroud.
    The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-imag4342-jpg

Loading the mill and stand up was a little interesting, it was a very snug fit to get the stand in the back of my truck and too a lot of careful forklift maneuvering. Getting the mill into the trailer was not as hard. It did end up getting late before we were able to leave the shop. My fiance was a huge help in getting the items loaded and secured.
    The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-imag4344-jpgThe order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-imag4345-jpg

This picture is not the best quality but it gives you an idea how incredibly well the base casting is designed.
    The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-imag4349-jpg

I did not get any pictures of the circus act of getting the mill off the trailer and the stand out of the truck. I decided to hold off on the chip tray and all the stuff for now. This will allow me to work on the mill and move it around easily. I ended up going with the 3" leveling casters from access casters. These have a M16X2mm female thread on the top. I ordered bolts from McMaster Carr just for them. Those did not show in time, so I wen to the hardware store and spent $17 on 4 bolts and nuts just to get this thing together. After the wheels were on I noticed in the bottom of the box was a baggie with 4 set screws to use as studs and 4 nuts. So I think I spent like $25 on hardware I did not need to.
    The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-imag4351-jpg

I had a little oops with one of the oil lines while making sure everything moves from limit to limit. I guess someone at the factory forgot to make sure this line was out of the way of the end bearing block. It really did not take much effort and it was sliced through. Not a big deal, but now it means I am going to replace a bunch of lines with soft copper since this one needs work. I also took pictures of some of the oil distribution blocks. I find it very odd that they are tucked against the sides so lightly when moving them back 1/2" would have allowed a better fit and would not interfere with anything.
    The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-imag4359-jpgThe order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-imag4360-jpgThe order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-imag4361-jpg

One last picture, this is the spindle cartridge in case you have not seen one. Its got a different construction then most I have seen. The flange is not part of the body, it is bolted on. Some initial measurements lead me to believe that the Tormach BT30 spindle cartridge could very easily be adapted to this mill. This one measures 80mm in diameter just like the Tormach. The downside to that one is it is draw bar only as they sell it and it is only rated about 5500 RPM. I looked at using their spindle and machining it out and buying a pull stud gripper but the cost of a gripper is about $125-150 imported from China. Then I add in my time to figure out how to machine it correctly and make it work (without any mistakes) and now we have at minimum $700 in hard goods and my time. This is why I took my chances and ordered a larger 90mm spindle cartridge complete with the pedal pull stud gripper for a bit more money. On the note of spindles I was told today that I would be getting the DHL tracking number tomorrow for my spindle. This has me rather excited because the spindle is about 3 weeks late in shipping, partly due to the custom configuration I ordered and then to a bad bearing found while testing it.
    The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-imag4366-jpg

That is all I have for tonight. I did score 2 1 meter long linear bearings used off ebay that are suppose to be a direct replacement for the ones on the mill. Nest up will be taking the table apart and replacing some of the plastic lines with metal, and making sure everything in clean and orderly. Then back to the headstock and figuring out if I am diving in with the BT30 spindle or going to start running the R8 for a while. Part of me wants to build once and not go back to rework, but part of me wants to get the mill running ASAP.

-Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice update; thanks again! Oh, and I'm glad to hear the model is helping, at least a little. If you happen to find any egregious errors could you let me know about them?

Cool! I always wondered what the bottom of the bottom casting looked like. Apparently not enough to stick a camera or mirror under it though. Ah, so that's what the spindle looks like - that's about what I figured.

Tough call with the "build it right or use it for a while?" question. :/ Normally I'd add my 2¢ here, but I really wouldn't be able to decide for myself either.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have to sneak in a little early morning update.

While looking for 5/32 or 4mm soft copper tubing and compression sleeves to replace some of the lines under my saddle with. I stumbled upon a great webpage Fluidline Systems Lubrication Equipment Supply. Call 419-535-1313 They sell Bijur and Lube USA parts and its an online store. Typically you would have to go through a local sales rep or scoure ebay for exactly what you are looking for if you needed lube system parts. But not anymore.

I forgot to add an update on the Yaskawa spindle motor that I was struggling with. I took the motor down to my friends machine shop this weekend and hooked it up to an unused 208 3 phase disconnect. When I flipped it on the motor came right up to speed and seem to be running at about 1500 RPM like it should. But when I looked down at the clamp on amp meter I had placed on one of the lines to the motor I got scared. The meter was reading 175 amps, I snapped the disconnect off as fast as I could. I was going to test the current draw on each leg of the motor but when I tried the second one it did nothing, a quick check of the breaker and I found it had tripped (30 amp). I decided at this point to call it quits and just pack it up. Now I am hoping the seller I bought it from does not give me too hard of a time.

