Build Thread Power supply question

Thread: Power supply question

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Power supply question

Several years ago I started to build a CNC router, but life got in the way. It is time finally for me to carry through. I purchased 4 stepper motors model 34HS9801 from MotionKing. What I didn't realize at the time was that these are 65V motors, rather than 48V.

It would be more economical for me to find a power supply that buy 4 new steppers. Granted, 65V supplies are difficult to track down. I did find this one, and was wondering if it would carry the load for 4 steppers, 2 on the Y, the X, and Z

(PSVHP-65-1200) 65V 18A High Efficiency Desktop Power Supply

It says it is 65V 18A. It costs about $220, but again that is cheaper than laying out over $400 for new steppers.

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Power supply question

Let me give it a stab, your 18A supply can provide 4.5A per motor max for 4 motors. The motor you want to use is rated at 4 Amps so it seems that you are safe, however I didn't see any specs of the motor's Voltage so I am assuming that your 65V for the supply is what they are specified for.
    My question is are you using these motors on a Momus design? If you are then the motor maybe an overkill for this design, that is a lot of torque on the axis, and wight on the machine. Suggestion is to use Nema 23 instead of 34, anyways good luck.

Downloads
    Uploads

Voltage over 60V can be very dangerous to deal with. I try to stay away from it at all costs. If you are set on 65V, check out Meanwell power supplies. I've used their stuff in the past, just not at those voltages. They have a decent selection.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    you can run a stepper at lower voltages, higher voltages allow higher speeds with less degradation
    of torque.

Torque is related to the current....not voltage.

I fix welders for a living and you'd have to be incredibly unlucky to have 65V hurt you.

The most resilient and forgiving power supplies are transformer types....big transformers are not cheap
    hence the prevalence of switch-mode supplies in this power category.

The bottom line is use the highest voltage your stepper drivers can handle.

For instance my Vexta 5 phase steppers using genuine Vexta drivers poke out 150VDC!!!
    They go like hell....really good.

Craig