Spectra Light: Light Machine Question about DB9 and cnc controller

Thread: Spectra Light: Light Machine Question about DB9 and cnc controller

Default Spectra Light: Light Machine Question about DB9 and cnc controller

New to the forum, got a steal on my first lathe for 50 bucks.

My light machine lathe has stepper motors with DB9 serial ends that are broke and I have no cnc controller

I'd like to convert the db9 to usb. If it's not considered practical, I have a source for cheap db9 ends.

Moreover If someone who owns one of these machines bought a cnc controller, what's recommended?

I've seen many running in the 25 to 50 dollar range. My steppor motors work, so if 50 bucks gets the cnc working that will be awesome.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Spectra Light: Light Machine Question about DB9 and cnc controller

If your steppers only have cables then you need stepper motor drivers and a controller. USB would be for communication between a PC and an interface controller, but in general its not the method of choice due to the way the PC treats USB (can be too slow - even high speed there can be delays), though some have overcome that issue.

You might be able to get it working for $50:

Being a lathe, if you want to make threaded parts then you also need
    • a spindle encoder back to the controller so it can know where the start of the thread is (might be on the lathe already and you just need to figure it out) and
    • you should be able to control the spindle (motor) speed/on/off as well

All that said - those are the cheapest options and you need to be prepared to put work into making it function - often times these parts are not great quality so troubleshooting is virtually expected...

Post up some pics of the machine and what it has, interested in seeing it.
    Mike