Mold base

Thread: Mold base

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mold base

I have a Boy 15S injection molding machine that I have not used yet. Since I will only be using it for short runs of relatively small parts I need an economical way to make aluminum molds that are easy to change. My thought is that the best way to do this would be to have the large part of the molds and the coolant circulation stay on the machine with replaceable cavities that are machined from simple blocks of aluminum.

What I am wondering is if I should go with a MUD base or make my own system. If I go with a MUD base there are several different brands and styles and I don't know what would be best for my machine. Can someone that knows more about this give me some recommendations.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mold base

Brian, unless you are in the mold making business, I would recommend just purchasing a MUD frame from DME. You can always make (or have made) your own inserts. Cooling should be in the inserts, not the frame anyway.
    I would size the frame as large a feasible for your press. You don't want to be limited in the future.

Doug Pryor
    David Wolfe Design, Inc.
    Akron, OH
    www.davidwolfedesign.com
    depryor@davidwolfedesign.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Doug.

I assume it would be the U frame bases I want?

I was also looking at the F.I.T.S. aluminum frames from PCS. Can you comment on them vs. the MUD frames?

For small parts what about buying one big mold insert, adding the cooling to the insert, then making one big 4" X 4" X 2" rectangular pocket in it that I can use for cavity inserts? Kind of a modular insert inside a modular insert arrangement.

Downloads
    Uploads

Brian,

Yes, I would go with the U Frame.
    I've not used the FITS frames but I'm sure they are just PCS's version. They would be fine it probably just comes down to price.
    We have used the I/C insert approach as well. What we have found is that eventually the mold base gets riddled with alternate holes for ejection, etc... and we have to accommodate past tooling.

But after everything is said, any of those approaches will work fine.

Doug Pryor
    David Wolfe Design, Inc.
    Akron, OH
    www.davidwolfedesign.com
    depryor@davidwolfedesign.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Doug. This will be an interesting learning experience. Hard to even know the right questions to ask until I get into it and get my hands dirty.