-Dan

-Dan

Last edited by engnerdan; 04-22-2014 at 02:19 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So here are the pictures of the dirty and painted bearings.

Pictures 1 & 2 - are of the general grime all over the linear bearing blocks, while not detrimental it is a reflection of the cleanliness.

Pictures 3 & 4 - This is the Y axis ball screw, it is very hard to see and looks like just specks of paint but it is a continuous band of paint in the root of the ball groove. This is where the lubricant is to be flowing. Someone tried to wipe up the over spray but did not get it all.

Picture 5 - This is the Z axis ball screw nut. While paint on the nut does not hurt anything it shows that the gap between the nut and the bearings was not covered and paint was also sprayed right into the bearing.

Picture 6 - This is the Z axis ball screw with a fair amount of paint on it. This is after I wiped off some before thinking of taking a picture.

Picture 7 & 8 - These are the tops of the linear bearing rails with excess paint on them

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-imag4299-jpg   The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-imag4300-jpg   The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-imag4303-jpg   The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-imag4304-jpg  

The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-imag4319-jpg   The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-imag4329-jpg   The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-imag4330-jpg   The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-imag4331-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

One more post for the night. I quick update on what I have accomplished so far this week.

-I got confirmation that my BT30 spindle has shipped from China today.
    -I placed the order for my servos and drives today from Machmotion.
    -I got a start on the electrical panel layout
    -I got a solid start on a headstock redesign, still not sure this is the way I will go but I have the option.
    -Lastly I think I have most of my I/O laid out for the KFLOPS controller

-Dan

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-pin-04-17-14-pdf   The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-electrical-panel-04-23-14-png   The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-new-headstock-design-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

This is a good reading so far and will be fun to follow along on your build.
    Don't forget room for 4th axis driver in your cabinet, Just kidding, I cant see drawing and I know very little about machine design.
    Anyway I like to follow setups and builds like this, Keep up the good work!
    md

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Take a look at Smithy's headstock for these machines. If you can get a casting you'll be all set with a more rigid head stock design.

The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro-dsc_4988-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

This is a great thread; really appreciate you documenting your build.

I wish there was a similar tear-down thread for the Tormach so those of us on the side lines could have some ability to judge build quality.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    This is a great thread; really appreciate you documenting your build.

I wish there was a similar tear-down thread for the Tormach so those of us on the side lines could have some ability to judge build quality.
    Too bad you couldn't make it to Cabin Fever a few weeks ago. Tormach and Novakon were both there ands maybe 75 feet from each other. It was easy to do a head to head comparison and IMHO Novakon came out ahead. and were doing real work with both machines all weekend while Tormach cut some wax then Air cut for most of the show.

Downloads
    Uploads

Personally, I'm rather baffled by the constant nit-picking about cosmetics. Perhaps I'm weird, but I'm MUCH more concerned about how the machine works, than I am by whether or not there's a little extra paint in the hidden areas. When it comes to getting work done, my Torus Pro has been fantastic. It has been reliable, VERY accurate, and has not caused me a minutes trouble over the last 15 months. The fact that the trays are a slightly different color than the machine never bothered me for one second. They come from different factories, so the paint is not going to match. The "work cube" is FAR larger than any other machine in its class, and the speed leaves all of its competitors in the dust. As for the cosmetics, there is a reason these machine cost 1/3 what a Haas VMC costs, and it's simply not reasonable to expect them to have the fit and finish of the MUCH more expensive machines. And why does it matter? For what they cost, these are a fantastic value. Perhaps the Tormach is slightly more nicely "finished" but functionally, I wouldn't trade mine for anything. I want to USE my machine, not LOOK at it. And watching the Tormach air cutting wax at 35 IPM, and doing "rapids" (a mis-nomer in this case...) at 110 IPM at Cabin Fever was downright painful, while the Novakons were actually cutting faster than that all day long for the whole two days.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ram48 View Post
    Too bad you couldn't make it to Cabin Fever a few weeks ago. Tormach and Novakon were both there ands maybe 75 feet from each other. It was easy to do a head to head comparison and IMHO Novakon came out ahead. and were doing real work with both machines all weekend while Tormach cut some wax then Air cut for most of the show.

And the novakon was cutting wood right?

engnerdan, good job on the honest reporting of the state of your machine, I don't view it as nit-picking myself, it is what it is, facts. looking forward to your build progress too.

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast