What is the preferred oil/lacquer to use on a guitar neck finish?

Thread: What is the preferred oil/lacquer to use on a guitar neck finish?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default What is the preferred oil/lacquer to use on a guitar neck finish?

My Ibanez S470 needs a fresh finish on the neck. However I can't decide what product I should use. I see some uses tung oil and others uses teak oil. All I want is a smooth and clear finish. I'd like to ask your recommendations.

I also wonder what Ibanez or other brands uses for the job.

Best,
    Suat

Similar Threads:
    Suat
    Proud father, C# developer, Model heli pilot, newbie free time machinist for hobby

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What is the preferred oil/lacquer to use on a guitar neck finish?

That hard, thick shiny finish is likely to be lacquer, polyurethane, or spar varnish, applied in multiple layers and rubbed out between coats. Oil finishes (like linseed, tung, etc.) are thinner and less shiny. But they are a lot easier to apply and repair.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Rustoleum Clear Laquer from Home Depot, thick and slow,
    or Water thin and fast laquers from Luthiers supply shops.

Check the guitar forums for much confusing varied advice from everyone.

Been doing this too long

Downloads
    Uploads

Believe me guitar forums are terribly confusing. I think Minwax poliurethane wipe-on clear satin worth to try.

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk

Suat
    Proud father, C# developer, Model heli pilot, newbie free time machinist for hobby

Downloads
    Uploads

I really like Birchwood-Casey Tru-oil.

Downloads
    Uploads

Guitar forums are confusing because they have many guessing but only some have done .I sprayed my guitars in Cellulose lacquer and also urethane not unlike factory ,I found them to be a bit sticky so I use a auto polish on the neck and it made all the difference .

Downloads
    Uploads

I tried minwax clear satin finish on the neck. The result is very good.

Here's the whole project.

Suat

Downloads
    Uploads

I cut the inlay and the pocket on my CNC router. Inlay material is aluminum and the veneer is walnut.

Suat

Downloads
    Uploads

I just spray the same lacquer as the rest of the guitar, then use 0000 steel wool to remove the shine, which makes is "play" faster.

surfclimbfly

Tung oil is what I've always used. Every guitar player that picks them up always comment on how good they feel. Just wipe on, let it dry for a 12 hours, them a light rub with some 600 wet and dry to remove dust that may have dried in it. Repeat 2 or 3 more times. Allow to dry and harden for 48 hrs them a light rub with 2000 steel wool. DONE!

Trust me mate. The feel of that neck is gonna be the closest you and I are gonna ever get to Liz Hurley's inner thigh!

If it ever starts looking a bit crappy, unbolt it, give it a light sand with 600 wet and dry again and repeat process above.

Downloads
    Uploads

I use either Nitrocellulose lacquer or French polish with Shellac. The acoustic I built last year is entirely French polish and is holding up great.

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

My "pros" (myself included) prefer a hand rubbed matte finish on the neck with >220 grit sanding. Anything shiny can be sticky.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here's the whole project.
    Did you cut neck and body on cnc router ? Just confused, you have guitar template but you cut the inlay and the pocket on CNC router.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    Did you cut neck and body on cnc router ? Just confused, you have guitar template but you cut the inlay and the pocket on CNC router.
    I missed this one. No, I didn't do the neck. Just the body.

Suat