Need Help! Multicam 44 Plus

Thread: Multicam 44 Plus

Default Multicam 44 Plus

Hello
    I recently acquired a 44 Plus that was retired and need to locate a User Manual for the machine along with the HMI 20 Pendant.

Also, since its a 3 phase machine, can it be run on a Rotary Convertor "safely" due to possible electrical noise generated from the convertor or would a VFD be a cleaner source? There is an existing VFD for spindle speeds and wonder if they may buck each other? Also I know a "static comvertor" is another option but not sure for the application either.

Would truly appreciate any input or suggestions on these topics.

Thank you!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Multicam 44 Plus

Under no condition can you use a VFD as a 3 phase source, they are designed to run motors only. There are solid state 3 phase converters that are designed as a 3 phase source. https://www.phasetechnologies.com/pr.../phase-perfect

A static converter is also designed to run a motor only, and can not be used as a 3 phase source.

The MultiCam will run fine on a rotary phase converter. As far as I can tell, a rotary phase converter does not generate any electrical noise. I have a customer that is running 2 MultiCam machines on a rotary phase converter. I have been running my CNC lathe on one for the last 4 years with no problems.

Also I have seen some MultiCam machines that can be connected as single or 3 phase. On one that I saw, there was a connection diagram in the cabinet showing both single and 3 phase connections. As far as I know, the only part of the MultiCam controls that requires 3 phase is the spindle VFD, the rest of the hardware is single phase, so you could just replace the VFD with a properly rated single phase input VFD and connect the machine as single phase.

Since you are missing the pendant anyway, why not just toss the MultiCam controls, and do controls upgrade? Most likely less cost than the pendant and would be a more flexible machine in the long run, and more compatible with modern CAD/CAM software, as well as having available support. Mach3, Mach4, Dynomotion, or Centroid Acorn would be good choices, all are compatible with your motors and drives.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

I've run a MT22 off a RPC without any issues. I recently converted it to single phase. Basically all I did was remove L2 on the VFD and move L3 to L2. Obviously, the rest of the machine is single phase already. The VFD is oversized a bit so I doubt I'll have any real derating issuing. So far it has been working great. My MT44 is very similar so I suspect it could be converted similarly. You should get the schematic for your machine from Multicam.

Without the pendant it may be time to swap out the control unless you can source one. I've been looking at the Masso CNC controller as an upgrade for both the MT22 and MT44 when the controllers eventually die. I used a Dynamotion on a Shopbot control swap a few years ago and I liked the flexibility of the platform.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm running a Masso G2 on a plasma table I built and it works well. When my 2 spindle MC Pro controller dies I plan on a Masso G3, the G3 supports multiple heads.

hi.
    i have multicam 44plus its made in 1996
    the floppy disk is missing any one have the disk i want to reset the controller
    my controller is empty any one can helping me i will pay for the disk
    best regards

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

A1tech,
    it looks like we are having the same issue and not getting good support from Multicam services.
    any one here in this forum can help me and a1tech to find or those files packages to run our machine to normal.

thanks.