Just ordered the last melon (Torus) - Page 2

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Just ordered the last melon (Torus)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    There is no aspect of TTS tooling that is remotely unique or patentable, which is why TTS is NOT patented. The ONLY patent Tormach has is a design patent which covers the cosmetic appearance of their set-screw holders. Everything else falls under prior art, having been in common use for decades before Tormach "invented" TTS.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    uh ok, who mentioned patents??? so which of the companies selling these tool holders has been selling them the longest, sells the most variety, does have a patent pertaining to them and has records mentioning their use going back the farthest. stop living in denial it's TORMACH.

Downloads
    Uploads

First, learn how to read. I did not "claim that they are not the originator" I said "Tormach may or may not have 'invented' this system". The fact that you're hyper defensive about this topic is interesting to me. I'll go read the Wikipedia page when I have more time.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in on the leveling casters and TTS/Novakon quickchange tooling.

While I think the 1320 pound rating of the leveling casters that LeeWay used is more than adequate for the 800 pound mill (702 pounds for mill and 100 pounds for the stand), I came across these leveling casters on sale from the same eBay vendor.

Set of 4 Heavy Level Caster with 2 1 2" Nylon Wheel Retractable Leg Top Plate | eBay
    Just ordered the last melon (Torus)-kgrhqj-oqfb-f0dyl1bqnshb1jhg-60_3-jpg

They are rated for 1000 pounds each, and 4000 pounds for a set of four. The wheel diameter is marginally larger at 2.5" as compared to 2", but either will have problems crossing the crack control joints in my garage floor. I've come to the conclusion, though, that there should be no reason I should have to ever move the mill far enough to cross one of these joints.

With the 25% off sale, they will cost $73.46 for a set of four, plus $10.93 shipping. This makes these casters actually a couple of bucks less expensive than the LeeWay casters. The only downside might be that they will put the mill a tad higher at 4.0625" to 4.75" as compared to the other casters at 3.23" to 3.7". I will place an order for these casters this evening unless someone sees a problem that I'm missing...

I'm looking at LeeWays photos of when he had his Torus perched up on the forklift forks so he could install the casters. and wondering how the heck he got the Torus up there?

Titaniumboy

Downloads
    Uploads

It's called the lean method.
    Crowbar get's enough bite to get the forks started. Another guy holds against the weight of the mill while the driver eases the forks under far enough. It really only leaned the mill slightly. I backed up the mill myself and didn't exert hardly any force. The solid base and weight of the mill slides easily on the smooth forks.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Lifting, and even moving, these machines can be done by yourself, perfectly safely, and requires nothing more than a crowbar, and some blocks of wood. Cut some 3/4" plywood into a bunch of 6" x 6" squares. Use a crowbar and a large block of wood to lift one corner of the base just enough to get one piece of plywood under the foot, then repeat for the other corners. Keep going around adding one piece of plywood to each corner in turn until it's high enough. In 10 minutes you can have the whole machine 6" off the ground. To get it down, do the same in reverse. To move it, use the crowbar and a block of wood to slightly raise, and move one corner - it'll move about an inch at a time. I moved my 2600# knee mill over 20 feet, by myself, in not much over an hour.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lifting, and even moving, these machines can be done by yourself, perfectly safely, and requires nothing more than a crowbar, and some blocks of wood. Cut some 3/4" plywood into a bunch of 6" x 6" squares. Use a crowbar and a large block of wood to lift one corner of the base just enough to get one piece of plywood under the foot, then repeat for the other corners. Keep going around adding one piece of plywood to each corner in turn until it's high enough. In 10 minutes you can have the whole machine 6" off the ground. To get it down, do the same in reverse. To move it, use the crowbar and a block of wood to slightly raise, and move one corner - it'll move about an inch at a time. I moved my 2600# knee mill over 20 feet, by myself, in not much over an hour.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    We've used the same principles, with a 12' crowbar & a few pieces of 2" CRS, to place nearly every piece of machinery in the building.. Forklifts rarely fit

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I used these castes under my Emco V13 Austrian lathe. They are really sturdy. I have a smaller set I mounted on the bottom of my NM-145. I welded some 1/4" plate to the base and then ran threads through them. I have a rebuild threa in this forum from last year with photos of it.
    Eric

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by AiR_GuNNeR
    I used these castes under my Emco V13 Austrian lathe. They are really sturdy. I have a smaller set I mounted on the bottom of my NM-145. I welded some 1/4" plate to the base and then ran threads through them. I have a rebuild thread in this forum from last year with photos of it.
    I went searching and found your thread here. Some really outstanding work you did on your mill. Very impressive.

