Older MT-22 Help needed

Thread: Older MT-22 Help needed

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Older MT-22 Help needed

Hello, I have an older MT-22 with the following. (see pics). 1st off, I am not sure if my spindle is wired for 220 or 380 nor do I know how to tell. Also, It seems to have the original older stepper motors and original control box which ran on windows 95. What can I do to upgrade this to more current pc based control software and new motors. If I can still use the spindle, I would love to. However, I only have 220 single phase in my shop. Any help/direction would be much appreciated, as I would love to bring this machine current. Thank you!!!

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Older MT-22 Help needed-1006201130-jpg   Older MT-22 Help needed-1006201129a-jpg   Older MT-22 Help needed-1006201122a-jpg   Older MT-22 Help needed-1006201121-jpg  

Older MT-22 Help needed-1005201912-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Older MT-22 Help needed

I have various older MC machines, one still running with win98. The MT 22's are a stout little machine, especially the ones with the heavy welded base. I recently built a CNC plasma table and used a MASSO stand alone GCode controller, it only needs a key board and a monitor, NO PC. So far I'm very satisfied with the Masso, excellent support and it boots super fast. You should be able to use almost all of the MC drive components and control the spindle with the Masso. But more than likely most of the original MC drivers and motors are no longer available. But there are many replacement options out there. The spindle is 3 phase, I would guess 220V, not being able to check, your VFD is more than likely 3 phase in and 3 phase out, but with the spindle being just 2HP you can easily source a VFD that is single phase in and 3 phase out, allowing you to run the machine on single phase 220V.

Downloads
    Uploads

From the pictures it seems that the spindle motor is 220V only, and the VFD is a 240V VFD (200V class, normally good for 180V to 240V)

From the manual for the VFD, it is rated to run on 240V single phase input, use L1 (R) and L2 (S) terminals.

You can hang any control that you want on the machine.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks...what about updating the x,y,and z motors to servo type. Would that be needed or can I get away with using the original working motors that are pictured above. I was worried that if i bought new servo type motors, that they would not fit the original bolt hole pattern, etc. What are your thoughts? Thanks again! -Matt

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NSchlee View Post
    I have various older MC machines, one still running with win98. The MT 22's are a stout little machine, especially the ones with the heavy welded base. I recently built a CNC plasma table and used a MASSO stand alone GCode controller, it only needs a key board and a monitor, NO PC. So far I'm very satisfied with the Masso, excellent support and it boots super fast. You should be able to use almost all of the MC drive components and control the spindle with the Masso. But more than likely most of the original MC drivers and motors are no longer available. But there are many replacement options out there. The spindle is 3 phase, I would guess 220V, not being able to check, your VFD is more than likely 3 phase in and 3 phase out, but with the spindle being just 2HP you can easily source a VFD that is single phase in and 3 phase out, allowing you to run the machine on single phase 220V.

Downloads
    Uploads

MC normally used standard NEMA 34 frame motors, 86mm mount flange with 1/2 inch shaft. Servo motors with a NEMA 34 frame are readily available. My prefered vendor for servos is DMM Technologies. DMM | AC SERVO DRIVE | AC SERVO MOTOR | ROTARY ENCODER Relatively inexpensive, well documented, and great tech support.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA