Aluminum Guitar

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum Guitar

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Aluminum Guitar

here's a shot of my first crack.

Making them for a customer, First order was for one, then 3 next one for Five

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aluminum Guitar-finished-jpg  
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

Downloads
    Uploads

How cool is that

Keith

Downloads
    Uploads

A couple more pics.

Thanks Kipper.

Finished off with a Carvin neck, EMG pickups(A la Zakk Wylde) and a Hipshot Bridge, and Special Gotoh Tuners for some reason imported from Japan.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aluminum Guitar-dsc01116-jpg   Aluminum Guitar-dsc01117-jpg  
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Now can you do that with an SG-style body? I need a unique body for an EB0 (SG bodied 4-string Bass). That is really unspeakably hip.

Would there be any technical reason you could not have a decent performing neck and headstock made that way too? Probably need a heavier truss rod, but is there a technical reason you couldn't have it play well?

If you could make an all-Aluminum Bass with a carbon composite fingerboard it would be just, pardon the pun, "totally metal"....

PM me if you can do more of this kind of work - I can't hog out that much metal on my equipment!

Downloads
    Uploads

I was wondering how nice one would look anodised! (Just had to take another look)

Keith

Downloads
    Uploads

I believe that anodizing will bring out the grain structure in the material so it would get duller. Clear powder coat may keeps its lustere.

I've done lots of cosmetic ally stuff, and seen them after the customer specified clear anodize, and it still looks nice, but not as nice as straight off the machine when they were turned with a diamond tool.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by big_mak View Post
    I believe that anodizing will bring out the grain structure in the material so it would get duller. Clear powder coat may keeps its lustere.

I've done lots of cosmetic ally stuff, and seen them after the customer specified clear anodize, and it still looks nice, but not as nice as straight off the machine when they were turned with a diamond tool.
    Correctly. done anodizing will maintain the luster. Actually with some alloys you can polish to a mirror finish and maintain the gloss through anodizing.

The picture is not very good quality but you can see the reflective highlights on the as-machined part and similar highlights on the black anodized part. This was simply washed after machining then anodized.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aluminum Guitar-anodize-jpg  
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Downloads
    Uploads

I hear you Geoff, its a matter of the guys locally being able to do it right.

There's a customer of mine, who's gone to a local guy here. The whole run of parts was from the same bar, and there were so many diferences from part to part, that the anodiser was trying to tell this guy, that the parts were cut from different bars.

Some times they are good, and some times they aren't. What can you do with guys like this. Poor Guy was send lots of four parts to his customers, and had to sort through the lot, and match them up the best he could.

Maybe what I saw spent too much time in the etching process??????

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I like it! What a great idea!

Suzuki

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My question is- How heavy is that guitar? I know when I play for awhile my guitar gets HEAVY. I couldn't imagine playing a gig with that.

Jason

Everytime you think you made something idiot-proof, they keep making new and approved idiots.

Downloads
    Uploads

puts a whole new meaning to playing metal
    nice work !

hope to start my warlock soon

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by js11110 View Post
    My question is- How heavy is that guitar? I know when I play for awhile my guitar gets HEAVY. I couldn't imagine playing a gig with that.

Jason
    From what I understand the bodies on even large aluminum Basses only start at about 30 oz. if you machine them to around .125". Especially leaving any extra metal in there for internal ribbing that is way sturdy enough to knock down a brick wall and still lighter than most wood bodies.
    I can't imagine playing one someone didin't hollow out though!

I found a source for aluminum necks, too. Apparently there are a number of manufacturers of them, they have quite a following. They too are pretty light as they are hollowed out under the fingerboards to varying degrees. They don't need a truss rod, either.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Last edited by ynneb; 05-13-2007 at 09:04 AM.

Community Moderator
    Downloads
    Uploads

Holy ****!!! That was a really cool guitar!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hi there
    I'm looking for 3d models of electric guitar bodies.
    Can anyone help me out pleeeaaasssseee?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default nice body thought you might like to see

Hi just saw the body absolutely fantastic!!:rainfro: thought you might like to see this can anybody guess who made it?Aluminum Guitar-lynn-jpg i picked this guitar up a few years ago.

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice, Any chance you can attach a few sound samples? Maybe one from each pickup undistorted and the same overdriven.

The Al will have a phenominally high "Q" factor as compared to wood and I would love to see if that comes through the pickups.

Bet you didn't have to do much with sheilding the electronics cavities.

I once read (back in the early 70's) about someone making a les paul body out of marble. In addition to be a heavy sob it was reported to have incredible sustain.

If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

Downloads
    Uploads

Mar,

Was it from KRamer?

Vid's with sound are here. http://www.liquidmetalguitars.com/vids.htm

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default nope not kramer ill take one more guess

sorry incorrect ERRRRRRR goes the buzzer one more guess if not the right answer ill reveal it next post.

Downloads
    Uploads

Jackson?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast