Just ordered the last melon (Torus) - Page 4

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Just ordered the last melon (Torus)

Downloads
    Uploads

I actually think it may have been more of an oversight than intentional. I also imagine it was the Chinese factory that was at fault for the oversight. That said, we all know ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law and Customs. I ship products around the World and I pay strict attention to the Customs forms and regulations. Takes a little time per package, but it is a must do.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ship em to Ray and have him drop ship them to US customers for replacements..

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rlockwood View Post
    There's an odd trend of people finding somewhat strange items in the cabinets.. Perhaps the factory should either check the cabinet before they ship a mill out, or stop using them for storage?

Looks good, hadn't realized the Torus shipped on the stand like that, quite convenient
    Very convenient, although the height of the mill on the stand (and the pallet) caused a few moments of consternation about whether we were going it to fit under the garage door and into the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay
    I found 6 transformers in the base of mine. They are a little smaller than what is installed in the Torus. Perhaps these are all old stock or non functioning units? They look new though. John didn't seem to want them back, but they are pretty heavy. Shipping them back across the border would surely cost. It's probably 150 pounds of transformers and I have thought the factory may use it as ballast to lower the center of gravity so that it isn't so tippy.
    They could have shipped some iron and steel plates instead. Something I could use.

I don't have a diagram of the wiring, but you are correct. It is all 220 VAC. It is a nice clean setup and installation in the panel. Nothing difficult to trace on it.

Your pictures look real familiar.
    I don't get the impression that Khai or John are very eager to have these coolant pumps returned. At least they're not burning up my e-mail to arrange shipping.

You're right that the wiring should be relatively easy to trace out. I'm lazy, though, and was hoping to find that someone else had already done the legwork.

Quote Originally Posted by rlockwood
    Ship em to Ray and have him drop ship them to US customers for replacements.
    That would actually be feasible. I'm not that far north of Ray. And who really needs an excuse to visit Santa Cruz?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    The Pulsar ships the same way.
    Does your Torus Pro and Pulsar have the same oil distribution manifold as my Torus does?

Just ordered the last melon (Torus)-imag0047a-jpg

Just ordered the last melon (Torus)-imag0048a-jpg

When I filled up the one-shot oiler with Vactra 2 way oil, the handle would go down within 15 seconds or so. After some poking around I discovered that the oil manifold pictured above was leaking at two different locations. Both the left and right flexible oil lines are leaking. The brass nut is not loose, so I think I'm going to have to remove both flexible lines from the manifold and see what the problem is.

The flexible oil lines appear to have a metal spiral surrounding plastic tubing. The metal spiral is easily separated by just a fingernail so that the underlying plastic tubing becomes visible.

Curiously, I couldn't find this style of aluminum oil distribution manifold anywhere even after quite a bit of searching. Plenty of manifolds machined out of solid stock, but nothing that looks like it is cast like my manifold. I also couldn't find this style of flexible oil line. My Google-Fu is weak today...

Downloads
    Uploads

Like others have found, my stepper motors have an exposed electrical connector.

Just ordered the last melon (Torus)-imag0043a-jpg

The name on the side of the square receptacle is WEIPU. The thread on this receptacle appears to be metric M18 x 1.0.

The style of the connector appears to be the WEIPU WS Series. http://www.weipuconnector.com/Upload...3887508831.pdf

Here is a pic of the WEIPU WS Series connectors. Notice that a cap is shown on one of the connectors.

Just ordered the last melon (Torus)-weipu-connector-pic-jpg

I had assumed that WEIPU had cloned some existing US or European circular connector family, but I wasn't able to find which one. And I'm not sure where or how to buy WEIPU connectors?

Titaniumboy

Downloads
    Uploads

Bijur, makes similar manifolds. The spring on the outside is just a guard. You can use 4mm or 5/32 nylon tubing also. If they are leaking under the brass nut, you can try replacing the ferule. If it leaking were the hose end is crimped to the rubber hose, then you will need a new hose assembly.

Downloads
    Uploads

All it really needs is sealed up. I used some silicone around the threads and a plastic end cap that came from a pipe or maybe powder coating plug. Works great.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by vertcnc View Post
    Bijur, makes similar manifolds. The spring on the outside is just a guard. You can use 4mm or 5/32 nylon tubing also. If they are leaking under the brass nut, you can try replacing the ferule. If it leaking were the hose end is crimped to the rubber hose, then you will need a new hose assembly.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "hose end is crimped to the rubber hose". There isn't any rubber hose, just some 4mm nylon tubing. Are you saying that the aluminum piece should be part of the brass compression parts?