It looks like you used the 2" leveling casters that LeeWay used on your mill. Did you use the 2.5" 1000# rated leveling casters on your lathe?

LeeWay, Ray, rlockwood,

Thanks for all of the great ideas on moving the mill.

I've got an 81" high garage door, and the mill is listed at 80" high. I'm assuming the 80" figure is with the head all the way up. Does anyone know how high the Torus is with the head fully lowered? Will I have to remove the mill from the base in order to reduce the height to get it through the garage door?

It would be nice to leave the mill on the pallet until it is in the garage, but that means at least another 4" of height to deal with.

I'm toying with the idea of renting/buying a pallet jack to help raise the mill so I can install the leveling casters. Good idea, bad idea?

Titaniumboy

Downloads
    Uploads

The Z axis motor is the high point on the Torus. It can be removed and then the control panel would be the high point. You can unattach and lower it temporarily. You would have to tie it off lower.
    It is hinged and has a couple pins on the hinge side that you can pull out. Then it is disconnected.
    That should give you sufficient clearance I would think.
    The mill ships with the head lowered as in this photo.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Titaniumboy View Post
    While I think the 1320 pound rating of the leveling casters that LeeWay used is more than adequate for the 800 pound mill (702 pounds for mill and 100 pounds for the stand), I came across these leveling casters on sale from the same eBay vendor.

Set of 4 Heavy Level Caster with 2 1 2" Nylon Wheel Retractable Leg Top Plate | eBay
    Just ordered the last melon (Torus)-kgrhqj-oqfb-f0dyl1bqnshb1jhg-60_3-jpg

With the 25% off sale, they will cost $73.46 for a set of four, plus $10.93 shipping.
    Just got done ordering these 1000# casters. For some strange reason the eBay vendor was selling four of the individual casters for less than the set of four listed above. Where the set of four casters above totaled $84.39, buying these individually cost $17.21 each ($68.84 for four), plus $9.63 shipping for a total of $78.47. I saved $5.92.

Here is the linky to the individual casters. Leveling Caster with 2 1 2" Nylon Wheel Retractable Leg Top Plate 1000 Cap | eBay

Titaniumboy

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    The Z axis motor is the high point on the Torus. It can be removed and then the control panel would be the high point. You can unattach and lower it temporarily. You would have to tie it off lower.
    It is hinged and has a couple pins on the hinge side that you can pull out. Then it is disconnected.
    That should give you sufficient clearance I would think.
    Lee,

Thanks for the photo.

What is the distance from the base to the top of the Z-axis motor on your Torus? Is it 80" like Novakon lists on their website?

Titaniumboy

p.s. just heard that the Professor from Gilligan's Island passed away at 89. There is no way Russell Johnson could be 89 because that would make me....
    oh crap.

Downloads
    Uploads

I just sat a level on the Z motor and measured to the floor.
    It is sitting 77.5" high off the floor at the highest point, which is the top of the Z motor. Give or take .25".
    It is sitting on the pads and not the wheels. Add in the plate between the casters and base. You should be good to go with it and not need to disassemble anything.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    I just sat a level on the Z motor and measured to the floor.
    It is sitting 77.5" high off the floor at the highest point, which is the top of the Z motor. Give or take .25".
    It is sitting on the pads and not the wheels. Add in the plate between the casters and base. You should be good to go with it and not need to disassemble anything.
    Thank you for taking those measurements. Getting this beast into the shop might actually be possible!

I see that you made your aluminum beam such that the casters are outboard of the stand. Did you do this mainly for ease of attaching the casters, or were you specifically trying to make the stand more stable?

On another note, has anyone tried to use a touchscreen monitor with Mach 3 on a Novakon machine? I found a bunch of reasonably priced used touchscreens on eBay. Here is one example of a 19" infra-red touchscreen for $106 delivered. No Stand BK Sems 19" Multi Touchscreen 2 Touch LCD Monitor Windows XP 7 and 8 | eBay

Just ordered the last melon (Torus)-_57-jpg

Titaniumboy

Downloads
    Uploads

Unless you either make your own screenset, or get a HUGE monitor, Mach3 is unusable with a touchscreen - far too many tiny little controls.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

On another note, has anyone tried to use a touchscreen monitor with Mach 3 on a Novakon machine? I found a bunch of reasonably priced used touchscreens on eBay. Here is one example of a 19" infra-red touchscreen for $106 delivered. No Stand BK Sems 19" Multi Touchscreen 2 Touch LCD Monitor Windows XP 7 and 8 | eBay

Just ordered the last melon (Torus)-_57-jpg

Titaniumboy

thanks for the link, may have to grab one of those too. you don't have to make your own screenset, there are some available for download that will work with the touchscreen like the one at the bottom called Touch Screen by Hood. Screensets - Newfangled Solutions Gerry's Auqa Screenset will also work. Also the 3 Axis Simple Screen.

