Emco VMC100 Rebuild .. I need help..! - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emco VMC100 Rebuild .. I need help..!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Emco VMC100 Rebuild .. I need help..!

Thanks steryd,
    I think that my PC Mach3 has lost it's machine data (Length of axis, pulse/distance etc)
    My next step was to test the steppers with external Pulse/Direction, they have a good 45v supply.
    I purchased the machine recently as a "none runner - Axis" I think that the original reason for the failure was loss of machine data, which will have stopped mach3 referencing and therefore the axes working, but since then the previous owner has waded in with many PCB changes, linking out the axes supply 10A fuse etc, etc.
    Regards, Dai.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not completely sure, but mach has it's data written on hard drive of pc, so it shouldn't get lost unless You remove program.
    If You have any other stepper motor andcontroller it would be best to check if Your BOB works properly.
    There is also a possibility of power supply control. There is bunch of relays in the back for auxilary systems, and it may be used for it, cause normally it wasn't controlled by any safety circuit, only by data controller. You also need to check the logical and stepper motor voltages.
    I can check it in my machine on monday.

Btw can You check the way of spindle speed control in Your machine? (Where is control voltage connected)

Downloads
    Uploads

I have 45 volts on the stepper controls, all the correct interlocking is OK, the power contactor comes in when I reset Mach3.
    Sorry I'm off visiting for two weeks so will not be able to make the checks you ask for untill my return.
    Dai.

Downloads
    Uploads

45V is the drive power, there should be also voltage for logic of stepper controllers and some kind of enable signal. I assume that You have a problem with signals, caus it would be extremely odd for all the drivers to die at the same time.

I'm not in hurry If i won't figure it by myself i would be gratefull for help whenever it's possible.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You also need to check the logical and stepper motor voltages.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Toolchange sequence

I’m most grateful for your replies, unfortunately the VMC100 has been on the “back burner” for some time now, while I build a workshop to house it; and two CNC Boxford lathes, amongst the rest of my machines.
    Once the workshop is up, I’ll be back on the job.
    Regards, Dai.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

How much did you pay for an old VMC 100 with a defective controller, if you don't mind me asking ?

Downloads
    Uploads

I have used an injection device to inject X axis step signals and the axis worked fine, so further work required, but the workshop's not finished yet.
    Regards, Dai.

Downloads
    Uploads

Greetings,
    Just curious… Did you ever do anything with your five face stepper motor driver? I own an old VMC 100 and would love to swap out the electronics and get it up and running. I just recently stumbled across this thread.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Kind regards, Geoman24

Quote Originally Posted by Markus53 View Post
    Hi guys,

i all ready have made a prototype 5 phase driver that can do max 1.8 Amp and have almost completed the design of a one that can go up to 3 Amps.

If enouth people want one, then maybe i could make some kind of build-it-yourself kit.

I have been thinking about making a Emco to Mach3 converter kit cause replacing those wonderfull 5 phase motors (2 phase does not even come close) is really a shame.

are there more folks out there you want 5 Phase driver cards ?

Greezt,

Markus

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    my first mini-mill used 5 Phase Vexta steppers and I paired them with Vexta drivers.

The drivers are 230VAC input, ie no power supply required, 1.4A per phase output either full or half stepping, that is 500 or 1000 pulses/rev.
    They are brilliant. They derive their own DC from the AC input, about 150VDC, so my steppers really sing, I ran them for years at 2400rpm for rapid traverses, without
    ever losing steps.

Vexta do another drive, 2.8 A per phase and 115VAC input. Could be of value to you. They won't be cheap.

You might also ask 'why such low currents?'. With 5 phase motors four phases are energised at all times so at 1.4A per phase is actually delivering 5.6A at any given time
    and a 2.8A/phase is delivering 11.2A at any given time. If these were two phase drivers they would be specified as 2.8A and 5.6A drives respectively.

I ended up with four of the 1.4A drives but only used three. The remaining drive has never been used, I bought it as new-old stock....and could be for sale if you want it.
    I will retain the other three to go with my Vexta steppers and integrated 10:1 low lash planetaries, at least until I decide whether I will reuse them in another project.
    My new mill has 750W Delta B2 series servos.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Geoman24 View Post
    Greetings,
    Just curious… Did you ever do anything with your five face stepper motor driver? I own an old VMC 100 and would love to swap out the electronics and get it up and running. I just recently stumbled across this thread.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Kind regards, Geoman24
    Hi Geoman24,

Have not been on this site for years and this new version seems to hate me. Having difficulties logging in and answering.