At the manifold where both flex oil lines are leaking, the aluminum piece on the oil line is definitely separated from the brass compression parts. But at the other end of this oil line - where it connects at the one-shot oiler - the aluminum piece also doesn't look connected to the brass compression parts.

I think that there should have been a 90 deg elbow installed at both ends of the oil manifold so that the two flex oil lines would have come in at a better angle.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay
    All it really needs is sealed up. I used some silicone around the threads and a plastic end cap that came from a pipe or maybe powder coating plug. Works great.
    That sounds like a great idea. I wonder what this connector on the stepper motor is supposed to do?

I was also looking up these WEIPU circular connectors because there are a couple of the black cable conduits that are loose where they go into the vertical part of the column. It looks like a blue plastic piece was forgotten on one, and another one of the pass-throughs into the column is shorter than the others so it never tightens up properly.

Titaniumboy

Last edited by Titaniumboy; 02-21-2014 at 04:18 PM. Reason: added 4mm to nylon tubing description

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Titaniumboy View Post
    Does your Torus Pro and Pulsar have the same oil distribution manifold as my Torus does?

Just ordered the last melon (Torus)-imag0047a-jpg

Just ordered the last melon (Torus)-imag0048a-jpg

When I filled up the one-shot oiler with Vactra 2 way oil, the handle would go down within 15 seconds or so. After some poking around I discovered that the oil manifold pictured above was leaking at two different locations. Both the left and right flexible oil lines are leaking. The brass nut is not loose, so I think I'm going to have to remove both flexible lines from the manifold and see what the problem is.

The flexible oil lines appear to have a metal spiral surrounding plastic tubing. The metal spiral is easily separated by just a fingernail so that the underlying plastic tubing becomes visible.

Curiously, I couldn't find this style of aluminum oil distribution manifold anywhere even after quite a bit of searching. Plenty of manifolds machined out of solid stock, but nothing that looks like it is cast like my manifold. I also couldn't find this style of flexible oil line. My Google-Fu is weak today...
    The oil line connections are composed of the adapter, plastic 4mm line and a furrel. The spring material is just an armor cover to protect the plastic line. Sometimes, from what I can see from the picture, if the tubing is bending too close to the adapter, it can cause the furrel to not to seat properly in the adapter when tightened. A common problem in constricted spaces. We have plenty of stock parts to take care of the oil lines, connectors or manifolds as needed. There is no need to go search for parts, we have them all.

Regards,

Novakon Team

Downloads
    Uploads

Another thing I noticed this morning on the one-shot oiling system is that there was a puddle of oil underneath the oil manifold. It looks like there is some siphoning going on.

Would I still expect to see this siphoning action once I get both flex line oil leaks fixed?

Do any of the Novakon mills have some sort of metering for the varying amounts of oil needed for the different oil circuits?

Downloads
    Uploads

Like others have found, my stepper motors have an exposed electrical connector.

Just ordered the last melon (Torus)-imag0043a-jpg

The name on the side of the square receptacle is WEIPU. The thread on this receptacle appears to be metric M18 x 1.0.

The style of the connector appears to be the WEIPU WS Series. http://www.weipuconnector.com/Upload...3887508831.pdf

Here is a pic of the WEIPU WS Series connectors. Notice that a cap is shown on one of the connectors.

Just ordered the last melon (Torus)-weipu-connector-pic-jpg

I had assumed that WEIPU had cloned some existing US or European circular connector family, but I wasn't able to find which one. And I'm not sure where or how to buy WEIPU connectors?

Titaniumboy
    The smaller connector on the motor is inert and has no function. The stepper motors we buy have a special Novakon feature machined into the motor end that can mount an encoder. This was looked into in the past for "missed step" detection but never had a clear need for it. Therefor, all of our steppers have the connector for the encoder that was never fully implemented. Strangely enough, it would have cost us more to remove the feature that to continues with it, so now you know why it is still there. We still may use it one day, who knows.

As far as the Weipu connectors, we have plenty of stock of the ones we normally use. Other connector models we can bring in as required. The smaller caps for the motor connectors we now have if you want them also. Our store of connectors is quite complete.

Just let us know what is needed and we will most likely have the parts.

Regards,
    Novakon Team

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you think there's a possibility you may use the connector in the future, wouldn't it seem a good idea to protect it from damage?

Downloads
    Uploads

Another thing I noticed this morning on the one-shot oiling system is that there was a puddle of oil underneath the oil manifold. It looks like there is some siphoning going on.

Would I still expect to see this siphoning action once I get both flex line oil leaks fixed?

