les paul solid body - Page 3

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: les paul solid body

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Kammo1,

No can do with the Acad conversion. I suggest you get a more modern, 3D, solids friendly, software program. Or at least one that can read IGES files.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ger21 did what you said with the file Magnus sent me and voila it opened and was able to see the design. I still cannot see the top of the carved section on it as its not on the drawing but again its great to know with guys like you and help from this forum that the not so knowledgable guys like myself are learning which is a great boost for me,many thanks guys and would like to see the finished product if any guys have this file and have cut it out on their machines. I am still in the planning stage of my machine and hopefully will get it going soon I hope CHEERS guys for all your help.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've seen something strange in my 3d file.
    According to stew-mac, the fret scale from 54 to 59 is 24.75 inches/628,65 millimeters. But when I measured my -53 the distance from nut to the last fret is about 3 mm to short compared to the stew mac drawing.

So I don't realy know whats wrong here. I posted a question in the "mylespaul" forum about the fret scale and here's the response.

"Gibson literature of the time referred to the scale length as 24 3/4" but in reality it never was but was shorter as you've discovered. It's quite hard to find out what the old Gibson scale length actually was since the fret positions vary so much. Unlike Fender, who had a device to cut all the fret slots simultaneously, Gibson cut them one at at time, and from a not very accurate scale. I've measured dozens of 50's Gibson fingerboards and not found any two exactly the same, and not one with the frets in the mathmatically correct position, so I would reccommend that you just go with the scale length from your 53 guitar unless you want to get bogged down with it."

It's not a big issue for me to extend the neck to fit the 24.75 scale but as the neck is modeled in the 3d file it just doesn't fit

btw, theres no use use sending me pm's and asking for aditional file formats. By some reason I cant post ziped files.

Last edited by GooCart; 06-25-2008 at 08:52 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, I'm stupid
    If I had looked at the stew mac 2d drawing instead of the fret calculator on their web site, I would have noticed that the guitar on the 2d drawing has a 24.562" scale. Nothing else. That scale works fine for the rhino file.

Posting a new pic of the 59 rendered in Cinema 4d.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails les paul solid body-unburst_2-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice model but, when converting some patch models to polygons "yes I know how". it always looks funky with bad intersects open holes ect..

I think anyone building 3D guitars today should think in terms of solid modeling "water tight" and shy away from the Rhino like building style in the future..

LG

Last edited by LiquidGuitars; 06-28-2008 at 05:06 PM.
    keep on trucking!
    www.liquidguitars.com

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up You got it!

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidGuitars View Post
    Nice model but, when converting some patch models to polygons "yes I know how". it always looks funky bad intersects open holes ect..

I think anyone building 3D guitars today should think in terms of solid modeling "water tight" and shy away from the Rhino like building style in the future..

LG
    Wow! I couldn't agree more! Bravo!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My model is water tight. I do this for a living, every day.

Polygons. Why?

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GooCart View Post
    My model is water tight. I do this for a living, every day.

Polygons. Why?
    No it is not. Post a Parasolid of the Guitar body then.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The file is just as water proof as any parasolid or step or whater file format you wish.

I can't post zipped files, otherwise I would post your parasolid.

But now when I know that theres no reason posting Rhino files here, I just say thank you and goodbye.

Magnus

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidGuitars View Post

LG
    If you can model it in Rhino for 1/5 the price of a Solid Modeler, then what's the point? You can get perfectly good results modeling in Rhino, or even a polygon modeler if you know what you're doing. And Rhino's not going away any time soon, so I don't see any reason for people to "shy away from Rhino" in the future. And I don't even use Rhino.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you can model it in Rhino for 1/5 the price of a Solid Modeler, then what's the point?
    I could care less about what software one uses. Just seems sad that all his work produces a leeky model
    that will not tesssalate well, has open faces that will not weld together.

So my point is modeling in soilds could be the way to go for anyone getting on the 3D modeling wagon train.

regarding why one need polys, quads are the backbone
    of soild modeling.

LG

Last edited by LiquidGuitars; 06-28-2008 at 03:46 PM.
    keep on trucking!
    www.liquidguitars.com

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

GooCart,

You can't post Zip files but you CAN email me the Parasolid file here: michaels123@msn.com. I will post the Zip file. Problem solved.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well shut my mouth. Look like a perfect Solid to me.

I guess the problem arises when you go IGES out of Rhino and try to convert those surfaces into a solid.

I think the ACAD thing took us all off target.

Well done Magnus. Now we are ALL communicating. :rainfro:

Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

thats good! can you post the file in a STL format for us..

LG

keep on trucking!
    www.liquidguitars.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

LG, have you tried to tesselate rhino files to stl?

I would realy like to hear your opinion whats wrong with the polys you get from a correct rhino polysurface.

We have a Stratasys 3d printer in our office and I can tell you that we have never had any issues with neither rhino polys or Solidworks dito.

Magnus

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Magnus,

I like your work! YEA!

The translation is not soild on my end I can see through the objects jointing seams in places. What is the best quad / polygon format for this model or is this normal for this style of 3D construction?

keep on trucking!
    www.liquidguitars.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I can't post zipped files so I can't help you. I'm sure somebody here at the forum is able to export the file to a correct stl for you.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default is a patch to quad issue.

I can't see how a STL could change that but i will give it a try.

Thanks,

LG

Last edited by LiquidGuitars; 06-28-2008 at 06:34 PM.
    keep on trucking!
    www.liquidguitars.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. In Rhino, "patch" is a specific tool that creates a single surface based on a contour curve and some inner, height controling curves or points. There cant be any naked edges in a patch, just because it is a single surface, without any joints.
    But you're mayby talking about something else?
    Sometime when I import Iges or Step into Rhino and I try to join them to a polysurface, there can be som naked edges or bad trimmed surfaces, but that can occur even if the file is modeled in a high end program like Catia or midrange like SolidWorks/SolidEdge. In Sweden we have a word for it: **** in, **** out. It's not the software, it's all in the hands of the user.

Edit. Ok. I see you pic. What software did you use to tesselate this and what setting did you use?

Magnus

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here's what a tesselation in rhino looks like with a 0.01 mm tolerance.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails les paul solid body-tesselation_0-01mm-jpg  

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast