Torus Pro with servos and 4th axis - Page 2

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Torus Pro with servos and 4th axis

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Torus Pro with servos and 4th axis

Maybe you can either clone that drive or install (hard drive) it in you house computer. It is probably an IDE drive and all mine are SATA, so that would be problematic for me.
    I have a couple old drives that I was saving stuff on, and now do not know how to recover that.
    I do still have a couple old IDE MB's in some old boxes. Not sure why I took them out now. Been too long ago.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    mclotz70;
    Congrats on the pro. I'm in the process of setting up mine as we speak!
    Couple of questions for you. Regarding the 9X20 lathe cnc mod, did you design the mod yourself? I have a Travers Tools 9X20 collecting dust in my shop and would love to cnc it but haven't taken time to design the mounts. Any help or insight would be appreciated.
    Second question relates to your pro and is most likely for your thread followers. On my RF45 I used an aftermarket one shot oiler (Bijour clone) and when you pump the arm, It builds pressure and is spring loaded. I noted when installing my oiler yesterday that it operates a bit different. I appears to be pumping oil on the down stroke which is a different feeling that my other oiler. When you get your machine check that and post the results.
    Oh yeah, one other thing! On my machine, the oiler does not mount on the column as is pictured in most pro literature. They have moved it to the left front of the stand below the chip pan. My stand is the old configuration. I couldn't justify the upgrade cost of new style stand so I'm speaking to the old design.
    Good luck with your machine. I hope to be making chips sometime this coming weekend if my scheduls allows.
    Bill
    Hi Bill,
    Congrats on your pro too!!! I'm also getting the old style stand. I could wait 6 weeks for the new ones to come in, but I kinda spent that money on the rotary table. I may order the new stand later, but if this one works okay, I may just stick with it.

The lathe is a HF 9x20 that was converted by a previous owner. He said he made all the parts himself, but it looks identical to the Thompson conversion kit. I'm not positive this link will work right....I did a search of my own youtube channel and this is the page it came up with. I've got a lot of video posted of the tear down and assembly. It's probably the most in depth look at a conversion like this that I've seen yet. I've come across some nice write ups with pics, but video seems to give a lot more depth and perspective. I guess I could find the 9x20 forum on here and put them all on a thread there.

https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?o=U&sq=9x20

Yep.....I can't answer the oiler question yet

I didn't see a build thread for your pro in the list of threads you've started.......did I miss it?

Thanks!!
    Mike

Don't have to be too bright to be me :)
    bluehandsvideo on youtube

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Maybe you can either clone that drive or install (hard drive) it in you house computer. It is probably an IDE drive and all mine are SATA, so that would be problematic for me.
    I have a couple old drives that I was saving stuff on, and now do not know how to recover that.
    I do still have a couple old IDE MB's in some old boxes. Not sure why I took them out now. Been too long ago.
    I actually have that drive in the lathe's new computer, but it didn't want to work. That may be one of the things I put my son on when he's over....see if he can get it working. If not, we'll put the old one back together and go at it that way.

Can you put the old drives in external housings and connect via USB. Kinda slow, but you'd only have to transfer that way once.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Mike;
    I did not do a thread on my assembly. After seeing all the threads posted thus far, I felt I could add very little since I'm just the assembler. The next great step for me is to determine which enclosure I want to build. I've seen some nice work here but some appear to be overkill and expensive and others seem to be not very well done. I kind of hate to buy the quality of mill, spend the bucks and then put shower curtains around it (lol). Any idea you're going to use?
    Bill

billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Downloads
    Uploads

I have no trouble at all with $20 worth of shower curtains.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    Thanks Mike;
    I did not do a thread on my assembly. After seeing all the threads posted thus far, I felt I could add very little since I'm just the assembler. The next great step for me is to determine which enclosure I want to build. I've seen some nice work here but some appear to be overkill and expensive and others seem to be not very well done. I kind of hate to buy the quality of mill, spend the bucks and then put shower curtains around it (lol). Any idea you're going to use?
    Bill
    Bill,

Look at what I did with Coroplast, for a total cost of under $50. I am completely satisfied with it, and see no need to make a "hard" enclosure. The only thing I want to do it ditch the shower curtains over the opening, and put in sliding Plexiglas doors. But that has to wait until the new production stand shows up.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

I may get a wild hair one day and do it right, but I cannot complain about something that cost so little, needs no maint. and works as well as it does.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Bill....keep in mind that no one sees things from your exact point of view. The way you take a picture or do a write up may be exactly the missing piece that someone else needs.