Anyway, yes i did something with the cards, I ordered a small batch of PCB's and a quantity of drivers chips, and with the help of a guy from the Dutch cnc forum who made the offical firmware I sold them as kits.
    You could buy the PCB and the driver chips, the rest you had to purchase yourself.

Guys like you that wanted to reboot their EMCO's with the original Berger Lahr motors bought them

I still have some PCB's and drivers chips

Been meaning to make a new version with a 32bit processor and maybe a more current, but lack the motivation, but i'm willing to help anybody that wants to know hows its done

The VEXTA drivers will also work you have to wire your motors a little different to use them, but VEXTA often uses only 24 volts motor voltage and that give less performance than higher motor voltages like 40 volts.

Greezt,

Markus

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

but VEXTA often uses only 24 volts motor voltage and that give less performance than higher motor voltages like 40 volts.
    That may be true of the little ones......but not mine! They are 150VDC or more....they bite if you poke your finger in there and the steppers fly. I've regularly run them at 3000rpm,
    although I found 2400 rpm more consistent an less prone to overheating.

Craig

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Emco VMC100 Rebuild .. I need help..!-vextadriver1-jpg   Emco VMC100 Rebuild .. I need help..!-vextadriver2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

But also U can use the original Berger-Lahr drivers if they are ok (and they probably are). Control boards are out of control anymore so U can remove them and IO boards and most of the stuff (probably the multi voltage supply, but i didn't check it)
    Under the keyboard there is acces for mainboards . upper one is not interesting- its for I/O . Lower one where wires from steppers going is the one that U can use. There is a separate voltage supply for steppers and it works just when U turn on the power.
    next to the soldiered wires there are two rows of pins soldiered from the stepper controller (for each axis ofcourse) two on the top are step and dir. and GND U can use anywhere. I used it for moving with MACH3 while I was still not sure what I will be doing next.

Unfortunately I don't have electronics from VMC anymore (i just have few SM drives that I was repairing for someone else), but I can guide U through if U would have some questions. Probably would need some pictures from Ur machine.
    I Just did not find out how to control original spindle drive but i replaced it, Maybe someone else would help with that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by steryd View Post
    But also U can use the original Berger-Lahr drivers if they are ok (and they probably are). Control boards are out of control anymore so U can remove them and IO boards and most of the stuff (probably the multi voltage supply, but i didn't check it)
    Very true ! stupid of me to forget, I once helped a guy do that by building a complete mach3 controlbox for a mill with Berger Lahr Motors and Berger Lahr D550 driver cards. To make it neat and easy I made breakout board for the D550 driver cards.

Emco VMC100 Rebuild .. I need help..!-berger_lahr_breakout_01-jpgEmco VMC100 Rebuild .. I need help..!-berger_lahr_breakout_02-jpg

If anybody wants the PCB files so that they can order these D550 breakout boards from some chinese PCB maker I will send you the EAGLE files needed for that (no charge, gratis, for free)

Yes okay, I admit i'm a Berger Lahr fanboy, I also have spare D550 drivers and different types of Berger Lahr Motors

Greezt,

Markus

Downloads
    Uploads

I 've just soldiered wires to TM02 mainboard and it worked as well

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Markus53 View Post
    Hi Geoman24,

Have not been on this site for years and this new version seems to hate me. Having difficulties logging in and answering.

Anyway, yes i did something with the cards, I ordered a small batch of PCB's and a quantity of drivers chips, and with the help of a guy from the Dutch cnc forum who made the offical firmware I sold them as kits.
    You could buy the PCB and the driver chips, the rest you had to purchase yourself.

Guys like you that wanted to reboot their EMCO's with the original Berger Lahr motors bought them

I still have some PCB's and drivers chips

Been meaning to make a new version with a 32bit processor and maybe a more current, but lack the motivation, but i'm willing to help anybody that wants to know hows its done

The VEXTA drivers will also work you have to wire your motors a little different to use them, but VEXTA often uses only 24 volts motor voltage and that give less performance than higher motor voltages like 40 volts.

Greezt,

Markus
    Hi Markus,
    I have also a VMC 100 that I'm trying to convert to linux cnc but keeping the original Berger Lahr stepper motors.
    If I understand correctly the original drivers takes step and direction?
    Your driver boards are they available in some form today, kit, PCBs or other?
    Your drivers do they do half step, micro stepping, what current can they deliver and what is maximum supply voltage?

Best Regards
    Patrick

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12