Newbie Buying first metal lathe - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying first metal lathe

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Buying first metal lathe

Go on Facebook Marketplace and get something WAY bigger, way better quality, and a fraction of the cost...

CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mcphill View Post
    Go on Facebook Marketplace and get something WAY bigger, way better quality, and a fraction of the cost...
    I'm not sure I would recommend this to someone who knows basically nothing about lathes and turning. There is a lot of good equipment out there and and lot of essentially scrap metal too. Unless you know what you are looking for you can wind up with a really bad experience.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hire someone that DOES know equipment, and don't waste money on toys. There are SO MANY crazy amazing deals on FB Marketplace, it's crazy!!! I got a 4-Axis Hitachi Seiki 30-tool changer CNC for $3000... Perfectly fine machine with a damaged Z axis servo. So throw in $2k and I got a $60k machine for $5k. Nuts!

CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining...

Downloads
    Uploads

Just as an FYI.. at this point I am now leaning towards the Grizzly G0752Z. I am a little shocked myself. Two days ago I would have bet money that I would go with one of the two LMS machines I posted in my very first post. I really hope I don't end up with buyer's remorse however. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope the a full tear-down and rebuild wont be required. It is probably several more weeks until I order, but I do appreciate all the advice and feedback I have received here.

Doug

Downloads
    Uploads

Just another question... the 0752Z is currently out of stock. Does everyone think the Grizzly G0768Z is too small and it is more of a "toy" lathe? I realize the all the pro's probably even consider the 752 too small to be taken seriously. But in reality, I'm just looking for something to screw around with in the garage. I have nothing in mind that I want to build... rather just want to learn a new skill. I've watched a ton of youtube where guys are creating some really exceptional items even on the teeny tiny 7x14 lathes.

Doug

Downloads
    Uploads

I would seriously recommend getting a little more lathe than you think you'll be able to use at this time. I have bought from grizzly and found their stuff perfectly fine to use out of the box. Some cleaning should be expected with any new machine tool.

Everyone has their own opinions and it really depends on your shop situation, but I think a 12x36 is a good size for the home shop. It has enough rigidity to handle real cuts with accuracy, and is still mobile enough to get it into a basement (with a little effort). I'm biased because this is what I have, but I use more of its capacity than I ever thought I would.

You can always spend money on accessories, but you can never add more iron to a machine.

If you want a reference of the one I ended up with, here is a link (https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...e-heavy.68660/)

I say again though, this is my personal opinion, get what makes sense for you.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mcardoso View Post
    I would seriously recommend getting a little more lathe than you think you'll be able to use at this time. I have bought from grizzly and found their stuff perfectly fine to use out of the box. Some cleaning should be expected with any new machine tool.

Everyone has their own opinions and it really depends on your shop situation, but I think a 12x36 is a good size for the home shop. It has enough rigidity to handle real cuts with accuracy, and is still mobile enough to get it into a basement (with a little effort). I'm biased because this is what I have, but I use more of its capacity than I ever thought I would.

You can always spend money on accessories, but you can never add more iron to a machine.

If you want a reference of the one I ended up with, here is a link (https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...e-heavy.68660/)

I purchased a 7x14 LMS and it works fine but many, many times I wished that I would have got the one with the 7/8 or 1 inch bore. If its backordered... get on the List.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

I have the grizzly 7x12 lathe, knowing what I know now vs what I knew then, I wish I would have put the money towards something like a 10" South Bend lathe. The small lathe works ok, especially since I learned to grind my own tools, but rigidity and size of stock I can work with can be an issue.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks again all. You have convinced me to stick with the G0752Z. I placed my order... so now I just wait until the get them in stock again.

Doug

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dbfletcher View Post
    Thanks again all. You have convinced me to stick with the G0752Z. I placed my order... so now I just wait until the get them in stock again.

Doug
    I have had several Grizzly machines, and never had an issue.... Harbor Freight...., Yes.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    I have had several Grizzly machines, and never had an issue.... Harbor Freight...., Yes.
    wmgeorge: Did you completely tear down your Grizzly's when you received them.. or are a lot of the forum comments exaggeration regarding all the grit left in after the manufacturing process?

Doug

Downloads
    Uploads

Did you completely tear down your Grizzly's when you received them.. or are a lot of the forum comments exaggeration regarding all the grit left in after the manufacturing process?

Doug
    I own a Grizzly mill which required a surface cleaning to remove the cosmoline packing grease, but other than that I ran it right out of the box without any issues. I don't own one of their lathes so my comment is limited to my experiences. There is some precision alignment to any machine tool which you can mess up if you start removing too much stuff without understanding what you are doing. In particular, don't take the headstock off of the bedways. You can adjust these later on to get better alignment than the factory provides, but make sure you know what you're doing first.

Downloads
    Uploads

wmgeorge: Did you completely tear down your Grizzly's when you received them.. or are a lot of the forum comments exaggeration regarding all the grit left in after the manufacturing process?

Doug
    Never. You have to realize that some of these folks are Import haters. They would rather you purchase an old one out one (like I did) and spend hundreds of hours and dollars rebulding it like I did. Resale value on those or at least the SB Heavy 10 I did, was 25 cents on 1 dollar spent. Never again.

Downloads
    Uploads

I did the goofy thing which was to rebuild an import . Well it was mostly a teardown and clean. If your hobby isn't machine rebuilding or staring at old american iron then an import will do you very well. No the quality isn't as good as American made, but... the quality on those machines wore off 50 years ago. You'll do fine with whatever you get and don't let people get under your skin about buying import if that's what you want to do.

Downloads
    Uploads

I did the goofy thing which was to rebuild an import . Well it was mostly a teardown and clean. If your hobby isn't machine rebuilding or staring at old american iron then an import will do you very well. No the quality isn't as good as American made, but... the quality on those machines wore off 50 years ago. You'll do fine with whatever you get and don't let people get under your skin about buying import if that's what you want to do.
    And there are Crap Imports, you get what you pay for and there is a difference in those from China contrary to what you see posted online.

I had a Emco (not Enco) Super 11 made in Austria and it was older but fine quality, I need need to replace a stripped out gear as it came from a school but it was top quality all the way.

Doug
    A roll of shop towels, a can of WD-40, and an old tooth brush, the supplied tools, and a few hours of elbow grease were all I needed to make my Grizzly lathe usable.

Downloads
    Uploads

IM back again. So the Grizzly is 0752Z is not expected to be in stock until the middle of August. I have placed my order, but now I'm comparing it to a PM 1022V/1030V https://www.precisionmatthews.com/sh...022v-pm-1030v/. It seems to me the the 1022V with DRO is pretty close in specs to the 752Z but the PM also includes powerfeed on the crosslide and both left and right threading. The PM also comes with an AXA QCTP. Is there any glaring reason why I shouldn't choose the PM over the grizzly?

Last edited by dbfletcher; 07-02-2019 at 08:21 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

IM back again. So the Grizzly is 0752Z is not expected to be in stock until the middle of August. I have placed my order, but now I'm comparing it to a PM 1022V/1030V https://www.precisionmatthews.com/sh...022v-pm-1030v/. It seems to me the the 1022V with DRO is pretty close in specs to the 752Z but the PM also includes powerfeed on the crosslide and both left and right threading. The PM also comes with an AXA QCTP. Is there any glaring reason why I shouldn't choose the PM over the grizzly?
    I know nothing about the PM but it looks to be pretty nice. Do some research and compare. Try here > The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop Magazine's BBS

Downloads
    Uploads

Just updating. I have cancelled my order for the Grizzly G0752Z and ordered the Precision Matthews 1022V with DRO. The biggest reason was that the Grizzly is back-ordered to at least Mid August, but another deciding factor in my decision is the Precision Matthews is located about 1 hour from where I live. That might come in handy.

Doug

Downloads
    Uploads

I think you will be happy. I personally have no use for a DRO on a lathe with as nice of dials that come with the new quality made machines. Your always measureing anyway.
    On a milling machine.... they are a must.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you will be happy. I personally have no use for a DRO on a lathe with as nice of dials that come with the new quality made machines. Your always measureing anyway.
    On a milling machine.... they are a must.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast