Need Help! Multicam parts & software assistance

Thread: Multicam parts & software assistance

Default Multicam parts & software assistance

This is my first post. Have to say I'm impressed by the number of users and the quality of your advice!
    I have 3 MultiCams... an M Series 5' X 12' (around 2002), an older 6612 Plus (around 1996??) and an even older MC48 (around 1995) that isn't working.
    Both of the working machines use Pacific Scientific (out of business) 6410-001-N-N-N stepper drives. I have scabbed these things together about as far as I can. If one goes bad now, I'm going to have to start finding replacements.
    My questions are...What would be a good, compatible replacement board? Would I need to replace all at once?

Next, on the M Series, we are having a frustrating problem. The x-axis has started locking up at a few spots on the table. It does not lock up every time, but it is very consistent as far as where it jams (you can hear the stepper(s) squeal). We have taken the bearing cars out, rinsed them, made sure they were rolling freely and that grease was getting to all bearings. We have re-set the pinion gears. The rails and racks look fine.
    The thing is that it almost never jams during a cut. Sometimes we can do a full-speed move through the area without a jam. But when it is running a file it will consistently jam at the same spot on the tool up moves. It seems that slowing down the up moves and reducing acceleration would at least help a little. I use EnRoute, and it is supposed to be able to set the tool up speeds - but it doesn't.

So, after all that, my question is... Does anyone know how to set the tool up speeds (and maybe the acceleration) on the machine itself? I imagine it involves "Motion Mechanic" or "Machine Parameters", but I have no idea what to do.

Thanks for patiently reading all this and for any advice you can give!!
    Jeff

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

To answer your first question on replacement control, I actually have a complete upgrade controller for your MC6612. That I took off of a MC6612 this includes:
    2545 controller with KDM 20 keypad
    Stepper card for all axis
    Stepper motors
    With inverter and spindle

Second question, normally a machine that locks up in the same area of the table, you might want to check the wiring in the echain, checking for broken or frayed wire.

You can change your accel, in motion mechanic, are you using Jobserver or MX32

Call if you have any question
    Maurice Phelps
    678-548-1483

Well this is sounding hopeful!
    My immediate need is a drive or drives for the M Series. Can I mix drives or do they all have to match?
    I use Motion Mechanic, or I should say I have Motion Mechanic - I can't remember the last time I actually used it.

Actually, the 6612 machine uses the same drives, so if I updated it I would have spares for the M Series machine.
    How much are you asking? Why did you take an upgrade off of the machine??? Do you need to sell the whole kit or can you piece it out?

And thanks for replying!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry for the delay,

With the stepper card, there is no need for the cards to match. Just as long you latch the DIP switch setting for the cards you are replacing. The MC6612 that i removed the control box from was from a sign shop closing its' doors, I did list the the machine for sale but had no interest in the machine, so I removed the control from the machine. I would like sale the control cabinet complete, because this is a complete package that would allow a upgrade of the MC, I would like to sale the kit at 3500.00, and yes I can install this on to your MC for a additional charge.

if you have any question, please ask or call.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Multicam parts & software assistance

did anyone ever figure out a newer upgrade for the atc stepper drive card 6410-001-n-n-n ?

Default Re: Multicam parts & software assistance

Short answer to the above, in case anyone else wonders
    There is no need to replace ALL drivers if you replace just one with another driver.
    You can replace it with absolutely any 2-phase stepper driver you find, and it WILL drive your stepper. But the important factor is the amperage the driver can supply, and to a lesser extent; the "steps pr. revolution" setting on the driver.
    A driver with too low amperage, won't give the stepper the "ompfh!" and hold power it requires to perform the task it's assigned. You'll see this setting on any stepper driver using it's DIP-switches. (Notice there is a big difference between peak and RMS amperage). Steppers are rated in max RMS, and some "cheap" drivers are rated with peak values (which makes their RMS way way less).
    But hell, find the cheapest knockoff stepper-driver, and test it out if it satisfies your motor needs for power. only thing that can "blow", is the driver. The motors and cnc-board can absolutely handle a crappy driver.

This said; When replacing stepper driver, if you are replacing a dual X axis card, it would be smart to use the same drivers. Since they are to run in perfect sync, many factors that are not relevant to just ONE axis, could be an issue when driving two in parallel; pulse timing, direction change "wait", and of course switching frequency of the power output, could all influence the motors not running true squared.