Need Help! Mori Fanuc MSC-516 / 16M

Thread: Mori Fanuc MSC-516 / 16M

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mori Fanuc MSC-516 / 16M

Mori MV40 with a pallet changer.
    It’s a used machine we powered up for the first time.
    The mode displays MDI on the screen no matter what position the switch is in and reset is displayed on the screen as well just like it is when you push the reset button but it never goes away.
    The switches test good.
    I’ve unplugged the keyboard at the control but reset is still displayed on the screen.
    Power supply voltage checked good.
    I’m starting to suspect that we have a bad control.
    Any ideas?
    Wild guesses?
    Thanks. Rob.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mori Fanuc MSC-516 / 16M

Is the machine ready light on? (MRDY) It's out of E-Stop? What do the lights on the drives say? Are you all zeros?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by the_gentlegiant View Post
    Is the machine ready light on? (MRDY) It's out of E-Stop? What do the lights on the drives say? Are you all zeros?
    MRDY is off.
    Drives all dashes. (No numbers).
    E-stops all out and no e-stop showing on the screen.
    The e-stop buttons have multiple contacts so I’m going to verify with my meter.
    Edit- All switches good.

Last edited by captainkaos; 01-28-2019 at 12:51 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I can't believe that you have no alarms or messages on the screen. Do you have a three color machine light with red showing? You know the pallet station likely has to be completely plugged in and everything sitting as it should as far as tables in place and what not. Any hydraulics turning on? Even for a few seconds? Is the key lock in the right position for changing things?

What is on the screen? Did you see the long, operator warning message when fist starting up or any of the system type displays showing what boards are loaded? (These all may flash by in a hurry. The operator warning message though needs to be answered with a soft key push. Your machine may not have this.) Are all the doors closed and interlocks in place? Any lights on your AP-SFT interlock box lit? My 18M Mori of mid/late 90's vintage you have to open and close any door to get the machine to fully come up. But the screen will tell you to do that.

If none of the above helps and you can't get passed a mostly blank screen, I think you may be right that the control is bonkers. Though no warning messages doesn't help things any.

You could do the old unplug and re-plug everything thing if the machine has been sitting forever. Though try not to unplug encoder cables.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks.
    The operator warning does come up on start up and can be cleared with the soft key.
    Hydraulics come up and show good pressure on the gauge.
    The spindle chiller compressor and fan pulse on and off randomly at start up but eventually settles down.
    The screen appears normal and I can switch between position and program etc. It just won’t come out of reset.
    One door on the pallet changer will not close and I suspect a mechanical issue. I’ll dig into that next.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mori Fanuc MSC-516 / 16M-71afad67-201f-4255-8ca4-91c48aa94cb3-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

You now Kaos, As dumb as this sounds, I think your RESET key might be stuck on. I know you unplugged the keyboard, but maybe it's one of those things like a keep relay that needs to be hit again to transition. That or the short is past the keyboard but in the wiring back to the control. Something. That area of the screen where RESET is showing, is where your input buffer is. Meaning when you type in MDI mode, what you type shows up there. The RESET key does not need to be pushed at any time during a normal startup. The fact that I see it there seems to suggest it's stuck on. Whether by physical electrical problems or some small control problem.

Good news is your control is likely not toast. You wouldn't get all the warning messages and such if it were.

So you can go to all the screens? You have yet to mention that there are any alarms or messages, this too makes me think the reset is stuck on. And honestly I think once you clear that RESET you're going to be up and running.

I may be on the wrong track, but look in your manual with your ladder and/or wiring diagrams. Try to find out what diagnostic bit would show you if the reset button is on or off. Hopefully your arrow and page keys work so you can get to those areas in the control to have a look see.

I just looked in my ladder book and see that there are a number of RESET areas. (RST - MRST) being the acronyms for reset and machine reset. Though there were dozens of other pages to reference to. YOu might try a Fanuc 16M manual that deals with the hardware. You would look for a keyboard map of some kind that could lead you to where to look for that bit. Of course that will only verify what we already know, but maybe it can lead you somewhere, and nothing like knowing for certain about things.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks again!
    I am really shy on manuals for this machine and the ladder is password-protected.
    I’m still poking at it ????

Downloads
    Uploads

The password is likely the letter L.

I would have a hard time buying a machine without all the manuals. You should contact Mori and get them at any cost. There will be a ladder one and another that describes every single electrical part, it's manufacturer and its part number. Plus all the connection diagrams. Especially on a pallet machine which is way more complicated then a normal one.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There are supposed to be some books with that but I can’t find them and the boss is gone for a while.
    That password got me into the ladder.
    I may button this thing up until the boss gets back.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by captainkaos View Post
    There are supposed to be some books with that but I can’t find them and the boss is gone for a while.
    That password got me into the ladder.
    I may button this thing up until the boss gets back.
    I’m having the same problem...
    MSGHIS has a door lock time over and an EMG stop I can’t clear...
    Was wondering if there was any solution???

Downloads
    Uploads

Please give me parameters mori seiki mv55 msc 516. Thanks.