Newbie Dice mold for small production bench top or home brew injection.

Thread: Dice mold for small production bench top or home brew injection.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Dice mold for small production bench top or home brew injection.

Hello All,
    Great resources here!

Years ago I bought some dice of unusual shapes and I was wondering what it would take for me to make some high quality dice like the ones in the picture as a hobby. Could this be done with a small bench top or home brew machine and mold? Dice mold for small production bench top or home brew injection.-picture_2-solid-color-high-quality-acrylic-jpg

I think they are made form high quality plastic like a PMMA or or high quality acrylic.

Thanks for any comments!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Dice mold for small production bench top or home brew injection.

Sure, you could use a small desktop mill to make aluminum molds for plastic injection, and produce them (slowly) with a relatively inexpensive miniature plastic injection machine. The main issue I foresee is getting the recessed numbers to release. You would either have to draft them significantly toward the parting line of a two-piece mold, or make a mother mold which would hold multiple pieces that would pull off separately, then be reassembled before the next shot.

Alternatively, you could machine the positive dice, make rubber molds from them, and cast them using a 2-part liquid epoxy, urethane, or polyester resin.

Last edited by ger21; 10-15-2017 at 06:09 PM.
    [FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Re: Dice mold for small production bench top or home brew injection.

Darttman,

They sell these dice on eBay for about .(20) twenty cents each and free shipping is included. What is the profit margin?

7pcs TRPG Game Dungeons & Dragons Pearl Grain D4-D20 Multi Sided Dices Set | eBay

Jeff...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dice mold for small production bench top or home brew injection.-dice-jpg  
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Downloads
    Uploads

Unfortunately those are tumbled dice and they have faces that are not uniform which affect the rolls.
    I have looked into have the dice I require to be produced in China but they lack the molds for what I require. Now that being said I could have them done here state side but the cost per dice would be around $7.00 a piece but meet my specs exactly. I was wondering if I could produce the dice like I show on a bench top injector with a mold made by someone here or in a smaller shop. The mold would still have to be of decent quality for the finish and precision of the dice.

The dice I want to produce are of higher quality and are injection molded and will need almost no clean up afterwards.

Thanks for the reply

Downloads
    Uploads

I have looked into pouring dice but the quality would not meet my expectations. Injected plastic into a nicely machined and polished mold is the best way I could get the product I desire.