Backlash compensation parameter?

Thread: Backlash compensation parameter?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Backlash compensation parameter?

I just rebuilt my Y-axis with a new shaft, bearings, and pinion gear. My Y-axis backlash is now minimal and my circles are round again. Because the backlash was so bad previously I want to clear any stored backlash compensation values and re-calibrate. I've look through my parameter list but I'm just not finding it. Does Multicam support backlash compensation? If so, where is it set?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Backlash compensation parameter?

I reached out to my local vendor this morning. This is the answer. Now I need to figure out how to tune the accel/decel.

There is no backlash compensation, all we can do is adjust accel/decel

Those are params 502/xaxis and 512/yaxis

Downloads
    Uploads

The real question is: Does it need to be adjusted? Is the machine running OK? If so, I would say nothing needs to be done.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

The machine is running fine. The pinion was rotating on the shaft due to roll pin wear. After remaking the shaft and replacing the pinion the backlash is limited to the minimum required. I haven't put a lot of time on the machine since I swapped out the parts yesterday. I did about 120 16mm holes today. They definitely looked a LOT more round but in gauging them there is some variation.

Last edited by forhire; 10-14-2020 at 07:39 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi all- A general question about backlash compensation in the controller. Does it compensate along the whole path? or does it just apply it at ends of paths? Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi all- A general question about backlash compensation in the controller. Does it compensate along the whole path? or does it just apply it at ends of paths? Peter
    It compensates for the backlash on the change of direction by adding the backlash amount. It's normally set as a parameter on the machine tool. I'm a bit surprised Multicam doesn't support the feature. It's possible they handle it some other way.

Because my backlash was so high, I really just wanted to make sure nobody had set crazy values previously.

Now that I have the mechanical backlash under control I can begin exploring my options. It's possible some of my variation today was a result of the material.

Downloads
    Uploads

There isn't any compensation for backlash because you can only turn out so much, eventually there is no number you could put in the controller to comp out.

On a Multicam machine you more then likely still have a mechanical issue in either:

Gear box
    Drive Gear

If my be as simple as you aren't engaged completely into the rack...or the rack needs replacement