First CNC guitar project - Making a guitar from a video game (and flipping it lefty!)

Thread: First CNC guitar project - Making a guitar from a video game (and flipping it lefty!)

Question First CNC guitar project - Making a guitar from a video game (and flipping it lefty!)

Greetings,

I have access to a CNC machine, and I'm a left handed beginner guitar player. After playing Cyberpunk 2077 a few times, I'd really like to take a shot at building a replica of the "DeLuze Orphean", an in-game guitar that looks like this:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lxXbkO

I'm not looking for an exact, exact replica, but something close would be nice. Since this is a first project for me (and I'd like to make something nicely playable / relatively easy to setup), my rough idea of this project is this:

1 - Source a slab of alder wood to cut the design into
    2 - Find a finished lefty neck (rosewood / black finish preferred) with a similar headstock (Ibanez?)
    3 - Find a g code file for a guitar body that is close, flip it for a lefty, then modify the design with the cutout below the bridge- side note: how will I know what necks fit?
    4 - Find the unique tuners online - I believe I found a Reddit post with a link to them
    4 - Paint the body, bolt everything together
    5 - Profit??

I guess I'm looking for feedback on the feasibility of making this mostly bolt-together (while still being nice to play), besides painting the body. Other than a CNC, I don't have access to a lot of woodworking tools, just some basic hand tools. I am fairly comfortable doing a setup, other than not knowing how those tuners will work.

If you have any suggestions for parts, designs, etc, let me know!

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First CNC guitar project - Making a guitar from a video game (and flipping it lefty!)-lea-leonowicz-deluze-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: First CNC guitar project - Making a guitar from a video game (and flipping it lef

Hey bright-lights,
    Cool guitar, the bridge tuner setup is interesting. Dont take any of my comments to heart
    Playing an instrument that you built yourself is really satisfying
    I have designed built several over the years

BUT! Reality check time for this type of work.
    CNC work is all about feeding the beast accurate data to produce a desired outcome (not always guaranteed as s#@t happens)
    I dont know your background or skill set, but you are going to need to have the ability to produce or source usable and accurate 3d cad files for the neck and the body to machine from.
    Without this you are building it with hand tools.

So I guess Im saying start with sorting out a tick list for yourself
    Can I source all the guitar hardware needed for accurate measurment of parts for my cad file?
    Can I design or source cad work of suitable quality and accuracy to produce this guitar, and in a format that the CNC I have access to can use?
    Is the CNC I have access to up to the job?
    Do I have all the correct sized tooling required to machine the parts
    How much cash and time am I going to need to invest in this for an unknown outcome vs cost to just to buy of the shelf.

I say have a go if your up for it, but give yourself the best chance of a successful outcome by ticking all the boxes.

Gully

Striving for medeocrity..and achieving high scores!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: First CNC guitar project - Making a guitar from a video game (and flipping it lef

If you need any CAD info,have you looked at Grabcad? There are all sorts of parts on the site and some may be of use.

Downloads
    Uploads

Go for it. Make some test runs with cheap pine blanks. (I HATE MDF). For my electrics I use a single bolt for the neck. Visit the websites of the pickup mfg and you can get dimensions there. Stewmac has a wealth of knowledge for design and supplies. There just a few design considerations like the neck angle working with the body pocket. Nothing too bad. But do it. And use cheap wood to test first. I have been in luthiery 16 years now. With every project I learn something new. Good luck and keep us all posted with your project.