D&M 5 CNC Lathe meets Centroid Acorn, but can i control the spindle?

Thread: D&M 5 CNC Lathe meets Centroid Acorn, but can i control the spindle?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default D&M 5 CNC Lathe meets Centroid Acorn, but can i control the spindle?

Hi Folks,

I posted this elsewhere but this looks like a more appropriate spot.

Not many threads on this topic, and not for a long time. Maybe someone can lend me some wisdom.

I recently purchased an old D&M 5 CNC Lathe.

I converted it to run Arduino Due flavoured TinyG, with the origional stepped drivers, and was pretty dissatisfied.

So I converted it to Centroid Acorn, with TB6600 Steppers and it's working significantly better.

I am trying to figure out if I can control the existing DC spindle motor driver which has a 0-10V input, with the Acorn 0-10V Output.

The question I have is of DC common isolation, is it safe to connect the acorn to the dc drive?

Happy to discuss and share what I know so far.

Cheers.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: D&M 5 CNC Lathe meets Centroid Acorn, but can i control the spindle?

That's the way I have always done it. I don't know of any way but to connect the commons together without a signal conditioner. There are isolating signal conditioners available, but normally not required.

https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...227-ND/3595569

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: D&M 5 CNC Lathe meets Centroid Acorn, but can i control the spindle?

Yeah I agree with you. This is the schematic of the driver board. And to me it seems like the DC output from the acorn should be safe. But I saw one guy on YouTube who fried his acorn doing something similar so I am trying to be cautious. D&M 5 CNC Lathe meets Centroid Acorn, but can i control the spindle?-spindleboard-jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe get an opinion from Centroid just to be safe. Based on the schematic, it looks like the analog input is transformer isolated from the world, but has a center tap ground that is connect to 0V on the board. I suspect that the 0V is isolated from earth ground. Just make sure your system earth grounds are wired up properly.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Marty over on the Centroid forum strongly recommends an isolation device when connecting to a KB (or the like) speed control. Having fried a couple BOBs back in the Mach days myself, I took his advice and installed a KBSI-240D isolator board with the KBCC-125R motor control on my ORAC/Acorn lathe conversion. It works perfectly.

Milton in Tennessee ya'll!