Multicam MG Series 304 - conversion to run with Mach3?

Thread: Multicam MG Series 304 - conversion to run with Mach3?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Multicam MG Series 304 - conversion to run with Mach3?

I just picked up a used Multicam MG Series 304. It's old and runs but the software / controllers are seriously outdated and only runs on XP. I'm looking to possibly swap everything out and run it with Mach3, but the problem I'm having is that I can't find the specs on the motors (torque and oz-in) so that I can cross them to another brand.

The 2 motors that move the gantry are:
    Superior Electric
    SLO-SYN stepping motors
    Type KML092F-102.

That's all the info I have and can't find the specs anywhere online. Apparently they are no longer manufactured. I have attached a photo.

Has anyone done a conversion with such a large, old beast?

Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Multicam MG Series 304 - conversion to run with Mach3?-img_20190604_083550-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Multicam MG Series 304 - conversion to run with Mach3?

Pull a motor off and compare the mounting dimensions to a standard NEMA 34 stepper. A 750W servo motor would replace those. On the other hand, if the existing motors and drives are working, you can replace the controller and leave the motors.

Rather than Mach3, take a look at Centroid products. The Centroid Acorn would be a perfect fit. As far as motor replacement ClearPath or DMM Tech servos would be my choice for replacements. I have used both with good results. For maximum performance the DMM Tech servos would be the better choice and are a bit less cost than the ClearPath. But the ClearPath is a bit easier to install with less parts.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Im currently retrofitting my MG 304, I went with DMMs servos and CSMIO controller. They have their own software now wich is looking promising. S-curve motionprofile and tunable "jerk" parameters, should be great for this size machine. Also python based so should be able to do anything going forward.

I have attached a picture of the steppers that were on my machine up until last week basically. They are SM2862-5255 (at 75v) or equivalent. Im sure yours are the same.
    Multicam MG Series 304 - conversion to run with Mach3?-stepperscurcss1-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

HI ack1
    I too have an old MG 304 but need a propper software to run it, can you help
    Maby you have some god tips to pas along
    Since you are living in Sweden and I am from Denmark I could perhaps buy some expert time. ?
    Looking foreward to hear from you

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Signtropper
    Since I am only making signs with my MG 304 I would love to buy your old software and keypad as well
    Is there any chance making a deal with you ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey. Do you connect using an ethernet cable or serial cable ?

I was running on win7 with no problems.

I know the Danish understand Swedish really well but I have a hard time understanding Danish I can send you the software.

Downloads
    Uploads

You really might want to consider the Centroid Acorn to convert this old system to something state of the art that is stable as a rock. The controller is $299 US, and the PRO software is $139 US.

https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid...ontroller.html

They can control up to four axis, and dual motors on the Gantry axis is also supported. Check it out.

Russ