Unless you either make your own screenset, or get a HUGE monitor, Mach3 is unusable with a touchscreen - far too many tiny little controls.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    try looking on youtube, plenty of people using regular mach 3 screen with NOT huge touchscreen monitors.

Last edited by waltpermenter; 01-17-2014 at 05:24 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I tried a touch screen long ago and didn't really care for it. It was a smaller CRT type though. If you have at least a 19" wide flat screen, it would probably work better.
    Making your own or using one of the existing screens should help with the small stuff.
    There is a lot of stuff on the Mach screens that I never touch. Then some that are used all the time.
    I did make my own mill screen for my small mill and a plasma screen. Those came out good, but not really good enough for touch.
    You really want square buttons or large buttons with a touch screen. The accuracy of the screen is also important.

I would not do it again unless I needed a monitor and ran across a deal like you have.

"I see that you made your aluminum beam such that the casters are outboard of the stand. Did you do this mainly for ease of attaching the casters, or were you specifically trying to make the stand more stable?"

It was just the ease of use really, but the bonus was better stability when moving it around. What I did was just use the original leveling pads that came with the Torus to mount the plate to the bottom with. It was all pretty logical and dead simple.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

has anyone tried to use a touchscreen monitor with Mach 3 on a Novakon machine?
    I have Mach3 with a touchscreen but my machine is a Bridgeport BOSS conversion. I LOVE the touch screen! Although as Ray mentions, I made custom screens. Yes, there are also touch screen screensets available on Mach3's website and even 'aftermarket' sets from other vendors that are not free. You may also find that making your own screens makes Mach3 much easier to use. If you make your own screens, it isn't too difficult, but it takes a lot of time.

I did use the stock Mach3 screens with the touch screen at first. It wasn't too bad actually - even with my 15" monitor. Also, with a 19" monitor, you can expand the image to fill the entire screen and it will be even more manageable.

I really wanted to eliminate the mouse and keyboard completely on my machine. But I found that every once-in-a-while, I need them.

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900 - 1944)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by HawkJET View Post
    I have Mach3 with a touchscreen but my machine is a Bridgeport BOSS conversion. I LOVE the touch screen! Although as Ray mentions, I made custom screens. Yes, there are also touch screen screensets available on Mach3's website and even 'aftermarket' sets from other vendors that are not free. You may also find that making your own screens makes Mach3 much easier to use. If you make your own screens, it isn't too difficult, but it takes a lot of time.

I did use the stock Mach3 screens with the touch screen at first. It wasn't too bad actually - even with my 15" monitor. Also, with a 19" monitor, you can expand the image to fill the entire screen and it will be even more manageable.
    HawkJET,

Thanks for the reply. I ended up getting the eBay touchscreen that I posted about a month ago. This touchscreen is encased in a very heavy-duty metal frame. There was some slight debris - particles really - behind the outer screen. I was able to disassemble the touchscreen in order to give it a nice cleanup.

------------------

In other news, my Torus was supposed to be delivered at the end of January. At least partially because of the nasty weather that Toronto has seen this winter, the mill didn't actually ship until last Monday, February 10. The freight company contacted me last last week and the mill is scheduled for delivery tomorrow (Wednesday).

I'm getting really excited about finally seeing the mill after all placing the order in mid-December. I wish I was completely ready for the delivery, but I fear that the shop cleanup hasn't gone exactly according to schedule.

Pictures to follow tomorrow!

Titaniumboy

Downloads
    Uploads

I ended up getting the eBay touchscreen that I posted about a month ago.
    Thanks for posting that! I got one too! Well... I got a 17" not the 19". If you hadn't posted it, I wouldn't have known about it.

It has 65% more area than the monitor I'm now using. I plan to make new screens for MACH3 and have everything I do on two screens instead of six. I hope to make it so I will rarely change screens.

Thanks for posting your question about the monitor - because of you, I now have A LOT of work to do on some new screens!

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900 - 1944)

Downloads
    Uploads

Post some screen shots of the new screens when you get them done. I always like looking at Mach screen shots. Sometimes it helps me see how other actually use Mach 3 and what is important to them. Maybe there is a better way than I am currently doing.

Looking Forward to seeing some candid Torus poses as well.

Lee

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast