Looking for Mandolin g code or dxf

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Mandolin g code or dxf

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Looking for Mandolin g code or dxf

I just compleated my CNC and am looking for g code or dxf file for an f5 mandolin top and back. Does anyone know where I could get these files or know a good software program to make them. I have QuickCAD 8 but am not skilled enough to do 3d.

thanks

Matt Redican
    mredican@quik.com

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm looking for the same thing basically........I'll keep you in mind if I run across anything. BTW, what type design is your CNC machine?? I'm getting ready to get my build going. I have some ideas, but I'm real interested in what 'doesn't' work.

Thanks,

Curtis

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would sure be interested too! I have a ShopBot PRT48, AutoCad, Artcam Insignia, and RhinoCad (haven't used it much though). I started an F5 and have the rim made up and the top carved (all by hand) and was thinking of trying to digitize the top plate and go ahead and make the back plate and digitize it. But I'm still trying to visualize how to setup the plates to hold them and be able to machine the blanks afterward. I know Dudenbostel uses the same setup but haven't seem enough pix to figure his out.
    pharrell@engr.uga.edu

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Have you seen any close up details of the Rigel mandos? I know they machine the back and sides out of a solid billet and then make the top plate separately and fit it in a recess. They say you can string up a Rigel and play it without even attaching the top. It's supposed to be really easy to fine tune the top plate that way. I'd like to play one. They are supposed to sound great. I like the more traditional F5 look though.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have plans for a f4 and and I might de able to help with dxf

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i've had good luck modeling mandolin soundboards in rhino with ccycloid. i do not have a cnc router, but i generate a table of drillpoints/depths and would be glad to help.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've got RhinoCad but have just dabbled with it. I'm not familiar with ccycloid. Is it a plugin for Rhino? When I get back on the mando, I'm just going to use a digitizer probe that came with my ShopBot to get a profile for roughing the plates. I'd like to eventually get the ShopBot set up to do the headstock veneer with peg holes and binding/inlay slots the way Dudenbostel does them. Anybody else here doing that sort of thing? - Pat

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No. ccycloid is a free program written by Steve Mann at U. of Waterloo in canada http://www.cgl.uwaterloo.ca/~smann/ccycloid/

It generates cycloid curves based on soundboard width and height-of-arch. (Think of a button with a pencil through one of the holes...roll the button on its edge, the curve traced by the pencil is a cycloid.) Rhino you import that into Rhino to make the surface. What I then do is intersect the model with planes at 1/16" intervals to generate a nice set of contours. Makes the soundboard graduation easy.

Jerry

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Does anyone know how to get the program to output in dxf?
    Everytime I attempt it nothing shows up on the screen after it is imported into autocad. Also when it creates a pdf, the file size is 11kb, and when it writes a dxf the file size is 1kb.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had the same problem with dxf output, but got around it by generating ccycloid's output in csv, then importing the points into Rhinocerus.

Jerry

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jerry,

I spent the last few days talking wth Steve Mann, the dxf output on cycloid has been fixed. It inadvertantly wrote an empty file. I have a copy of the corrected file at work. I'll post it if you still interested.

Did anyone ever get around to posting a set of f4 mando plans in dxf?

If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default ccycloid

hey thanks! i would love a copy of the corrected version.

heres a couple pics of my latest mando in progress:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default ccycloid

Here it is. It uses the same dll's and other support files as the older version. So just drop it into the same folder as the old one and it should work fine (did for me).

Stephen hs also set the new version as the default download on his site http://www.cgl.uwaterloo.ca/~smann/ccycloid/ . I was using it pretty extensively yesterday to generate the crossarchings for a cello based on Yoyo Ma's Strad "Davidov" Cello. It worked great. Got the back all lofted and it looks real good. Now all I need to do is cut a test piece.

Are you using pins tp hold the linings in place? Never saw that before, but it looks like it would work great. I use the spring clothpins. It looks great, you did a great job on the scroll on the upper bout. Nice piece of maple for the back.

Can I get a copy of your mando plans in dxf when you get the chance? Thanks.

Attached Files Attached Files
    If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

thanks!

yes, i am using straightpins. mandolin linings are cut at a 45° angle, so there is no flat to clamp. the pins do a great job and a lifetime supply cost $2. i could modify clothespins to do the job, but its easier to just poke pins in it. as far as the scroll, thats why they call it a "scrollsaw" seriously, i print my drawing of the mahogany blocks, rubber cement it to the 1 3/8" mahogany, and saw 'em out in 10 minutes. no magic to it. keep the printed line centered in the blade and you cant miss. the corner blocks really need to be cut to a pencil line after you bend the rim.

i'll be glad to share my plans, such as they are. i'll try to compile all my lots of individual drawings into one layout soon. i'd love a look at a cello plan. where do you find spruce and maple that large?

jerry

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jerry,

There are several sources for spruce big enough for cellos. Metropolitan Music is my fav. I think they have the best prices of more of the common outlets. You might want to look at them for viola blanks which should be larg ehough for a mando. They are at http://www.metmusic.com/ There is also internatinal violin Co at http://www.internationalviolin.com/home.aspx. They have wood blanks all the way up to double bass size. I also have a marine plywood outlet about 20 miles from my house that stocks large pieces of verticle grain sitka spruce for making masts. They may be only 10 inches wide, but they run up to 2 inches thich and 14 feet long is pretty common.

What are you running for a cad system. My regular cad is rhino. If you can handle a rhino file then the back plate of one of the cellos is finished (well, no purfling groves yet, but the arching is complete). The front plate will be a while yet.

Steven

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Sitka Spruce Source

sdantonio

Not to steal the thread, but I would be interested in the source that you mentioned that has verticle grain large boards of Sitka Spruce. Website, phone #, contact name would be great.

I am interested in making a piece of furniture with the material.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

http://www.boulterplywood.com/ This is my source for large sitka pieces, They do ship. In my case their about a 40 minute drive from home

Steven

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default G- code for F5 Mandolin

I noticed several post where people were asking about G - code for an F5 Mandolin. Did anyone ever find anything they would be willing to share?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sdantonio View Post
    I was using it pretty extensively yesterday to generate the crossarchings for a cello based on Yoyo Ma's Strad "Davidov" Cello. It worked great. Got the back all lofted and it looks real good. Now all I need to do is cut a test piece.
    I'm curious how you used these lines for a loft. Can you tell me 1) what CAD program you are using, and 2) what steps you took to do the loft (i.e. how many arches, how did you arrange them, did you link them with a perimeter curve, etc.)

Thanks,

Downloads
    Uploads

Is this what your looking for (dxf)?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for Mandolin g code or dxf-1-jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Free DXF - vectorink.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast