New Build: MI59 Double Cut

Thread: New Build: MI59 Double Cut

Default New Build: MI59 Double Cut

I recently built an electric guitar based on a build your own guitar article in a 1959 issue of Mechanix Illustrated. Taking that a step forward, I'm going to be building a double cut version out of cypress from an old demolished home.

Concept drawing...

Cypress....

Stay tuned...gonna use my new DIY CNC machine as much a possible on this build.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Build: MI59 Double Cut-cypress-jpg   New Build: MI59 Double Cut-doublecutdrawing-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New Build: MI59 Double Cut

That's a sweet design!
    What software are you using for the 3D sketch?
    The neck machining always troubled me. Surface drawing and such.
    I'm on Mastercam x5 and still stumbling on how to design and machine surfaces other than flat!
    Good luck. Keep us posted.
    Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I neglected to post any pics after the initial post. I spend most of my time on this forum in the DIY CNC router table forum. Here's some pics of the finished guitar. I'll also post some pics of the new one I'm working on.

The guitar turned out to be a tribute guitar to a fallen sailor. The old cypress was from his aunts old home and was provided by his father. I incorporated elements of his life into the guitar as he loved the Navy and riding Harleys. My aim was to make a tribute guitar, but not go over the top with it. I did engravings in 1/8" 6061 aluminum for the neck, and control plates. I also did a separate engraving for the guitar hanger and that was a tribute to his motorcycle club. His parents aren't guitar players, so it'll hang there on the wall at least till one of his son's shows an interest in guitars.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Build: MI59 Double Cut-dsc_0050_00008-jpg   New Build: MI59 Double Cut-dsc_0054_00012-jpg   New Build: MI59 Double Cut-dsc_0056_00014-jpg   New Build: MI59 Double Cut-dsc_0042_00001-jpg  

New Build: MI59 Double Cut-20170923_113359-jpg  

My newest build in progress...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Build: MI59 Double Cut-20171202_171421-jpg   New Build: MI59 Double Cut-20180217_150829-jpg  

I've been cutting out and engraving a few parts for the new guitar on my CNC machine...neck plate and pickup rings. Eventually I'll cut out and engrave the control plate and jack plate too. I'll apply aluminum black to all the part and sand it back on the surface which will leave all the engraved lines black.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Build: MI59 Double Cut-20180304_153721-jpg   New Build: MI59 Double Cut-20180306_154310-jpg   New Build: MI59 Double Cut-20180301_081919-jpg  

Newly fabricated control plate for my guitar build. Used the CNC to cut out and engrave the part.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Build: MI59 Double Cut-20180311_123108-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice. What’s the material and the thickness?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Material is 6061 aluminum 1/8" thick. For engraving I used a 1/8" shank 30 degree vbit. Feed was 8ipm and plunge rate 3ipm. I did two passes at 0.008" depth per pass for a total DOC of 0.016". I cut the part out using a 1/8" single flute spiral upcut bit. Feed, plunge rate, and dept per pass were identical to above. Blackening of the engraved lines was done with Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black. I used a cotton swab to dab on the Aluminum Black on the top of the part. Once it was sufficiently black, I rinsed the part, dried it, then sanded off the top layer of black with 400 grit sand paper. That left black in the engraved lines. I then cleaned the part in the ultrasonic cleaner, dried and sprayed a coat of clear over the part.
    Quote Originally Posted by robwiacek View Post
    Very nice. What’s the material and the thickness?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well...here she is nearly finished. I just have some tweaking and setup to do.

Some details...

25" scale length...21 frets,
    Medium Jumbo frets,
    GFS Pro Series Alnico II classic style humbuckers
    Open back Waverly style tuners
    Custom cut and engraved 6061 aluminum control plate, pickup rings, and neck plate
    Two piece Maple backed body with two piece flame maple top,
    Maple snake head style neck

New Build: MI59 Double Cut-20180316_071828-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Build: MI59 Double Cut-20180316_071828-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice one, the thing I like with the humbuckers is the options you have if you want to change them.

Thanks!! I agree about humbuckers! You can put in other style humbuckers, or even humbucker sized P90's.