Hey Guys have a few Q's about a few bench top lathes . I have had my eye on LMS lathes for a while. So now id like to get one up and going soon. However not sure if im expecting too much from a lathe this size or should go bigger altogether. First off let me introduce my self. Hey im Kenny v a newbie around here. Little back round im an ole schooled class B machinist/ lathe hand. Worked on some big equipment a few NC CNC machines and some old clunkers that you wouldn't believe took metal off lol.. Been in machine field roughly 25 years. Started off working for a speed shop modifying race engines/ parts. Now I work for a private Co. doing small fairly Ez modifications, prototypes for their product line.
Anyway im looking to buy a new toy for at home. (Already have a mini mill) Btw I had an old craftsman lathe ..yea i mean old , must of tinkered with rebuilt 2 3 times head Bering assembly, tail stock , head shaft .It was good little toy but i could never do what i wanted to because it was old/ washed up. One of the problems was it had bronze bearings in the head shaft so it did not run like a true lathe should run. Anyways finally parted with it a few years back . Now id like to get something so i can tinker in the garage and make a few ideas come to life. Ok on to my Q's These are the two lathes that I am toying with the idea to get, use for a while, than convert over to CNC after I see-its capabilities

HiTorque 7x12 Mini Lathe, Deluxe with Premium Tooling Package
HiTorque 7x12 Mini Lathe, Deluxe with Premium Tooling Package - LittleMachineShop.com

HiTorque 8.5x16 Bench Lathe with Tooling Package & Stand
HiTorque 8.5x16 Bench Lathe with Tooling Package & Stand - LittleMachineShop.com

Can you guys share some work experine ( types of cuts/materials) perhaps mention if in fact you can you dial in these lathes to cut with at least a min of .001 tolerance? Or that is expecting too much ? All comments welcome?

Please don't shoot me for asking (only asking BC what I read saw so far.) But What do you guys think about the 10x 22 lathes . Is this lathe capable of much more the the 7' mods or 8.5 lathes. Correct me if im wrong? Is the 7x10- x12-x16 class can you dial in these lathes to cut with at least a min of .001 tolerance or that is expecting too much? Or is better to go with larger lathe altogether. Please someone share and compare its backlash and tolerance expectancy? Perhaps share your experience with these two size lathes 7x12 and 8.5x 16)
Sorry so long winded im excited yet reserved Thanks right now I am at a cross road of what size lathe to purchase before I even get involved into converting to CNC. Cuz id like to know some of their capability and what accuracy I should expect before bothering to invest time/ money into converting them. Who knows I may get two lathes ,leave the one for doing prototype and play around with the other one and convert to do some CNC work.
Sorry so long Thanks guys