Looking for HSK63F Drawbar Gauge

Thread: Looking for HSK63F Drawbar Gauge

Default Looking for HSK63F Drawbar Gauge

Hi all

My drawbar is making a 'click' when opening and closing the chuck on my ATC MG series machine. I'd like to check drawbar force. I'm wondering if there is someone on the forums that has a gauge that might be open to letting me rent it from them?

Thank you.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Parkgrr View Post
    Hi all

My drawbar is making a 'click' when opening and closing the chuck on my ATC MG series machine. I'd like to check drawbar force. I'm wondering if there is someone on the forums that has a gauge that might be open to letting me rent it from them?

Thank you.
    Remove the fingers, check the retaining spring. Clean the spindle bore and lightly grease with graphite grease the pivot point as per OEM instructions.

I think the fingers are sticking, the power can be much reduced if dirty. Also, check the stroke, there is a distance from the spindle face to the hsk body in clamp and unclamp states. Release centre grub screw and rotate to adjust the length, then pinch the grub screw again.

Until this is done, power measurement is pointless.
    I've had dirty hsk drawbars reduce from 27Kn to 18Kn just by being dirty. (Also making clicking noises because they stick before releasing). By the way, if wrongly adjusted or sticking, the tool may get jammed in the spindle, so be careful.

Default Re: Looking for HSK63F Drawbar Gauge

I really appreciate this direction.

So I'm a big dumb idiot. I had a tool fall out of the chuck today during quite an aggressive program. After the failure I looked at that lower nut and found that it was loose by about 3 turns. Ugh. After tightening that nut the click went away. Pretty low stakes situation luckily but the event scored the very bottom of the cone slightly. I need to get this spindle serviced anyway, and I'm not terribly concerned about the health of my current tool holders, so my plan is to smooth out the scored area, do the cleaning as you've described and continue working for the time being. Don't crucify me!

I realize I am woefully undereducated. I had never read that section you described in detail. Thank you for the help. 2 Qs.
    1. I was timid about doing any teardown/maintenance of the chuck because I was worried I would increase or decrease the tool-holder gripping pressure. Can I safely do the procedure you've described/that is described in the manual without the risk of reducing/increasing the *set* drawbar pressure?
    2. Would you be open to a quick phone call? I'm in the middle of delivering a big project and have freaked myself out a bit with this failure, would be interested to talk through the procedure if even briefly for 5-10 mins.

Thank you again

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for HSK63F Drawbar Gauge-img_0898-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking for HSK63F Drawbar Gauge

i really think servtech can help you / good luck

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

So I'm a big dumb idiot. I had a tool fall out of the chuck today during quite an aggressive program. After the failure I looked at that lower nut and found that it was loose by about 3 turns. Ugh. After tightening that nut the click went away. Pretty low stakes situation luckily but the event scored the very bottom of the cone slightly. I need to get this spindle serviced anyway, and I'm not terribly concerned about the health of my current tool holders, so my plan is to smooth out the scored area, do the cleaning as you've described and continue working for the time being. Don't crucify me!

I realize I am woefully undereducated. I had never read that section you described in detail. Thank you for the help. 2 Qs.
    1. I was timid about doing any teardown/maintenance of the chuck because I was worried I would increase or decrease the tool-holder gripping pressure. Can I safely do the procedure you've described/that is described in the manual without the risk of reducing/increasing the *set* drawbar pressure?
    2. Would you be open to a quick phone call? I'm in the middle of delivering a big project and have freaked myself out a bit with this failure, would be interested to talk through the procedure if even briefly for 5-10 mins.

Thank you again
    You'll be fine.

Use a spanner / wrench on the two body flats to hold it firm, then use a hex T wrench to tighten the clamp screw in the middle of the body. Don't go too mad because you will want to release it in the future:-)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you again
    Btw. The drawbar set pressure cannot be adjusted as such because it is applied by a coil spring.