I'm not doing any enclosure......I really want chips and coolant everywhere!!! LOL! Sorry....just kidding, but that's probably how I'll run it the first few times!! I'll just put on a face shield and a raincoat.

Like you said....there's some really nice ones out there. I'm not against the shower curtain to get started with, but I'd love to do something a bit nicer for the long haul. There's certainly something to be said for the shower curtain being able to move out of your way when you're trying to get a weird angle on a setup. I'm pretty short....my enclosure might have ladders on each side.

Downloads
    Uploads

After reading Ray and Lee's posts......maybe I'll run shower curtains until I know for sure if I'm going to upgrade the stand or not. I think some of the 80/20 enclosures I've seen are pretty sweet. I'll have to see if I can find pics on here Ray and Lee's later tonight. I've seen both, but I'm looking at them with new eyes now that I've bought one.

Downloads
    Uploads

Has your machine been shipped yet mklotz70? Would there be a shipping advantage if you got the stand shipped at the same time as your mill? I have a stand on order (that I REALLY need to pay for) and the shipping is going to cost me $900!

Waiting the extra month (or whatever) will suck, but a year from now you'll probably be thankful. I don't know about you, but the prospect of swapping the stands doesn't appeal to me very much. It's not the end of he world or anything (in fact, at this point I'm kinda good at lifting/placing the mill) but it's still going to take a couple hours.

Downloads
    Uploads

$900 shipping???!!!!!!! OUCH!!! That makes it a nearly $2500 upgrade later (since I'll have the original stand)($2500 + shipping to buy outright). I'd get to keep the original stand, but I don't have room for it. I don't have a use for it unless I convert my round column to cnc......and there's no point in that if I have a Torus Pro sitting right there! At this point, it's going to ship next week, but the new stand would delay it another 6 weeks.

I've seen some of the upgrades for drainage and coolant on the original stand. Seems they're just about required. I'm I still going to hate it after the mods?

Time to go do a bit more research on the enclosures and stand mods.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

After reading the threads on the new stand and mods people had done to the original, I decided to rework my series one machine that I recently bought used. I made new riser blocks to allow for more clearance under the machine that will better facilitate chip removal. I cut in two long narrow drains 24" long that I welded up from 4" square tubing each drain has two lift out trays for screen material that I have yet to install. I will use fine SS mesh for the top and cloth or felt for the bottom. I have not tried this modification but I'm hoping it will give me the advantages of the new stand without the cost. I'm new to CNC and still trying to get my head around G-code so I have not really used my mill yet .

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Torus Pro with servos and 4th axis-img_0286-jpg   Torus Pro with servos and 4th axis-img_0288-jpg   Torus Pro with servos and 4th axis-img_0289-jpg   Torus Pro with servos and 4th axis-img_0291-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

That mod looks great. I am sure that will work very well for you. I see one issue in the last picture though. Coolant runs downhill.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Its a bad picture the coolant trough has almost an inch of slope to the pipe coupling welded in the bottom that will drain back into my tank.

Downloads
    Uploads

I was talking about it showing inverted.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jx3 View Post
    Its a bad picture the coolant trough has almost an inch of slope to the pipe coupling welded in the bottom that will drain back into my tank.
    He was referring to the last photo, which is posted upside-down....

Downloads
    Uploads

jx3......very nice!!! I read your post in my email.....I was very happy to see you included pics when I got to the forum! Thank you!!!! Looks like it came out great! I guess you need to start making some chips to test it out.

I'm a complete newb on the cnc mill. I'm still an extreme novice with g-code, but I've been playing with it on my 9x20 converted lathe..............which I should probably be running right now! lol!

Do you have a build thread going...if so, can you put a link up. I checked your profile, but didn't come up with any threads started.

Thanks!
    Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry Mike no build thread that was my first post in the 3 yrs that Ive been registered on the forum, yes hoping to start making chips shortly

Downloads
    Uploads

No prob, but hopefully, you'll put one up at some point. I've been a member 3yrs longer than you and this is only my second thread. lol

Okay.....everything is pretty well set at this point. I'll wire the money tomorrow for the new stand and the mill w/new stand will ship when the stand comes in. Looks like it will be faster than 6 weeks. I actually need some extra time in the shop to get caught up, so this is going to work out perfectly.

I don't imagine there will be much going on here for a few weeks.

Downloads
    Uploads

I haven't forgotten about this. Customs delayed stuff going and coming. I took delivery June 6th. I haven't been in any hurry and I finally got the first vid trimmed down.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast