Jonathan's Build Thread - Page 8

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread: Jonathan's Build Thread

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm testing out a new Mach3 wizard I made. It's not quote ready for prime time yet, but it's almost there.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jonathan's Build Thread-screenshot-jpg  
    Last edited by GTFreeFlyer; 01-18-2014 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Removed bad youtube link. See post below.

Downloads
    Uploads

This link might work better.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks. Wrong link I posted.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So what acme screw are you using? 1,2, or 4 step?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Levictus View Post
    So what acme screw are you using? 1,2, or 4 step?
    1 - Slowest speed, maximum resolution. 20,000 steps per inch.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Jonathan's Build Thread

Well I finally got to running my machine again. I haven't really touched it since January. I was focusing all my time finishing up an 8ft RC cargo plane. Now that it's done and flying, I plan on using the CNC more often to make parts for payloads and also several types of release/restraint mechanisms. This CNC project is still very much alive and I'm sure I'll have cool stuff to post later on. I just prototyped one mechanism housing out of wood, and will next make it from aluminum.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do you have any pictures of the RC stuff?
    I built an RC plane years ago but never did fly it.
    Care to show some of the prototype payloads?

Downloads
    Uploads

Check out my YouTube page with same username.

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow! I haven't been in this forum in a long time! I see there hasn't been too much activity. Who still lurks here? After having a few kids, moving to a new house, other distractions, etc, I haven't even used my Momus in maybe 5 years or so. I finally resurrected it and got it running again. Here's a video. I've already made some parts with it since then and I'll share some more videos later on.

Here's the problem I'm having now: I was originally having issues with the SuperPID RPM sensor in the Bosch Colt. I had drilled into the side, near the top, of the Colt and had it pointed at the shaft inside. This was unreliable, so recently I moved it down to the lower portion and now it is just looking at the collet nut, which I painted half of it white. Well, on the first run it heated up, and the centripetal force just threw the paint chip off. Oh well, I'm running in open loop mode now which is kinda annoying. Does anyone have a good solution?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Still here, lurking :-)
    My X2S is still running like clockwork, I haven't had to mess with it one single time since that first bearing broke, years ago. Still using it with the 4th axis at least every week, making wooden rings with micro carvings:
    (https://www.flickr.com/photos/221346...57676113657160).
    Except for Jonathan, you'd have to know the history of this old Momus to understand how it holds these tight tolerances. I'm myself at a loss, it just does it and every time for years now.

It's refreshing to see such an equally old build light up again.
    Hope you doing well Jonathan, it sounds like you do... :-)

Sorry to hear about your PID problem, unfortunately no idea what to do about that, since my spindle setup is completely different.
    --
    But all the best - glad you're on it again,
    Mac

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Mac. Here’s the video...

Downloads
    Uploads

So after marching the molds you see in the video above, I realized my z axis was too slow. It was limited at 60 ipm while my other axes could do 600. I was doing the finishing passes at 300, but the z axis was really bogging down the feed rate. I now have a 3/8-8 4-start acme rod and nut in my possession that will increase z axis speed by 5x, and still maintain a decent .00025 inch per step resolution. I’m eager to try it out!

Also, I found my x and y axes were not perpendicular, so I ordered some hardware to fix that and make it more robust. Sad news is that the molds I made are now useless. Oh well, I still had fun watching them get machined.

I also am trying out some rustoleum high-heat primer and paint in the collet nut. Hopefully this will stick better and I can get my RPM readings working again.

Downloads
    Uploads

Still going! After another 4-year hiatus, I dusted it off and powered it back up. I just couldn't stand seeing it every day and it not being used. I totally forgot I had a faster Z-axis until I reread the post above. Yeah, the Z-axis is super fast, and is still super accurate even in the most shallow cuts. I've been using it to make some cool 3D terrain stuff. All I need is an idea and a purpose and I'll use the Momus It still runs well and holds tight tolerances! I'm having fun with the automation and tweaking the macros the way I like them. I'll have another video up shortly.

And nope, that high-heat primer on the collet never did work. Paint just gets thrown off. I went back to sticking the RPM sensor in the top of the router and hopefully it will be better this time around.

Who's still here? Who's still using their Momus? Have you added any more to your "shop"? I now have a 40W CO2 laser too. It's fun to carve stuff with the Momus, then engrave it with a laser

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GTFreeFlyer View Post
    Still going! After another 4-year hiatus, I dusted it off and powered it back up. I just couldn't stand seeing it every day and it not being used. I totally forgot I had a faster Z-axis until I reread the post above. Yeah, the Z-axis is super fast, and is still super accurate even in the most shallow cuts. I've been using it to make some cool 3D terrain stuff. All I need is an idea and a purpose and I'll use the Momus It still runs well and holds tight tolerances! I'm having fun with the automation and tweaking the macros the way I like them. I'll have another video up shortly.

And nope, that high-heat primer on the collet never did work. Paint just gets thrown off. I went back to sticking the RPM sensor in the top of the router and hopefully it will be better this time around.

Who's still here? Who's still using their Momus? Have you added any more to your "shop"? I now have a 40W CO2 laser too. It's fun to carve stuff with the Momus, then engrave it with a laser
    I was just thinking about doing the same thing lately. I wanna see if the ol girl still had life left in her. It’s been about 5 years since I’ve fired it up. I know I need a new pc and monitor, I recall issues last time I used it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here's the latest video of my CNC making some really cool pieces for the coolest Airbnb on the planet! https://youtube.com/shorts/vgQyruj5f-A?feature=share

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678