Need Help! Dust Boot

Thread: Dust Boot

Default Dust Boot

Hey folks,
    I'm wrapping up a conversion to UCCNC on an MG 103. I'm integrating all existing sensors and air solenoids into the new control system and am having some trouble understanding how to actuate the dust boot down. I never operated the dust boot for the short time that I had the machine running on it's original M24 board, so I'm not sure how this is supposed to go.

From what I can tell the air line that pulls the dust boot up is an 'always on' line, and the only line that is connected to a solenoid is the line that pushes the boot down. I have good control of that solenoid and can power it on or off, however being that it's pushed against by the always-on 'up' line when I turn on the 'down' line I can only manually push the boot down by hand a few inches before it is stopped by the opposing air line again.

I can't figure this one out. Is the always on 'up' line supposed to be weaker than the solenoid controlled 'down' line? So to pull dust boot up or down it's a matter of just turning the 'down' solenoid on or off? I included a couple of pictures in case mine looks different than yours.

I appreciate any hints. Thank you

Also bonus question does anyone have any idea what may have been mounted to this Z plate in the past? obviously it's ready to receive another spindle or drill or something but just curious to know what may have once been mounted there.