Need Help! Mini Lathe Electronic Woes

Thread: Mini Lathe Electronic Woes

Default Mini Lathe Electronic Woes

This is my first time posting but have been a behind the scenes observer for quite some time. I'm in the midst of converting a mini lathe to CNC and can't find a solution to getting my electronics components to talk to each other. I've tried a couple of different wiring schemes and numerous Mach3 configuration settings and have had no luck.

First some background equipment information. These are the motors, drivers, breakout board and power supply I'm using.

The drivers, motors and power supply are new. The breakout board is a leftover from my CNC mill conversion. It was working, in conjunction with a UC100, when I removed it. I'm also using the UC100 for the mini lathe conversion. Mach3 recognizes the UC1.

I tried two driver to breakout board wiring schemes and neither of them worked. Figure 1 on page 3 of the attached driver manual shows my first attempt. BTW - this is how I had it wired when installed on my mill. I am getting 36vdc at the driver inputs. The UC100 is plugged into a USB hub. The green and blue UC100 LED's are lit. The BoB is plugged into the USB hub. The driver Red LED in on. Mach3 axis DRO's change but motors do not move. Motors are not locked up.

The second wiring scheme I used is Figure 2 on page 4 of the driver manual. Wired this way the driver green LED is lit. I have 36vdc at the driver inputs and the BoB and UC100 are plugged into the USB hub. Mach3 DRO's move but the motors do not. The motors are locked up, which is good. When I measure across the COM terminal and Pul+ I get either 4.6vdc or 0vdc depending on whether I have my axis pins set as active high or active low. When I press the direction keys on the keyboard voltage drops about .3vdc. If I understand correctly the voltage should drop to 0vdc or go to +5vdc.

So my question is, what am I doing wrong? I've been working on this for nearly a week scanning through several forums and taking bits and pieces and applying them to my setup. I could use some help sorting through this. Thanks in advance for helping out.

Tom