Downloads
    Uploads

hola alguien me puede apren derme a usar el artcam

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Albertocnc View Post
    hola alguien me puede apren derme a usar el artcam

hola, tendrá que corresponden a Inglés Translated by Google!

No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Last edited by turmite; 07-01-2008 at 05:23 PM.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

MS says:
    "Even though I don't agree with you about Rhino, if it makes you happy I love it. "
    Mike, I already told Magnus (Goocart) this and it goes for you too.

turmite said:
    "a couple hundred in trade for you Mastercam"
    Way overpriced. I'll give it away.

Downloads
    Uploads

wow!

What a lively discussion on which program to use to model. I think it is getting a bit off topic, since we must NOT forget the gracious nature GooCart who spent time to design this model, and then give it away!

So GooCart: Thank you for your work!

Now, has anyone bothered to take some measurements of this model? I am a solidworks user, and a guitar builder, and after taking some measurements, a couple of things seemed "off" when compared with the Stew-Mac Plans of a '59 les paul.

-The peghead for example: The plans have it at 3.05 wide (at the top) the model is at 2.89

-The peghead length: Plans have it at 6.875, the model at 6.67

-The body: The "bottom" of the body, seems to be 1.8 thick, where clearly the plans call for 1.75

It could be because I imported the model, and then changed from Metric to Standard, but the conversion errors (if any) should had been closer....

Just wondering if anyone else noticed this when comparing to the plans. on other measurements, the model is spot on (for example, the angle of the Neck-tenon, the depth of the pocket, etc). Just seems a bit inconsistent.

Oh, and no argument on which program is better, even though Solidworks Rocks!

(just kiddin....)

Last edited by CyborgCNC; 07-01-2008 at 09:04 AM.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Magnus,

Wow, busted on the dims. Cyborgcnc knows Guitar modeling.

Spiro,

I agree Solidworks rocks! Your Guitar design videos rock too!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Cyborg.

I used a Microscribe digitizer to model the neck from my 1953 origninal Les Paul GT, thats why it doesn't look like the stew mac drawing. The thicknes is also measured from the GT. The profil curve for the body is from a 2d drawing made by Peter "Max" Baranet. The rest is from the -59 stew mac.

Rhino Rules:rainfro:

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GooCart View Post
    Hi Cyborg.

I used a Microscribe digitizer to model the neck from my 1953 origninal Les Paul GT, thats why it doesn't look like the stew mac drawing. The thicknes is also measured from the GT. The profil curve for the body is from a 2d drawing made by Peter "Max" Baranet. The rest is from the -59 stew mac.

Rhino Rules:rainfro:
    That Guitar sounds like a bastard. LOL. I still like the file.

Rhino's okay!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, it's a bastard.
    I wanted to model a really good player and since I never played the 59 in the stew mac drawing (obviously) I chose to model the neck of the 53 GT. Peter Max Baranet is a well know luthier who has built many fine LP replicas, that's why I chose his drawing.

The carved top is digitized from a 1981 LP Heritage, my 1970 LP deluxe and the sections from the stew mac drawing. There is one area on a carved LP top that is quite delicate, and that's where the fingerboard intersect with the top. That area seem to differ from burst to burst but my intention was to "copy" the characteristics of this one.
    http://entertainment.webshots.com/al...McgRCG?start=0

I'm not the one to tell if I've made it, I've never seen the actual guitar live, but based on my renderings, I feel that it's pretty close.

But, then again. It's not an exact replica, and I suggest that you double and triple check it before you go carve your 50 years old piece of maple.

Maybe I should mention that I know absolutely nothing about guitar making. I'm just addicted to vintage Les Pauls, that's why I modeled it, and I have a good friend who actually is a very good luthier who has a cnc machine.

Last edited by GooCart; 07-01-2008 at 08:15 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ah OK, that makes sense now. That is what I was wondering: I went through the Stew-Mac plans, and some measurements were spot on, while others were off, so I was wondering why that would be.

Your explanation makes perfect sense now, as you sort of "blended" the design together. One thing I would recommend, is to stick to the thickness of the body. Very easy to modify your design, so that the bottom is 1.75' thick (as yours is a little thicker).

Again, thanks for your work, and sharing this model with the community here, very generous of you.

I will soon post some pics of my recently completed '59 les paul from the stewmac plans. All done in solidworks, and machined with Mastercam X2 mr1.

Last edited by CyborgCNC; 07-01-2008 at 09:04 AM.
    ------------------
    https://cncguitar.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

CyborgCNC,

Do your videos discuss how to design archtop type guitars? If not, any plans to produce one? And thanks GooCart for the plans also. Very nice indeed!

Greg

Downloads
    Uploads

My videos are focused on solid body electrics, and also show how to "carve" solid bodies.

You would need to extend the techniques I show, to design archtops, which methods are probably extensions on doing a Les-Paul type model.

I DO NOT show a les-paul model in my videos, but I have a model which I designed, which I make available to people who purchase the videos (which can be used to see the design process/steps so that you can design any top you want).

------------------

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Carved les paul top for dummies, the tutorial.

A very simple method to get a smooth and clean carved top is by using the patch tool in Rhino.

Here is what to do.

pic#1.
    Draw your contour and interior curves.
    Model the flat surface for the intersection between the fingerboard and the top.
    Make sure that the curves have g2 or higher continuity with the flat surface.

Pic#2.
    Open the Patch tool.
    Select all curves and the interior edges of the flat surface.
    Press preview. Experiment with the settings in the dialog box until you get an even distribution of isocurves. When you're happy with it, press ok.

Pic#3.
    There you go.

Untrim the patch surface, extrude the contour curves of the body through the patch surface, cut the extrude with the patch surface and cut the patch surface with the extrude. Join the parts to a polysurface.

There you are.

Well, actually you aren't quite there yet, but it's a start.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails les paul solid body-pic-1-jpg   les paul solid body-pic-2-jpg   les paul solid body-pic-3-jpg  

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Spiro (cyborgcnc),

Magnus (Goocart) seems to feel that Rhino is the only way to achieve the carve top surfaces because, "it allows him to create surfaces HIS way, not the software's way." Do you agree with that?

Downloads
    Uploads

That is certainly one way to do it...

Or, do it in just TWO steps in Solidworks, no Experimenting with settings required, AND you can IMPORT the PLANS from stewmac, and use them as a GUIDE :-) ...

1- Draw the contour curves, as you describe (by tracing out the plans,which you imported as a picture)
    2- Create a surface, and use these contour curves as guide curves....

DONE!

SW takes care of the rest!

:-)

------------------

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Spiro,

Thanks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm sorry if I made the impression that I think that Rhino is the only way to achieve the carve top surface. Which I off course don't think.

My contribution was "Carved les paul top for dummies, the tutorial." For Rhino. Nothing else.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Last edited by turmite; 07-01-2008 at 05:22 PM. Reason: I offended the originator!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This thread is so ****ing off topic.

I posted the file because this guy asked for a non specific file format LP solid body.

Dam it, is this some kind of sandbox? Lets exchange files and ideas instead of this rhino vs solidworks bull****.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GooCart View Post
    This thread is so ****ing off topic.

I posted the file because this guy asked for a non specific file format LP solid body.

Dam it, is this some kind of sandbox? Lets exchange files and ideas instead of this rhino vs solidworks bull****.

Magnus,

I agree with you. Let's talk about Guitars.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast