Torus Pro As A "Production" Machine - Page 2

Page 2 of 73 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast

Thread: Torus Pro As A "Production" Machine

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for posting this thread very informative and lots to think about.
    Forrey.

Downloads
    Uploads

While driving around I found a guy who parked his semi-trailer in a parking lot by a fast food restaurant who said he'd give me 50¢ per pound for aluminum chips. I asked him whether coolant or the possibility of small amounts of other metal mixed in mattered and he said it didn't.

Before I actually take my few gallons of chips over I think I'll call every recycling center in town to see if anyone can offer something better.

Downloads
    Uploads

Those guys usually have things that shred cans and collect the steel, drop any heavy debris like glass, rocks and water and blow the aluminum into the truck. Whatever is collected is then deducted from the initial weight and weight is adjusted for #2 or #3 aluminum. Usually discounted quite a bit for chips.
    That keeps people from loading up cans with garbage and getting paid for it.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

The spindle on this machine is really a thing of beauty. My old machine is a 9x49 knee mill that claims to have a 3HP spindle. Based on performance, I'd guess its really more like half that. The Torus Pro will do things, without even straining that would stall the old machine. This AM I drilled 12 5/8" holes through 2" thick 6061, and did out in one shot, no pecking. Easy as pie.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Another good day today - Made a few more parts for my ignition kits. These are part of the bracket that mounts the VR pickup to the timing cover, so it lines up with the crank-mounted trigger wheel:

I went a bit more aggressive as well - 0.3" DOC, with the same 20 IPM feedrate. The machine handled it with no problem whatsoever.

Two 1-1/4" x 2-1/2" x 19" blanks mounted on fixture:

Torus Pro As A "Production" Machine-img_20130420_110924_697-jpg

Bottom side machining complete:

Torus Pro As A "Production" Machine-img_20130420_124036_752-jpg

Turned over, ready for top side machining:

Torus Pro As A "Production" Machine-img_20130420_131359_992-jpg

And the finished parts:

Torus Pro As A "Production" Machine-img_20130420_165159_200-jpg Torus Pro As A "Production" Machine-img_20130420_164934_698-jpg Torus Pro As A "Production" Machine-img_20130420_164921_559-jpg

The machine was a mess afterwards:

Torus Pro As A "Production" Machine-img_20130420_165320_338-jpg

And this is why I don't do videos - I'd end up taking a shower, and getting the whole shop wet, plus losing a lot of coolant.

Torus Pro As A "Production" Machine-img_20130420_123528_291-jpg

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice. Great looking parts there.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

I've learned it really pays to stop about once an hour, and spend a few minutes clearing the chips off the bellows and the table, and pushing as much as possible down the drain. This keeps the accumulation from getting quite so out of control, and makes cleanup at the end of the day much easier. And, since this machine will quite reliably crank out 3-4 gallons of chips PER HOUR when doing a lot of heavy roughing, I need to stop about that often to empty the chip bucket anyway.

The 3" drain is still inadequate - it can be quite difficult to shove the large clumps of chips down it, especially when they contain either longer "strings" from drilling, or the nice "aluminum wool" created by face milling and deep peripheral finishing. What I'd like to do is just cut a couple of large, rectangular holes - probably about 6" x 12" - on either side of the base, and have them dump into two large rectangular plastic boxes, similar to my coolant reservoir.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    I've learned it really pays to stop about once an hour, and spend a few minutes clearing the chips off the bellows and the table, and pushing as much as possible down the drain. This keeps the accumulation from getting quite so out of control, and makes cleanup at the end of the day much easier. And, since this machine will quite reliably crank out 3-4 gallons of chips PER HOUR when doing a lot of heavy roughing, I need to stop about that often to empty the chip bucket anyway.

The 3" drain is still inadequate - it can be quite difficult to shove the large clumps of chips down it, especially when they contain either longer "strings" from drilling, or the nice "aluminum wool" created by face milling and deep peripheral finishing. What I'd like to do is just cut a couple of large, rectangular holes - probably about 6" x 12" - on either side of the base, and have them dump into two large rectangular plastic boxes, similar to my coolant reservoir.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    +1. That's why I replaced the original with two 4" drains. Probably should have went 5-6" now that I think about it. The Pro is definetetly good at making gallons of chips.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am just LOVING this machine! It has been 100% reliable, to the point I have no problem walking away and leaving it running unattended whenever I need to. I've cranked out a TON of parts over the last week, and it has not so much as hiccuped once, and the parts are coming out just beautiful, and right on dimension. The consistency is just wonderful.

My next problem is figuring out how to get rid of the mountain of chips I'm creating....

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Make a screw chip conveyor. Rather simple screw something like this or simpler.
    Google Image Result for http://www.uniimag.com/images/products/Screw%2520conveyors%2520.png

Last edited by neilw20; 04-24-2013 at 02:27 AM. Reason: better link
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. THREE ways to fix things: The RIGHT way, the OTHER way, and maybe YOUR way, which is possibly a FASTER WRONG WAY!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by neilw20 View Post
    Make a screw chip conveyor. Rather simple screw something like this or simpler.
    Google Image Result for http://www.uniimag.com/images/products/Screw%2520conveyors%2520.png
    I doubt Ray could put his new toy down long enough to do that.

Downloads
    Uploads

He'll be OK. I'm sure he works night too.

Downloads
    Uploads

I go to a metal recyclers. If I keep my 6061 chips separate, I get $0.60 a pound.

I get more for larger chunks, something like almost $0.95/lb.

Wade

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wwendorf View Post
    I go to a metal recyclers. If I keep my 6061 chips separate, I get $0.60 a pound.

Wade
    I wish I could get that kind of money for them. The only recycler in this area that will take chips at all only gives us ten cents per pound.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Dang, that sucks! My recycler even gives me a nice calendar with a bikini girl on it to hang in my shop every year. <GRIN>

Wade

Downloads
    Uploads

Ray, You need a better recycler. He's giving you mixed scrap prices. He's scared there might be other stuff in the chips. Probably been caught before.

Downloads
    Uploads

That's true, but I still get $0.25/lb for mixed. The guy is really cheaping you out.

Wade

Downloads
    Uploads

Wade
    i PAY only about $2ish a pound for new 6061 stock. for chips, unless you have vast amounts, you have to pay to get rid of them. for large chunks, youre lucky if you get 50 cents.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm in the upper midwest, our aluminum stock cost is about $2.50-$3.25 / lb. I've never had to pay to get rid of chips.

Wade

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm in the upper midwest, our aluminum stock cost is about $2.50-$3.25 / lb. I've never had to pay to get rid of chips.

Wade
    yeah, i suppose its all dependent where you are. we have 2 of north americas biggest extruding plants here in the city, along with a few small ones. noones interested in chips or paying much for scrap from small shops.

Page 2 of 73 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast