Need help troubleshooting chinese CNC located in Orange County, NY

Thread: Need help troubleshooting chinese CNC located in Orange County, NY

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need help troubleshooting chinese CNC located in Orange County, NY

Is there anyone out there near Orange County, NY that can troubleshoot CNC machines? I am a Technology teacher and we have a Chinese CNC we purchased that needs some work to get running. A coworker of mine (Pplug on here) tragically passed away, who was the man behind building and troubleshooting our CNC's. We are looking for someone that we can pay to come to our location and troubleshoot this machine. I can give more specifics as to where we are with it if anyone responds. I am very close to having it fully operational but lack the knowledge on the last few details. I have done a lot of research on here and tried things but just don't know as much as I need to about it. Thank you

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need help troubleshooting chinese CNC located in Orange County, NY

I'm not near but it might help if you give more technical details including drivers, control brand and model (or program), your issues specifically, and pictures.

You really haven't given anyone anything to work with yet.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

Downloads
    Uploads

rbudd22,

Sorry to hear about the passing of your friend. I hate that for you.

What problems are you having? Is it component level or software?

I'm located in Georgia but if it's a component level issue, we repair things like that all the time.

We fix it all! Give us a call at 855-437-3497.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey guys, I work with rbudd22 and also worked with pplug before he passed. The machine is in my shop at the high school and here is the information I have.

Breakout board is a parallel port board c10. No motion control, direct to PC. We varied the debounce range from 1000-8000 because we could not successfully run the program more than two times in a row without the phantom limit switch. We then tried to isolate which limit switch that was creating the signal by turning off the pins in Mach3. However, it was sporadic on which one triggered it. The program runs when all of the limit switches are taken off (we have just found out that it is still skipping steps though). I also grounded all of the shielding from the input wires to try and eliminate any rogue signal from that.

We tested all of the motors and grounds for the machine which have continuity. We tried ceramic capacitors as per a suggestion which did not solve the issues. The CAP's are now removed. We are still experiencing a "limit switch triggered" almost half way through the program. We detached the proximity sensors from the machine and tried to run the program to see if vibrations were causing the limit switches to be triggered, it was not the case. The "limit switch triggered" message came up again during the process.

Machine is a Chinese KL-1212V with NEMA motors that we replaced. Purchased through Automation Technologies. We are debating about swapping the VFD out with a machine that already works.

Please let us know if you have any ideas.

Downloads
    Uploads

It sounds like a grounding issue. You mention you're running a spindle with a VFD. Is the shield on the spindle wires grounded (one end only) to the same star ground as everything else? Is all that connected to a ground stake or the water plumbing? Spindles are known to throw off a lot of RFI when running; and the grounded shield is necessary to keep it from generating erroneous signals. You might try running it without the spindle on to see if limit switch errors are still triggered.

If nothing else works, deactivate the limit switches; Mach3 lets you set "soft limits" which do much the same thing. The skipped steps is probably another issue, but let's deal with one thing at a time...

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Awerby, thank you for the response. All of the shielding is grounded to the same spot. We have run the program without the spindle on and that has allowed the program to run its full course. When I turn off the limit switches the program will fully run as well.

The skipped steps issue is why our colleague who passed away installed bigger NEMA motors. Like you said though, we can get to that issue after this one.

Downloads
    Uploads

If the machine completes the program without glitches when the spindle's turned off, but faults when it's on, that indicates the sort of RFI I was talking about, emanating from the spindle leads. Do you have a braided metal shield over them? Is it grounded on one end?

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, there is a metal shielding and we have grounded it. Some people are saying that the VFD could be the issue since they are noisy. We have grounded the shielding, the machine, and the control box.

Downloads
    Uploads

This should solve it.
    Get an old big PC ups second hand.
    It will do true galvanic isolation, and nothing will pass it.

The batteries will be shot, but you dont care.
    Its an easy fix, simple to do.

Chasing the RFI may/will cost more and take longer.

If you are in the USA, you probably dont have noise filters on the VFD.
    Iirc noise filters are mandatory in EU, and optional in the USA.
    They also might fix it.

If chinese, the VFD ground may not be properly connected (many reports of this).
    Someone skilled in electronics can fit it in 10 mins.
    It also might take the noise out.

If you can borrow a UPS, its easy to test.
    For a 2.2 kW spindle you might even be able to test with a smaller UPS.
    Depends on inrush current.
    A 3 kW UPS is what you want, but they are heavy.

Downloads
    Uploads

Some Chinese spindles are not grounded inside the spindle either.
    My want to check and verify that.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I know this thread is from quite a while ago, but in case somebody else is having similar problems, this webpage will most likely have your answer. Or at least get you going in the right direction. https://www.cnccookbook.com/cnc-elec...erence-filter/