Do any of the Novakon mills have some sort of metering for the varying amounts of oil needed for the different oil circuits?
    In the previous pictures you posted, you will see three metering valves on the manifold (back side). The left side is the input from the pump and the right side ports out to another manifold inside the saddle which has other flow valves for distribution. If you are puddling, we just have to find the leaky line and repair it.

Regards,
    Novakon Team

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Novakon View Post
    The oil line connections are composed of the adapter, plastic 4mm line and a furrel. The spring material is just an armor cover to protect the plastic line. Sometimes, from what I can see from the picture, if the tubing is bending too close to the adapter, it can cause the furrel to not to seat properly in the adapter when tightened. A common problem in constricted spaces. We have plenty of stock parts to take care of the oil lines, connectors or manifolds as needed. There is no need to go search for parts, we have them all.

-------------

In the previous pictures you posted, you will see three metering valves on the manifold (back side). The left side is the input from the pump and the right side ports out to another manifold inside the saddle which has other flow valves for distribution. If you are puddling, we just have to find the leaky line and repair it.
    Hello Novakon Team (John?),

Thanks for the details regarding the oiling system. Do the metering valves have a built-in check valve? If yes, that would certainly prevent any siphoning issues once the leaks are fixed.

The two oil leaks are both at the manifold where 1) the incoming flex oil line comes in, and 2) where the outgoing flex oil line leaves. What is the recommended way to stop the leaks? Would a 90 deg elbow help with the excessive bending of the two flex oil lines?

I received your email regarding the shipping cost of the extra coolant pumps and the control cabinet extension cable. I will email you regarding these two items.

Regards,

Titaniumboy

Last edited by Titaniumboy; 02-21-2014 at 06:10 PM. Reason: spelin

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rlockwood View Post
    If you think there's a possibility you may use the connector in the future, wouldn't it seem a good idea to protect it from damage?
    Yes, we have thought about its use. As far as damage, are you referring to damage to the machine or to the parts in work? The "missed steps" monitoring would most certainly make sure the cutting job didn't get out of control and wipe out your vise or nice fixture. The decision not to proceed was more due to cost versus interest. While it adds cost to the development pile, not many want to pay the extra to shovel the pile out the door. "Options" are great, but unless we see a clear desire by many customers, it doesn't make too much sense to spend much time on it.

For example, most of our machines are now AC servo and only a few expressed interest in the stepper versions of the Torus PRO and Pulsar. We may see a trend of customers wanting the stepper Pulsar down the road, but so far, virtually 100% want the servo Pulsar. Overall, a much better performing machine but very expensive components. Steppers are good performers and less expensive, just slower and there is a noticeable difference in sound....and of course, no feed back loop. It is a choice we offer to go servo or stepper since we install all the electronics prior to shipment.

I seem to be getting off the subject, but basically, if we have more demand for steppers and an interest in "step detection" circuitry, we can proceed with this again. Maybe it may be a good time to make a thread to poll the potential interest?

Regards,
    Novakon Team

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry I thought the lines with spring guard were rubber. Sometimes on lube lines they use a rubber hose assembly were there is movement. 4mm or 5/32 nylon tubing in your case. Should be able to just trim the lines off and use some new ferules.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Novakon Team (John?),

Thanks for the details regarding the oiling system. Do the metering valves have a built-in check valve? If yes, that would certainly prevent any siphoning issues once the leaks are fixed.

The two oil leaks are both at the manifold where 1) the incoming flex oil line comes in, and 2) where the outgoing flex oil line leaves. What is the recommended way to stop the leaks? Would a 90 deg elbow help with the excessive bending of the two flex oil lines?

I received your email regarding the shipping cost of the extra coolant pumps and the control cabinet extension cable. I will email you regarding these two items.

Regards,

Titaniumboy
    Yup, today I am operator number 3...John.

The metering valves are spring loaded and exert a small pressure on the internal "ball" that has to be overcome by the pump oil pressure. Therefore, this is how they meter the flow evenly to all points. In reverse, it will check the flow to stop any siphoning back in. A pretty simple device and effective.

The best solution to the ends would be to add the elbows. the thread is 6mm and I should have stock for this too. I will send you an assortment of parts to repair the suspected areas. Inspect the oil line length to make sure there is enough line slack to cut the tube end off and use the new furrels. Sometimes the tube can be a little on the "short" side so I may need to send you tubing also. Please let me know. These are all trivial parts and the repair is easy.

