Need Help! Multicam 44+ - a lot of questions

Thread: Multicam 44+ - a lot of questions

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Multicam 44+ - a lot of questions

Hi all and thank you for already providing a lot of info through you posts.

I just became owner of a Multicam 44+ Router. It's a model from 1996 and equiped as follows:

Perske spindle 4HP
    Mister
    2x X-motor
    Pendant parallel
    VFS (VFD?) EMS 606-PC3 (CIMR-PCU43P7) #43P7N1

Firmware: 3.26
    Board M23

It came with a bunge of dics and a working tower /w WDNC on it, as well a CASmate jr.

It's working fine so far, but I still do have a lot of questions to make this machine working even better.

Is it possible to set the spindle speed (revolution) by any command in the PLT file or can it only be set using the knob on the pendant?

I've got a firmware file for 3.27 here. Would it make sense to update? If so why, what changes had been made? Or better 'never touch a running system'?

The zero setting block was lost somewhere in it's previous live. Can anybody give info how this was build and wired? I guess it's connected to one of the two sockets/connectors at the spindle carriage, right? There are two connectors. One /w blue and blue/blk wire and one /w green and blk wire, which, I believe, is for a pressure foot switch. How to use the 2nd connector and connect the zero tool.

I could read about possibilities to switch AUX 'ports'. What was meant with that? Are there any other ports to switch, or does it mean the 220V socket at the carriage? What commands to be used or where to find out about the ports?

Does any one have a copy of the Mover Console (MC.EXE) mentioned in the users manual? I've got WDNC and MX, but not the mover console.

Is there a chance to talk G-Code with this old lady?

I've attached the wiring diagram that came with this machine. This might help to answer my questions, but it might be usefull for someone else seeking for knowledge/info about these one.
    I've got the manual as well, so if someone needs, let me know. I'm fine to share it.

Is it possible to use MX32 and/or PSS with this board? Wouldn't be a problem to run it either on a XP machine or compatible mode in W10 or a VM. Just need to know if board and software can be friends.

I was going to use (for experimental purposes first) MecSoft FreeMill to get files for 2D up to 3D machining. This comes with different PP for Multicams. I tried a part of 100x100mm, t=10mm. It's funny, but the part is machined 254x254mm ... Yeah, all know inch/mm... But the machine is set to mm, the PP to mm, the CAD to mm. So it should work. Might I have forgotten about a parameter in the post? Anything that makes sure to have that resolution or setting?
    When I use CASmate or Enroute (an old one came with it too) and draw 100x100 parts, it works fine. But it's not my intention to program parts on old W95 software, while doing them in a 3D CAD software. So FreeMill or any other (please recommend) affordable software should do. I guess there aren't too many left that can do HPGL.

By the way, any list online, that discovers additional, helpfull HPGL commands for the lady?

Looking forward to your replies or questions. If I might help someone, let me know. I can post pictures of almost every part of the machine. It's in good shape and original.

Closing information: By now I DO NOT intend to retrofit it.

Cheers,
    Tom

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Multicam 44+ - a lot of questions-img_20180511_181350-jpg   Multicam 44+ - a lot of questions-img_20180511_221718-jpg   Multicam 44+ - a lot of questions-img_20180511_211345-jpg   Multicam 44+ - a lot of questions-img_20180511_221605-jpg  

Attached Files Attached Files
    Multicam 44+ / DahLih MCV720 / DMU 50V / Nakamura SC-300L / Nakamura TW-10 / Güdel G70

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Multicam 44+ - a lot of questions

Is it possible to set the spindle speed (revolution) by any command in the PLT file or can it only be set using the knob on the pendant?

You should be able to in your program be able to set spindle speed by either a S or a F command, in a PLT format, now let me say I have only used Casmat a few times many moons ago, I am much more fluent in Enroute.

I've got a firmware file for 3.27 here. Would it make sense to update? If so why, what changes had been made? Or better 'never touch a running system’?

You are correct, it is much better to leave it as it is with the Firmware.

The zero setting block was lost somewhere in it's previous live. Can anybody give info how this was build and wired? I guess it's connected to one of the two sockets/connectors at the spindle carriage, right? There are two connectors. One /w blue and blue/blk wire and one /w green and blk wire, which, I believe, is for a pressure foot switch. How to use the 2nd connector and connect the zero tool.

I have looked at you electrical drawings and maybe I am missing something but I don’t see the input into the control board for the surface block, can you give me the wire numbers off of the wires going into the connector.

I could read about possibilities to switch AUX 'ports'. What was meant with that? Are there any other ports to switch, or does it mean the 220V socket at the carriage? What commands to be used or where to find out about the ports?

The Aux ports allowed you to add say a Mister or a Drill, and you could assign the equipment a certain command to activate. Problem would be now is finding what are those port commands, with the age of this machine. Multicam may have a old list in the archives.

Does any one have a copy of the Mover Console (MC.EXE) mentioned in the users manual? I've got WDNC and MX, but not the mover console.

Sorry have looked high and low but have not found any info on this software.
    Is there a chance to talk G-Code with this old lady?

Alas, G code is not her friend.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    I've looked up the wiring. There are two sockets at the spindle assembly on the carriage. One socket is wired blue and blue/black. In the cabinet these wires are connected to 1001 and 220.
    The second socket is wired green and black. Connected to 881 and 882.

I've tried S commands and similar command relatingto spindle speed (rev). None of them changes the revolution.

Multicam 44+ / DahLih MCV720 / DMU 50V / Nakamura SC-300L / Nakamura TW-10 / Güdel G70

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry for the delay, looking back at your electrical drawing.

1001 and 220 is for a Aux relay

881 and 882 is for a pressure foot

Just asking are you sure this machine had a calibration block, because I just don't see a input to the control board.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    after checking all possibilities, I conclude, that this machine never had a surface block. There are two manuals with it, one talks about the block, the other one never mentions it. Due to the fact that I could state the thicknes of the surface block in the machine settings I guessed that it could have a surface block. Wrong guess.

There are more things that came up, especially the problem not to be able to set the spindle speed by command, so that I just started a retrofit.

I'll write about this and more things asap to give others a hand when beeing involved with Multicams.

By now, I've in front of me, components from Planet-CNC to fit and have a Multicam Pendant, M23 and Mover 2000 (960 chip) that can be traded.

Thank you so far for those who helped to get here.

Downloads
    Uploads

What you need is the machine tools applet from multicam. It will run with xp, windows 7 or Vista. It doesn't really like 64bit computers but you can run the applet in a shell or install it with xp settings. it speaks hpgl, and g code. as far as the tool setting device that s also easily solved.The problem you'll run into is even multicam does not likely have these records.