One other point I will bring up. The diagrams and operation of the Torus versus the new Pulsar are functionally very close. Obvious physical differences aside, the electronics and functions are virtually identical. The Pulsar manual is in development by a professional company currently, and a draft copy will be available by the time of the Cabin Fever Expo in April. This manual will greatly assist you in using the Torus on an operational basis. I also believe Leeway has the Torus operation mastered and has used it quite effectively. There are others but they are quiet on the zone, but I am sure they will jump in with some helpful hints. The rest is just mastering Mach3 and coding. Sounds so simple....

Regards,

Operator number 3
    Novakon Team

Downloads
    Uploads

Yup, today I am operator number 3...John.

The metering valves are spring loaded and exert a small pressure on the internal "ball" that has to be overcome by the pump oil pressure. Therefore, this is how they meter the flow evenly to all points. In reverse, it will check the flow to stop any siphoning back in. A pretty simple device and effective.

The best solution to the ends would be to add the elbows. the thread is 6mm and I should have stock for this too. I will send you an assortment of parts to repair the suspected areas. Inspect the oil line length to make sure there is enough line slack to cut the tube end off and use the new furrels. Sometimes the tube can be a little on the "short" side so I may need to send you tubing also. Please let me know. These are all trivial parts and the repair is easy.

One other point I will bring up. The diagrams and operation of the Torus versus the new Pulsar are functionally very close. Obvious physical differences aside, the electronics and functions are virtually identical. The Pulsar manual is in development by a professional company currently, and a draft copy will be available by the time of the Cabin Fever Expo in April. This manual will greatly assist you in using the Torus on an operational basis. I also believe Leeway has the Torus operation mastered and has used it quite effectively. There are others but they are quiet on the zone, but I am sure they will jump in with some helpful hints. The rest is just mastering Mach3 and coding. Sounds so simple....
    The siphoning makes sense now - my leaks were upstream of the metering valves.

It looks like I will have enough slack in both oil lines to effect the repair, especially if you can also send me a couple 6mm elbows.

I'm looking forward to your new Pulsar manual. And LeeWay (and others) have been very helpful.

I haven't dug into Mach3 yet. I have taken community college classes where I've programmed Hurco, Fadal, and Haas vertical machining centers. This experience has really driven home that every machine uses slightly different versions of gcode.

Downloads
    Uploads

The smaller connector on the motor is inert and has no function. The stepper motors we buy have a special Novakon feature machined into the motor end that can mount an encoder. This was looked into in the past for "missed step" detection but never had a clear need for it. Therefor, all of our steppers have the connector for the encoder that was never fully implemented. Strangely enough, it would have cost us more to remove the feature that to continues with it, so now you know why it is still there. We still may use it one day, who knows.

As far as the Weipu connectors, we have plenty of stock of the ones we normally use. Other connector models we can bring in as required. The smaller caps for the motor connectors we now have if you want them also. Our store of connectors is quite complete.
    Interesting backstory on the motor connectors. Our motors have a machine version of an appendix! When you say that the motor connector is "inert", does that mean that no wires are terminated on the connector?

We would be interested in what the cost would be for the smaller motor caps. I might need some additional Weipu connectors, but I can work that out with you offline.

Quote Originally Posted by Novakon
    Quote Originally Posted by rlockwood
    Yes, we have thought about its use. As far as damage, are you referring to damage to the machine or to the parts in work?
    I think rlockwood was referring to protecting the smaller motor connector from damage.

Titaniumboy

Last edited by Titaniumboy; 02-22-2014 at 04:22 PM. Reason: added rlockwood quote

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, we have thought about its use. As far as damage, are you referring to damage to the machine or to the parts in work? The "missed steps" monitoring would most certainly make sure the cutting job didn't get out of control and wipe out your vise or nice fixture. The decision not to proceed was more due to cost versus interest. While it adds cost to the development pile, not many want to pay the extra to shovel the pile out the door. "Options" are great, but unless we see a clear desire by many customers, it doesn't make too much sense to spend much time on it.

For example, most of our machines are now AC servo and only a few expressed interest in the stepper versions of the Torus PRO and Pulsar. We may see a trend of customers wanting the stepper Pulsar down the road, but so far, virtually 100% want the servo Pulsar. Overall, a much better performing machine but very expensive components. Steppers are good performers and less expensive, just slower and there is a noticeable difference in sound....and of course, no feed back loop. It is a choice we offer to go servo or stepper since we install all the electronics prior to shipment.

I seem to be getting off the subject, but basically, if we have more demand for steppers and an interest in "step detection" circuitry, we can proceed with this again. Maybe it may be a good time to make a thread to poll the potential interest?

Regards,
    Novakon Team
    I meant.. It seems likely that the connector you're planning on possibly making use of in the future is wide open to infiltration of coolant and chips, either of which will likely render the connector unusable to current owners if you decide to make use of it in the future..

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast